IFR flight plan @ waypoint

KBUY, KGSO, and KINT are all within the uncharted Atlanta center surface area, so any flight plan filed from KBUY would be accessible to any controller tied into Atlanta center. KBUY is situated within the charted Washington center airspace, but gets its flight plans delivered through KGSO TRACON which is tied into Atlanta center. So if you contacted a controller who is part of Washington center or any TRACON/tower tied into Washington center and asked for a clearance, they would not have access to the flight plan. Undoubtedly this exchange of responsibility for flight plan handling from Washington Center to Atlanta Center is so that nearby KGSO TRACON has access to the KBUY flight plans and it makes sense to be the handling facility in spite of the charted Center Boundary.

KBUY, KGSO, and KINT are all within the uncharted Atlanta center surface area, so any flight plan filed from KBUY would be accessible to any controller tied into Atlanta center. KBUY is situated within the charted Washington center airspace, but gets its flight plans delivered through KGSO TRACON which is tied into Atlanta center. So if you contacted a controller who is part of Washington center or any TRACON/tower tied into Washington center and asked for a clearance, they would not have access to the flight plan. Undoubtedly this exchange of responsibility for flight plan handling from Washington Center to Atlanta Center is so that nearby KGSO TRACON has access to the KBUY flight plans and it makes sense to be the handling facility in spite of the charted Center Boundary.
So you can't call a Washington Center TRACON for a flight plan from a Washington Center airport. Interesting.

Interesting. The old uncharted boundary different than the charted boundary trick!
lol. What they are are Center Surface Boundaries. The purple line depicts the boundary of the TRACON’s delegated airspace. Centers own all of the airspace. They in turn delegate airspace to the Approach Controls, usually a TRACON, but could be called something different if a Military facility. It’s not always about Approach Controls though. Here is where ZLA delegated space to ZOA to run KPRB.

1710091677215.png

I apologize if this other issue has already been raised. I wasn't ready to go back and reread the whole thread. So here goes.

One caution here. The FAA computer can mistake the 3 letter domestic VOR code for an overseas airport. I had an experience about 5 years ago when filing from a nearby VOR (RBV) for air pickup. Before taking off I called the responsible RAPCON and they did not have a record of my flight plan. So I refiled, waited a while, and called them again...still no flight plan. After flying the flight VFR, I checked my emails and found a notification from Flightaware that two flight plans had been filed for my airplane departing Ramata, RBV, airport in the Solomon Islands, south Pacific (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramata_Airport). Was surprised that the computer didn't catch the implausibility of my Tiger flying the 7400 nm between those two spots, but it didn't.

I later corresponded with an author on IFR Refresher magazine and she confirmed that this can happen. The fix was (still is?) to file from a location off the VOR. In my case, when I want to file off the RBV VOR, I file from a spot on the 270 radial at 1 nm (RBV270001). Has worked.

I'm curious why. Just a general preference for VFR? There are plenty of places where VFR vs IFR can make a significant difference in routing and other things (in both ways), but KPTS looks like in the heart of "Direct" country where there would be little difference in routing, time of flight, and pilot workload unless heading due north toward the MCI Bravo.
Because I like to listen to music when Im tooling along VFR. SiriusXM is great for XC flights - I don't talk to anyone unless I have to.

If I am going into NY or something and I cant go around - I'll just file from some VOR/airport/fix 50 miles out and pick it up in air.

I don't talk to anyone unless I have to. I would rather listen to music.

That said - airspace like NY/DC/LA - Its almost easier just to file IFR and get away from the busyness and cancel when you are clear.

Back