IFR MEA Question

Supposedly it is. But there are gaps here and there. There is (or was) one on V611 between the Colorado/New Mexico Border and KLVS. I learned that one when Alburquerque Center advised me we would lose com for about 10 miles.
I get that regularly but mostly due to maintenance. Which is another reason that the MEA doesn’t guarantee communications. Here is what the pilot/controller glossary says the MEA means:

MINIMUM EN ROUTE IFR ALTITUDE (MEA). The lowest published altitude between radio fixes which assures acceptable navigational signal coverage and meets obstacle clearance requirements between those fixes. The MEA prescribed for a Federal airway or segment thereof, area navigation low or high route, or other direct route applies to the entire width of the airway, segment, or route between the radio fixes defining the airway, segment, or route. (Refer to 14 CFR Part 91.) (Refer to 14 CFR Part 95.) (Refer to AIM.)

So you won’t hit a rock or cell tower and you will get “acceptable” navigational signal coverage at the MEA, but you may not have two-way communication with ATC.

I get that regularly but mostly due to maintenance. Which is another reason that the MEA doesn’t guarantee communications. Here is what the pilot/controller glossary says the MEA means:

So you won’t hit a rock or cell tower and you will get “acceptable” navigational signal coverage at the MEA, but you may not have two-way communication with ATC.
07/20/2017 Order 8260.19H Chapter 2
2-25
Section 2-9. Communications and Weather
2-9-1. Communications requirements. Order 8200.1, chapter 8, defines communication tolerances and flight inspection procedures. Even though gaps in navigation course guidance may be approved, reliable communications coverage over the entire airway or route segment at minimum en route IFR altitudes must be available.
a. MEAs or MAAs are predicated upon continuous approved communications capability for the entire designated segment. All available resources must be explored before restricting the use of altitudes of an airway or route due to a lack of acceptable communications coverage. Coordination must be effected with ATC for determination of the acceptability of communications coverage in a particular area.
b. Mandatory communications with the appropriate ARTCC are not required; communications with other ATC facilities are allowable. Where necessary, in order to provide direct communications with a center, appropriate recommendations for a peripheral site should be made.

They just issue an FDC NOTAM somewhere in the 40 pages of them, that says the Comm is ratty along Victor XYZ from one spot to another, and plow on. Nobody out West is too surprised when the controller says they’ll talk to you again in 20 miles.

Back