IFR in Canada

Glenn C

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Glenn C
i assume we are charged a fee for flying IFR in Canada. Does anyone have a source for the fee amounts and how they are collected?

Nav Canada charges a QUARTERLY air traffic service fee for foreign registered aircraft. It is currently CAD$16.80, which is US$13 at today's exchange rate. This covers unlimited use for three months. This quarter ends November 30. Note that if you fly up there Nov 30 and come back Dec 1, that would be two separate quarters. It isn't just IFR, but would apply to any terminal or enroute services.
In addition there is a daily terminal airspace charge of CAD$9.89 for departures from the following airports: Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto (Pearson), Ottawa (Macdonald-Cartier), and Montréal (Trudeau) international airports. This is an ATC fee, not an airport landing or service fee.
The registered owner of the aircraft will receive a bill from Nav Canada after the trip.
Here's the source: http://www.navcanada.ca/EN/products-and-services/Pages/customer-guide-to-charges.aspx

Jon

Perfect, thank you!!

Now if I can get customs to cooperate for a short notice trip we're off

Went up and back with no issues from atc or customs. Thanks

Now if I can get customs to cooperate for a short notice trip we're off

This should never be an issue. I call up Canadian customs before I take off whenever's convenient. eAPIS should be a few minutes at most for you to get your automated response, the main thing is making sure that when you call up for your return airport of entry that eAPIS is already filed and that on both sides you know what hours and airports you can land at. Main thing that may be an issue on short notice is the customs sticker, but if you click the "expedite" button and pay the extra $6, I've found that usually takes under a week.

Glad you had an easy trip. It’s all in the preparation.

I cleared at Northway, AK last month with no sticker, customs guy asked me if I wanted one. So apparently you can buy a sticker when you clear.

I thought I had seen that you could just pay for a single inspection on the spot, same price as the sticker. I found some language that said proof of purchase was as good as the sticker and it was. I showed him my email receipt and that was that.

Eapas was funny. I didn't get a return email and I called a lady that the aopa had a number for. She said that some people weren't getting their responses so just go. Canadian customs was cake. Just a phone call on arrival.

Canada very rarely comes to visit you when you come into the country. This time they did come visit me (bringing dogs in) and it took a while to get all the paperwork sorted out.

Yup, like 13ish USD for a few months,

Make sure you have a DTOPS custom sticker, I stick mine in the pilots door frame, eapis will ask for the number.
File a eapis 2hrs before planned wheels down, call canpas and let them know the details after sending the eapis, call canpas after landing and copy the confirmation number (outside of the rare times someone actually meets you there).

Reverse is the same, but instead of canpas call customs, normally the local office, they’ll meet you, one guy with a silly radiation detector another to have you fill your a declaration card and check your passport.

Landing late is ok, don’t land early

Be sure you’re talking and squawking when you cross

Don’t worry about radio licenses

Back