IFR Personal minimums

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
Now that I have my IFR ticket, I am trying to establish prudent personal minimums. Out here in Nevada, if there are clouds it usually means we can't fly because it is either a thunderstorm or snow.

Me: Total time: 400hrs, 225 of it in my Dakota.

My thoughts are to start somewhere between MVFR and IFR.

For departure, 1200' ceiling and 3 miles in case I need to immediately return to the airport. Enroute, I'd like to be VFR on top, or be able to get there. For approaches I think 1000' and 2 miles to start with and work down from there.

With all this no T-storms in the vicinity and no ice either.

Thoughts?

If that's what you're comfy with, that's good.

I would caution you about the VFR on top thing, sometimes that's not too easy to predict or ensure

Around Reno ceilings are most often dictated by mountain obscuration. Since KRNO is already at 4300 MSL climbing to 8500 MSL into a cloud during winter around the airport will usually mean icing. A great tool to quickly assess IFR flying conditions is Skyvector which translates AIRMETS/SIGMETS/Weather Radar and other FAA weather products into a graphical depiction.

I started out requiring ceilings at 1000, and then lowered it from there. I also started out requiring stable air in IMC. Now, just no "yellow" cells on the stormscope in IMC or flying into towers. No IMC below freezing, no crossing fronts, no mountain winds over 30 knots. No Sierra crossings in IMC when there is any threat of ice, thunderstorms, or high winds (i.e., hardly ever).

If that's what you're comfy with, that's good.

I would caution you about the VFR on top thing, sometimes that's not too easy to predict or ensure

This! My last IFR flight I was too break out and be clear on top. I climbed to my assigned 7k ft altitude and the next 1.5 hours I never saw the ground or the sun. Always be ready for it to not be what you are told it will be!

I started out requiring ceilings at 1000, and then lowered it from there. I also started out requiring stable air in IMC. Now, just no "yellow" cells on the stormscope in IMC or flying into towers. No IMC below freezing, no crossing fronts, no mountain winds over 30 knots. No Sierra crossings in IMC when there is any threat of ice, thunderstorms, or high winds (i.e., hardly ever).

I've been thinking about no precip, period, but because of my paint. How hard is rain on paint? Especially original, 36 year old paint?

This! My last IFR flight I was too break out and be clear on top. I climbed to my assigned 7k ft altitude and the next 1.5 hours I never saw the ground or the sun. Always be ready for it to not be what you are told it will be!

Maybe a dumb question but couldn't you have requested a higher altitude and tried to get on top?

Along the same lines what is the average "thickness" of clouds on those dreary overcast days. If ceilings are say 1000 AGL what would one expect or maybe hope the tops were? Are there any typical #'s to go by?

Maybe a dumb question but couldn't you have requested a higher altitude and tried to get on top?

Along the same lines what is the average "thickness" of clouds on those dreary overcast days. If ceilings are say 1000 AGL what would one expect or maybe hope the tops were? Are there any typical #'s to go by?

This is where the skew-t charts come in, I think. But I haven't learned to read them yet.

I could have and I thought about it. But I knew the bases were rather high so it was just practice at that point, I had an out if it got crazy. Ive noticed on just a plain ol overcast day the thickness is usually around 3k feet in my area. Usually, skew t's get pretty close actually so I try to always glance at them as all I know how to read of them is cloud bottoms and tops.

I've been thinking about no precip, period, but because of my paint. How hard is rain on paint? Especially original, 36 year old paint?
I can't answer that, but I'll fly VFR in light precipitation, as long as the visibility is high enough and there isn't a nasty temperature inversion around that puts me below freezing.

Would that change based on flying a different plane? (e.g., one with FIKI, etc)

This is where the skew-t charts come in, I think. But I haven't learned to read them yet.

I want to learn the skew-t's, but I just pay Aerovie to interpret and analyze the data for me through their Vertical Weather Profile. Makes it so much easier and it's been correct 98% of the time I've flown with the data. Just another tool in the kitbag if you so choose.

