IFR ground school

superdad

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
superdad
The FBO I am starting my IR at called and said they have a IFR ground school that started last Thursday. Goes from 6-9 every Thursday night for 10 weeks. I would of missed the first class. cost 250.00.

I know that the test is good for 24 months but to be honest I am not sure I can finish or want to finish a IFR ticket in 24 months because money and time plus you never know what comes up in life and I also will be spending 2k to get my tail dragger add on this summer "a dream of mine". Plus my plan is to buy a tail dragger in the future, I don't fly long x-c or haul 4 friends to a vacation spot but prefer to do some short hops 200nm or less. Should I do the IFR ground school or just study on my own?

Last edited:
The classroom version has a few perks.... you'd get the study and test done with little chance of total procrastination. And you would benefit from the questions and discussions the other students would have with the instructor. And hopefully the instructor would be able to provide some valuable info nuggets of "this is how you would apply this knowledge" and "this is an easy way to remember what to do when it goes pear shaped".

If you're not ready to commit to the studying and training now, ask the FBO how frequently this class happens and does it always happen (aka they cancel because too few students sign up). If it's once a quarter, or spring/fall, then you can plan on attending a future class.

I also found out that the guy teaching the class is my CFII for my IR training. :) and the next class is June 1st.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good class but, as you said, probably little point in starting it if you don't think you'll complete flight training in the next 24 mos. And if it will be available again later you could wait.

Sounds like you don't even really want the IR. If you have the time and aren't in a hurry, I'd go with the class. If you want to knock it out and get it done quick, I'd do a self study course like Sheppard Air.

Sounds like you don't even really want the IR. If you have the time and aren't in a hurry, I'd go with the class. If you want to knock it out and get it done quick, I'd do a self study course like Sheppard Air.

It's not that I don't want the IR, I just know with my time and money I wont be rushing to get it done quickly. I would love to be able to fly 4 times a week, but I will be lucky if I can fly 2 times a week.

Can I get it done in 24 months? I believe so. Of course they are offering the class again June 1st which I already told them to put me on the list. So I can pick up the class then if it looks like I am clipping along in my flight training and on track to finish in a timely manner.

Perhaps for now, pick up some of the better reading material like Bob Gardner's "The Complete Pilot" series and Peter Dogan's "The Instrument Flight Training Manual".

These books (and others) will give you a very good foundation of what IFR is all about. They can keep you in the learning cycle as you save up funds for training and move through the current activities that are keeping you so busy.

Can I get it done in 24 months? I believe so.

You don't have to take the written right after you take the class. You could wait a bit and maybe brush up on stuff on your own. The class will definitely help you.

Last edited:
Should I do the IFR ground school or just study on my own?
That's like asking if you should wear boxers or briefs. The answer is "I have no idea -- which is more comfortable for you?" This really is a question of your own personal learning style, and how you learn best. In your experience, which system (classroom with teacher or on your own) works best for you?

That's like asking if you should wear boxers or briefs. The answer is "I have no idea -- which is more comfortable for you?" This really is a question of your own personal learning style, and how you learn best. In your experience, which system (classroom with teacher or on your own) works best for you?

There's a third option to boxers or briefs.....

It's not that I don't want the IR, I just know with my time and money I wont be rushing to get it done quickly. I would love to be able to fly 4 times a week, but I will be lucky if I can fly 2 times a week.

Can I get it done in 24 months? I believe so. Of course they are offering the class again June 1st which I already told them to put me on the list. So I can pick up the class then if it looks like I am clipping along in my flight training and on track to finish in a timely manner.

I did both, self study and a class... The class was not offered until the fall semester at our local community college and I started working on the rating the previous May flying once or twice a week... and hitting the books as they say..

I will say, by the time the class was done in December, I was ready for the written and the check ride.. And the class was a blast...

That is a great answer Ron.
I do not do well in a classroom. I either get frustrated with the guy who just doesn't get it and takes all the instructor's time or I feel like an idiot when everyone else gets it and I don't.
I did my US IR with King Schools back in the days of VCR and passed with flying colors. It worked for me but at my school back home we had plenty of spotty faced teenage cadets who didn't have the self discipline to do it that way and needed a teacher to shepherd them through. I am not quite sure which method is boxers and which is briefs but the answer is that it is an individual decision to which there is no right or wrong answer.
Stephen.

Thanks for all the helpful info guys, I have signed up for the next class. I will continue my flying part for the IR and keep plugging away at it.

Like I expalined to my PPL student that was hesitant about taking the class our school offer. Multiply the amount of hours the class is times my instructor rate which would cost him around 40 hrs x $55. Or pay $300 and get a full 40 hours of classroom instruction.

Sheesh.... IMHO you can certainly get it done it less than 24 months even if you only fly ONCE per week (caveat: not the preferred method).
It's a tough rating, no question. It's similar to starting over from the beginning and earning a second private, but it's a different *way* to fly.

A good ground school with an experienced instructor that can put the information in context is ideal, but that being said, the if you hear a bunch of flying "war stories" during the first class, it will be a waste of time. I do accelerated instruction and have put together some suggestions for my students. I've copied them below...none are bad, and hopefully the links will come though so you can check them out.
· Aviation Seminars: http://www.aviationseminars.com/
· Sportys Course - $199 (Video or DVDs): http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/learn-to-fly/instrument-rating-course.html?SID=sgsuvjb592r7c6d3u4t4rkucj2
· King Course (Expensive at $279): http://www.kingschools.com/ground-school/instrument-rating/courses/written
· Gleim Instrument OGS – Two versions, Part 61 and Part 141 (with AV presentations): Part 61, try a unit free – Least expensive at $99.00: http://www.gleim.com/aviation/online_courses/ogs.php?ogs=IP#panel_tab=General&panel_link=Overview
Part 141 link – Best value at about $125.00:
http://www.gleim.com/aviation/online_courses/ogs141.php?ogs=IP#panel_tab=General&panel_link=Overview

Back