IFR Flight Plan Lost

NealRomeoGolf

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
NRG
With the ease of technology, I have been filing all of my practice IFR flight plans with my CFII via Garmin Pilot through Leidos. I get emails acknowledging that my flight plan was filed. On Monday evening I called up Clearance Delivery and they said I had no flight plan on file.

Does this happen often? All I did was quickly go into Leidos on my phone and file it again. He had it in 30 seconds. I can't tell if this is a Garmin Pilot problem, Leidos problem or Tracon problem. It's just nice that I can file it quickly from my phone while the engine is running and we're ready to launch.

P.S. I got to do a radar surveillance approach that evening. That was fun.

how far out did u file it for from the time u picked it up?

I have had that happen a few times recently where I filed thru GP and tower didn't have it yet. one time I had to refile, the other time or two they refreshed their system and found it.

With the ease of technology, I have been filing all of my practice IFR flight plans with my CFII via Garmin Pilot through Leidos. I get emails acknowledging that my flight plan was filed. On Monday evening I called up Clearance Delivery and they said I had no flight plan on file.

Does this happen often? All I did was quickly go into Leidos on my phone and file it again. He had it in 30 seconds. I can't tell if this is a Garmin Pilot problem, Leidos problem or Tracon problem. It's just nice that I can file it quickly from my phone while the engine is running and we're ready to launch.

P.S. I got to do a radar surveillance approach that evening. That was fun.

Where was the Approach

Almost every time I've lost a flight plan, it's because I've entered the wrong departure time. Doesn't happen so much now that the electronic filing things all take local time.

how far out did u file it for from the time u picked it up?

I have had that happen a few times recently where I filed thru GP and tower didn't have it yet. one time I had to refile, the other time or two they refreshed their system and found it.
Five hours before flight.

I think it's a Leidos thing. I file straight from 1800wxbrief.com and if it is more than 2 hours before the flight it just goes into the aether.

If I file within 2 hours, I get the email and text, and a FA notice.

It happens. I've had it happen both with the online filing and in the old days by phone. It's particularly problematic in the DC area if it gets lost.

I think it's a Leidos thing. I file straight from 1800wxbrief.com and if it is more than 2 hours before the flight it just goes into the aether.

If I file within 2 hours, I get the email and text, and a FA notice.

Hmmmm. I file straight to Leidos more than 2 hrs ahead of my departure all the time. Never had an issue.

I've had that happen once using Foreflight. I filed, had the confirmation email, but Clearance Delivery at CMH didn't have my plan. I refiled over my iPad while sitting running on the ramp, got a new email and all, still nothing. Finally Clearance Delivery worked with me and filed my plan over the radio.

I guess I should also mention I filed 2 different plans right after each other. The first one is the one that didn't make it. The second one made it fine.

Hmmmm. I file straight to Leidos more than 2 hrs ahead of my departure all the time. Never had an issue.

Weird, for me it always seems to not go into the system when it's more than 2 hours out. Time to file some flight plans, and see what happens.

Weird, for me it always seems to not go into the system when it's more than 2 hours out. Time to file some flight plans, and see what happens.

FWIW, I use the ICAO format and not domestic. Don't know if that makes a difference, but it shouldn't.

I forgot to push the confirm button a couple weeks ago. What I thought was cool was that I was able to file a new plan from my tablet while I was on the phone with KC Center (at the hold short line) and it popped up on his screen literally a second after I submitted it.

I forgot to push the confirm button a couple weeks ago. What I thought was cool was that I was able to file a new plan from my tablet while I was on the phone with KC Center (at the hold short line) and it popped up on his screen literally a second after I submitted it.
Pretty much what happened here. He said I could give all the info over the radio. That sounded painful. I just did it on my phone in 30 seconds and he had it faster than if I tried to verbalize it over the radio.

I always did ICAO as well. And of course I just filed for 2000EDT tonight, and boom, I got a notice it's accepted.

I always did ICAO as well. And of course I just filed for 2000EDT tonight, and boom, I got a notice it's accepted.

I think what the OP was saying, and also what happened in my case, is that we got the accepted notifications as well, yet ATC couldn't find it in the system.

I think what the OP was saying, and also what happened in my case, is that we got the accepted notifications as well, yet ATC couldn't find it in the system.

Yeah, but I also had it where I never got the notice it went in. If flightaware gives me a notice that I have a flight then ATC should also have it. I will await and see if FA shows it at around 6pm

I haven't had it go missing yet, but once what ended up in the system didn't match what I filed. Plan was accepted, email reply matched what I filed, clearance said the magic words "cleared as filed", but halfway to my destination approach noticed my entry in the comments had no relation to the plan in the system. It was a round-robin plan and the intermediate airport and several of the waypoints on either side were somehow missing from the middle of the flight plan. What was really strange was foreflight told me to expect exactly that and I just dismissed it as foreflight choking on a round-robin IFR plan. I made no amendments and there were no emails or other notifications indicating any changes, so all indications were that what I filled initially was still in place. "Cleared as filed" usually makes us all smile, but in this case there was an error in the system and no way to catch it without asking clearance to read me the full clearance anyway just to be extra sure. "Cleared as filed" now makes me a little bit nervous as a result of that trip.

