IFR in/near mountianous terrain

A couple of years ago, the FAA directed the FSDO's to elevate to the MIDO/ACO/etc requests for approvals for alterations which used to be approvable in the field. Ask your PMI if you want the details.

What you are talking about was a requirement for FSDO ASI's to use the existing manufacturing rules, Some FSDO ASIs were allowing STCs to be approved in the field. and some protected engineering to be used with out the owner buying the rite to use it.

What you are talking about was a requirement for FSDO ASI's to use the existing manufacturing rules, Some FSDO ASIs were allowing STCs to be approved in the field. and some protected engineering to be used with out the owner buying the rite to use it.
There were other issues, too. Ask your PMI.

Wander though the NTSB accident reports and you'll find several where self-generated hand-drawn instrument approach procedures were found in the cockpit. Since those accidents were mostly fatal, you don't see corresponding enforcement actions. Consider this as one where the FAA lacks the resources to detect violations unless you crash, but that doesn't make it legal.

There are also no shortage of crashes of people on published instrument approaches, indicating that you can be stupid and crash regardless of whether you're doing it legally or not.

The instrument system is set up quite well to try to keep you from killing yourself. Yet, some people are insistent on trying, and they'll figure out a way. Time has proven that one...

LIke I said about someone who says, "Fine, do it..." Whatever differences there are in Alaska (aside from one or two Alaska-specific regs, like the one on postponing night training for Private and the gross weight increase rule for commercial operators) are, I think, more a case of the FAA simply lacking the resources to catch them rather than a difference in enforcement action if caught. Choose wisely.

This. At least for part 91, 135, 121.

Though I will say from the maintenance side of the house there indeed appears to be much more flexibility with local field approval of modifications, as well as temporary restricted category authorizations (for external loads for instance.)

How did you get such an opportunity?

I'd kill to sit in an Alaskan bush plane

I took a 12 hour package from Scenic Mountain Air in Moose Pass AK for my ASES rating. When we weren't flying for instruction, we were invited to hop in for the egg runs.

I took a 12 hour package from Scenic Mountain Air in Moose Pass AK for my ASES rating. When we weren't flying for instruction, we were invited to hop in for the egg runs.
oh man, I wanna do that!

When there's a question about what is legal, there's a big difference between believing someone who says, "Fine, do it, no problem," and someone who says, "Everything I know says that will get you in trouble if they catch you." Choose wisely.

Who's saying "Fine, do it, no problem"?

I'm not the one who is issuing guarantees about what the FAA will do.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the FAA trot out the careless or reckless reg, but the fact is that 91.175(a) says nothing about off-airport operations.

Who's saying "Fine, do it, no problem"?

I'm not the one who is issuing guarantees about what the FAA will do.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the FAA trot out the careless or reckless reg, but the fact is that 91.175(a) says nothing about off-airport operations.

Good summary -- (It's what I've been trying to say: see Post #14)

It wasn't a reg change.

well............if it wasn't a rule change, What was it? Guidance ?

Guidance changes about every week. just like the IA renewal thing, the guidance was changed, but the ASI still has option to use their discretion.

This weeks installment shows the pilots doing exactly what I have said all along. flying in the clouds when they are in uncontrolled airspace and getting IFR clearances when they must enter the Class C, and staying visual when they have no IFR approaches.

WOW!! I thought this would be a simple/quick/stupid question.

I learned a lot from reading all your posts.

Thanks for the replies guys!!!

Back