IFR Panel for RV-8

wilkersk

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
KennyW
I was reading up on Dynon's new ADSB 2020 compliant GPS receiver for their SkyView system. And, I see its WAAS. But, its not TSO C146a ( it is only $580).
So, its not approved for VNAV/LPV.

I'm thinking I don't need it. I'll just get a used NAV/COM with glide slope and AIRINC-429 output. This should tie right into the SkyView system and provide ILS/loc capability, right?

Thoughts?

You will likely find more folks knowledgeable about experimental avionics here:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=127210

Also, you are referencing apples and oranges with your approaches. VNAV/LPV are GPS approaches while a NAV/COM with glide slope to provide ILS/loc capability are not GPS approaches. If you want VNAV/LPV approaches, you will need an IFR GPS such as a 430w.

Last edited:
I was reading up on Dynon's new ADSB 2020 compliant GPS receiver for their SkyView system. And, I see its WAAS. But, its not TSO C146a ( it is only $580).
So, its not approved for VNAV/LPV.

I'm thinking I don't need it. I'll just get a used NAV/COM with glide slope and AIRINC-429 output. This should tie right into the SkyView system and provide ILS/loc capability, right?

Thoughts?

It should provide the limited capacity yes, but why would you you want to give up VNAV/LPV if you are actually going to fly IFR? Sounds like false economy you will regret, and will be wasted expense (installs cost). It's really best to just bite the bullet and buy a Garmin WAAS box. Both of the Garmin series have low cost WAAS GPS function only that can be coupled with a lower cost Nav Com to get it a bit cheaper than the full tri function 430/530/650/750 models. But in the end, you loose enough functionality with the coms look up database, that the savings seem less worthwhile in light of the convenience you could have bought with it.

Trying to cheap on the radio is a tough deal. At least you can get great PFD/MFD and autopilot options at huge discount to certified, but the primary driver box, that's still a sticking point where you just have to pay what it costs everybody to get. Really that's not too bad.

If I had to do it on a budget, I would find a trade in 430w and get a FlightStream 210, and use it with Garmin Pilot or Foreflight to operate the nav functions. That gets you everything at minimum cost, and not have to interface with the godawfull GNS interface. With Garmin pilot I get basically the same interface as using the GTN 650/750 series, so that's what I use to maintain commonality.

The dynon is not approved for /g in any way. It is not approved for enroute use. To get the benefit of /g you need the expensive box.

Bob

Back