IFR Minimums

teethdoc

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
teethdoc
I'm looking at buying a plane soon and want to jump right into getting my instrument ticket. What would you consider the minimum equipment to have in the plane? Would you consider anything without at least a 430?

I'd try to buy it with a 430w or better if possible. The reason is that while you won't really care when you are training for your rating, you will definitely want one after you get your instrument. And it typically makes more financial sense to buy an airplane that is already equipped how you want it. Getting cleared direct to your destination is awesome, and the GPS opens up a TON of approaches. Many of which are LPV. Its like having an ILS at a whole bunch of podunk airports.

However, if you find a smoking deal on something with at least dual nav/com and one glideslope, buy that. Get your rating and then add GPS.

I'm looking at buying a plane soon and want to jump right into getting my instrument ticket.
I've done 10-day courses with folks like that before, and it either takes significantly longer than 10 days or else it ends badly. Be prepared for extra time to get comfortable in the plane, and make sure your training instructor is ready to do a transition course in conjunction with the IR course.

What would you consider the minimum equipment to have in the plane?
That really depends on what you want to do with it and what your budget is. However, there are probably good reasons that over 100,000 Garmin 430/530 units are out there in the fleet, and I've yet to meet anyone who regretted getting something like that. So, if you can afford it, I recommend it. Only question is which one to get, from a used non-WAAS GNS430 to a new GTN750, and that is probably dependent mostly on funds available.

Would you consider anything without at least a 430?
Not unless the price allowed me to install one after purchase and stay within budget.

Just remember, it's normally cheaper to buy something that is already equipped the way you want it than to install the equipment later. When it comes to real-world IFR flying vs IFR training, at some point you'll want "it all" (including an autopilot) so do your shopping accordingly.

Thanks for the advice guys. Thats pretty much what I assumed, but I don't know enough to know what I don't know. Cap'n, I did not mean quite that fast. I'll spend some time in transition first.

Although there's nothing wrong with flying /A, you will find yourself wanting to fly /G. Since conventional approaches and navaids are disappearing in favor of GPS approaches, an IFR GPS becomes minimum equipment just to get in to many airports. I've spent a lot of time flying with different IFR GPSs, and the 430/530 series is definitely the best from a perspective of user friendliness and has the added benefit of being extremely popular and likely to continue to be supported for years to come. So, I would tend to look for a 430 at a minimum.

To upgrade a 430 or 530 to its W equivalent is $3,000 and involves swapping the unit, the antenna, and the antenna cable (if your cable isn't already of sufficient quality). It's a very simple task that any A&P can do, so if you find an apropriately priced plane with a 430 that meets all your other criteria, wouldn't quibble over not having the W and do the upgrade.

I'd also recommend looking for a 530 if you can. The 530's larger screen I find does make a difference, and its primary nav page (which I consider to be the IFR page) is great. Just some input.

Although there's nothing wrong with flying /A, you will find yourself wanting to fly /G. Since conventional approaches and navaids are disappearing in favor of GPS approaches, an IFR GPS becomes minimum equipment just to get in to many airports.
No kidding.....it is getting to be where not having an IFR GPS can really limit your options in some parts of the country. It is a combination of legacy systems being decommissioned with an increase in airports getting GPS approaches that previously had no approach at all.

If I were looking to buy a plane now that I intended to use for IFR, I would definitely look for a 430 as a minimum starting point.

No kidding.....it is getting to be where not having an IFR GPS can really limit your options in some parts of the country. It is a combination of legacy systems being decommissioned with an increase in airports getting GPS approaches that previously had no approach at all.

If I were looking to buy a plane now that I intended to use for IFR, I would definitely look for a 430 as a minimum starting point.

There can be one caveat that may not apply to our friend here, and that is for buying an airplane that is in good shape mechanically but needs avionics, with a value enough to make it worth doing the install. This is probably increasingly rare these days with low aircraft values.

The four planes in our club are 1 /U, 2 /A and 1 /G. I want /A at a minimum. I really miss the DME when flying the Arrow. But, /G is the easiest. ATC wants to give you direct, you go. /A and direct to a VOR, you need to make sure you can receive said VOR before accepting the clearance. I like the 430W in our /G C-172N.

Back