IFR Flight Plans w/Multiple Airports

ahkahn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
92E
Hi everyone,

So I have a question that I would love to hear from the controllers on, but it's suitable for everyone.

Can you file an IFR flight plan with multiple stops? A good example would be KMDW->KFLL with a fuel stop somewhere half way... or a lunch stop...

I have always done multiple flight plans, but back when I did my IFR x-country flight for the IR, I filed 1C5->KFWA and then on the next plan KFWA->KSBN and then KSBN->1C5. I had a controller mention to me that I could have kept it all on one plan with the same squawk, etc. But, in all fairness, those were land/taxi-backs and not full stops.

Pros/Cons? Possible? Criteria?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

So I have a question that I would love to hear from the controllers on, but it's suitable for everyone.

Can you file an IFR flight plan with multiple stops? A good example would be KMDW->KFLL with a fuel stop somewhere half way... or a lunch stop...

I have always done multiple flight plans, but back when I did my IFR x-country flight for the IR, I filed 1C5->KFWA and then on the next plan KFWA->KSBN and then KSBN->1C5. I had a controller mention to me that I could have kept it all on one plan with the same squawk, etc. But, in all fairness, those were land/taxi-backs and not full stops.

Pros/Cons? Possible? Criteria?

Thanks!

Check out this thread.

In theory, you can file for and receive a "through" clearance, allowing you to land somewhere for a quick stop and continue onward without getting a new clearance/release. However, that requires ATC to shut down all IFR operations in/out while you're on the ground, so it's not likely to be issued unless you're going somewhere nobody else will want to take off or land under IFR for the next hour or two (or however long it takes you to eat lunch). Best bet is to file one flight plan for each leg, cancel when you land, and pick up your new clearance/release when you're ready to depart.

I've done one FPL when I was just doing an approach at the middle airport.

Otherwise I land and then file my new FPL from my iPad/ForeFlight once I quickly confirm that my route doesn't need to change for any reason. They turn around my routing so quickly that there is no inconvenience to me doing it this way and no advantage to filing a single plan.

I get "through clearances" all the time. They're common where I fly.

Just watch out if you try to file a round robin type plan. Start and end at the same airport with a couple other airports in between. Think - long IR XC while in training. SEA DEP sure screwed that one up a number of years ago. We finally got it straightened out once we were airborne, but they tried to route us back directly to our origin airport. Hey! What happened to the other two airports? :D

Just watch out if you try to file a round robin type plan. Start and end at the same airport with a couple other airports in between. Think - long IR XC while in training. SEA DEP sure screwed that one up a number of years ago. We finally got it straightened out once we were airborne, but they tried to route us back directly to our origin airport. Hey! What happened to the other two airports? :D
Typical. That's why I always file one plan for each leg unless we'll be staying within the same facility's airspace the whole time.

Back