IFR - personal minimums question

You flying it?
Right now I’m not. I haven’t looked at the charts for terrain or anything else, but I’ve had it drilled into me so far to stay in clear air in freezing temps. I’m assuming that’s offshore moisture coming in, so fairly saturated. This is the kind of lesson I don’t mind learning.

@Rgbeard

I looked at the charts just now. MEAs in that area are >8000 in some cases. In your scenario tops are 7000’-ish. Temps at those altitudes are probably <-4C, so likely descending through a dense layer in freezing temps.

If I’ve been told to not mix freezing temps with visible moisture, then there would have to be a plan B. Plan B might be to drive.

Am I missing something?

Widespread expected icing conditions are just a no-go for me. So making trips on any semblance of a schedule in the winter months near the Great Lakes is questionable without a stretch of friendly weather. I've made one flight through the lake effect corridor that required a brief climb through a thin cloud layer with potential icing possible to cruising altitude well on top. This is a pretty common scenario in late fall and spring in Central New York, where juicy lake effect clouds are present, but typically top out at 6000-8000 MSL. When making the IFR climb I went IMC at about 2000 MSL, temps were around -2C, but no icing was observed. I broke out at 6000 MSL and enjoyed a sunny cruise at 8000 MSL above a solid undercast for most of the entire flight. Conditions improved at the destination, but a brief descent and approach under similar conditions would not have been a deal breaker. Just minimize IMC time during the descent as much as possible. Make those tops at 10,000 MSL with temps below 0C and it's a definite no-go. Fortunately, the weather products are pretty good now at predicting cloud tops, ceilings, and potential icing conditions. Treat those forecasts conservatively to make good decisions, and know the limits of your airplane. Mine doesn't handle icing gracefully. If you are forced to stay in cloud when icing is possible, you don't want to get into a pickle between terrain and icing conditions. I'm much more comfortable and feel I have more options if I can get on top. Flying this way I've never picked up more than a trace of icing. Such is life being a private pilot with and IFR rating, and a basic light single. It's basically a "no-stress" way to travel in MFVR or light IFR conditions in benign weather.

Back