Vertical Weather Profile : Details

Aerovie analyzes dozens of Skew-T (soundings) based on the time your aircraft will cross certain points along your route of flight. If your flight is departing within the next hours Aerovie will analyze radar imagery to find nearby precipitation which will be shown as follows:

Rain = Lower dbZ values and no lightning detected as rain mosaic.
Thunderstorm = High dbZ values OR lightning detected as thunderstorm mosaic
Snow = Snow showers detected as snow mosaic
Freezing Rain = Freezing Rain Detected as FZRN mosaic

The vertical extent to precipitation is the highest detected cloud or if no clouds exist then all altitudes. It’s important to note the precipitation types are those received at the surface, different precipitation types may be encountered at altitude than depicted.

http://aerovie.com/documentation/

Cheers,
Brian

I want to learn the skew-t's, but I just pay Aerovie to interpret and analyze the data for me through their Vertical Weather Profile. Makes it so much easier and it's been correct 98% of the time I've flown with the data. Just another tool in the kitbag if you so choose.

http://aerovie.com/documentation/

Cheers,
Brian
Hell to the yes +1000. really impressed with that product.

Just downloaded this app - where do I find the vertical weather profile?

Now that I have my IFR ticket, I am trying to establish prudent personal minimums. Out here in Nevada, if there are clouds it usually means we can't fly because it is either a thunderstorm or snow.

Me: Total time: 400hrs, 225 of it in my Dakota.

My thoughts are to start somewhere between MVFR and IFR.

For departure, 1200' ceiling and 3 miles in case I need to immediately return to the airport. Enroute, I'd like to be VFR on top, or be able to get there. For approaches I think 1000' and 2 miles to start with and work down from there.

With all this no T-storms in the vicinity and no ice either.

Thoughts?
Sounds good. . .recency of experience mattered to me when I was lower time; 225 hours means you know your airplane pretty good. . .unless you only flew 25 in the last year.

My initial mins were to have at least 1000' ceilings below me. Once you get more time, you can relax that.
My instructor suggested that I not launch into anything that required the filing of an alternate due to weather conditions forecast at the destination until I'd flown a few more approaches.

Sounds good. . .recency of experience mattered to me when I was lower time; 225 hours means you know your airplane pretty good. . .unless you only flew 25 in the last year.

225 hours in 18 months... 150 in the last year. I think I know the plane pretty well.

So why does snow bother you?

Just remember even a skew t isn't going to guarantee VFR on top, if you launch IFR be prepared to be IMC the whole time, if you're VFR on top that's just a bonus

So why does snow bother you?

Snow, well it cuts forward viz more than anything, it can be really distracting at night, and depending on the size of your airport it can really change your ground performance.

Got no problem with VFR in snow, but knowing what I know now, I'd only do it if I was IFR capable.

Of course.

Cool. I like that. I know a couple of folks with things like that who wouldn't alter their minimums. But that probably has more to do with their proficiency than anything

I want to learn the skew-t's, but I just pay Aerovie to interpret and analyze the data for me through their Vertical Weather Profile.

Was all excited until I find out it's apple only. :(

Looks like a great app, though.

Cool. I like that. I know a couple of folks with things like that who wouldn't alter their minimums. But that probably has more to do with their proficiency than anything

Well, the reason I don't fly in ice is because none of the planes I fly are adequately equipped for it. So, yes, light icing would be a possibility if the aircraft was certified for it.

Mountain winds over 30 knots can be countered by a much higher flying aircraft. If I fly over the Sierra at 18000 feet over Tahoe, that's a 1.5 miles above the peaks, and the 30 knot winds may not be so nasty. Then, the question is, how stable the air is.

225 hours in 18 months... 150 in the last year. I think I know the plane pretty well.
Sounds good then - granted, I'm just another pilot on the internet, but your minimums seem reasonable. I think (and could be wrong) total time is somewhat over-rated, and recent experience somewhat under-rated.

Back