Ifr flight plans and rerouting

UngaWunga

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
UngaWunga
As I sit here in a delta people carrier on the tarmac at JFK, with storms to the next blocking our departure, I'm wondering why the just don'tchange the flight plan to take off to the se or south to go aroundit. Instead we've been sitting here an hour. Makes no sense. How hard is it to reroute an ifr plan?

ATC constraints, coordinate with dispatch, rerun numbers. NY sucks when weather hits.

It's vfr here. The storms are to the ne. Are you saying the company files the plans, not the pilots?

Doesn't matter which way you file...JFK to ____ has to go over some designated fix. Filing to MSP via Tulsa VOR still has to go over the MSP fix.

And if the airlines handled it the way I did, it would ruin it for the rest of us. ;)

So delta captains can't just take of vfr and figure it out in the air? Lol

As I sit here in a delta people carrier on the tarmac at JFK, with storms to the next blocking our departure, I'm wondering why the just don'tchange the flight plan to take off to the se or south to go aroundit. Instead we've been sitting here an hour. Makes no sense. How hard is it to reroute an ifr plan?

Were the storms within 20 miles of the airport? Were the ground personnel, baggage handlers, fuelers, etc:, still working? Union types will not be out on the ramp if lightning is in the area.

Until they are off the ground and even once airborne unless there is an emergency, 121 pilot's pretty much just do whatever dispatch, MOC, ATC, etc. tell them they can do. Contrary to myth, they are not the masters of the aviation world.

Last edited:
Negative sir, no 121 flight ever flies VFR.
wrong answer, please play again later.
many 121 flights fly VFR. we did it all the time getting out of airports with no tower or no easy way to get a clearance. as long as the op-specs support it, and ours do, you can depart VFR and pick up a clearance in the air as long as you meet the requirements of the op-specs. key west when the tower and navy are both closed comes to mind. also, uncontrolled airports with no radar coverage, you cancel IFR and land VFR. again there are constraints on it but we do it every day.

bob

Part 121 sure has a lot of VFR procedures, requirements and limitations for something that some folks think is not allowed.

wrong answer, please play again later.
many 121 flights fly VFR. we did it all the time getting out of airports with no tower or no easy way to get a clearance. as long as the op-specs support it, and ours do, you can depart VFR and pick up a clearance in the air as long as you meet the requirements of the op-specs. key west when the tower and navy are both closed comes to mind. also, uncontrolled airports with no radar coverage, you cancel IFR and land VFR. again there are constraints on it but we do it every day.

bob
My mistake, I thought I remembered reading somewhere about this. Must have been incorrect.

Back