I haven't had it go missing yet, but once what ended up in the system didn't match what I filed. Plan was accepted, email reply matched what I filed, clearance said the magic words "cleared as filed", but halfway to my destination approach noticed my entry in the comments had no relation to the plan in the system. It was a round-robin plan and the intermediate airport and several of the waypoints on either side were somehow missing from the middle of the flight plan. What was really strange was foreflight told me to expect exactly that and I just dismissed it as foreflight choking on a round-robin IFR plan. I made no amendments and there were no emails or other notifications indicating any changes, so all indications were that what I filled initially was still in place. "Cleared as filed" usually makes us all smile, but in this case there was an error in the system and no way to catch it without asking clearance to read me the full clearance anyway just to be extra sure. "Cleared as filed" now makes me a little bit nervous as a result of that trip.

If you can provide me details via PM, I can research. Cleared as Filed means one and only one thing, cleared by the route you originally filed. I recommend that when this happens, you file a NASA ASRS report. I have investigated several of these. So far, they have all turned out to be controller issues. When the strip gets printed, if there is a revision indicated, it is not the filed route. Also if FRC is added to the remarks, this is an indication the route has been changed and the controller is supposed to read a Full Route Clearance (FRC). Automation can modify the route by placing portions of the route within + delimiters. So if the entire route begins and ends with a +, this means the route is not the filed route. If only a portion of the route has the + delimiters surrounding it, then the controller can read the route between the + signs and "then as filed" or "as filed, except change route to read". The exception to this is if the route strip is already a revision, which means the change is to a revised route and the entire route must be read to the pilot.

Common reasons for missed flight plans are: filed wrong date or time; filed as VFR, meant IFR; filed using call sign ask for clearance for N number or visa versa; flight plan was rejected by ATC computer because it was routed to wrong center; filing from a fix or nav facility within 50 NM of a center boundary to wrong center; air pickup of clearance from wrong center; multiple flight plans filed for same airport and controller cancelled wrong plan or all flight plans; controller fat finger.

I finally figured out what happened. Somehow it got filed as VFR. I can't figure out how but whatever. I filed that one, then hit reverse route and filed the return. The return was IFR. I don't remember correcting the 2nd one but no matter. Have root cause now.

If you can provide me details via PM, I can research. Cleared as Filed means one and only one thing, cleared by the route you originally filed. I recommend that when this happens, you file a NASA ASRS report. I have investigated several of these. So far, they have all turned out to be controller issues. When the strip gets printed, if there is a revision indicated, it is not the filed route. Also if FRC is added to the remarks, this is an indication the route has been changed and the controller is supposed to read a Full Route Clearance (FRC). Automation can modify the route by placing portions of the route within + delimiters. So if the entire route begins and ends with a +, this means the route is not the filed route. If only a portion of the route has the + delimiters surrounding it, then the controller can read the route between the + signs and "then as filed" or "as filed, except change route to read". The exception to this is if the route strip is already a revision, which means the change is to a revised route and the entire route must be read to the pilot.

Another thing about the + signs. Doesn’t change anything you said, just an explanation about something that brings up a question every now and then. Question being, why did they give me what I already had and call it a reroute? Where there are Preferential Routes they will be put in all strips on aircraft that are to fly it. Controllers don’t always cross check to see if you already had it, they just give you what’s between the +’s.

I've had that happen once using Foreflight. I filed, had the confirmation email, but Clearance Delivery at CMH didn't have my plan. I refiled over my iPad while sitting running on the ramp, got a new email and all, still nothing. Finally Clearance Delivery worked with me and filed my plan over the radio.

I can research to find ouif you PM me.

Another thing about the + signs. Doesn’t change anything you said, just an explanation about something that brings up a question every now and then. Question being, why did they give me what I already had and call it a reroute? Where there are Preferential Routes they will be put in all strips on aircraft that are to fly it. Controllers don’t always cross check to see if you already had it, they just give you what’s between the +’s.

Sometimes the route can be expressed multiple ways, for example an airway may be part of the route but is only a single segment and using just the waypoints is precisely the same route, just entered differently. The automation does not figure this out. Many of the preferred routes also include radials between the VOR and a fix, using RNAV for navigation, this is the same as just the VOR to Fix.

Sometimes the route can be expressed multiple ways, for example an airway may be part of the route but is only a single segment and using just the waypoints is precisely the same route, just entered differently. The automation does not figure this out. Many of the preferred routes also include radials between the VOR and a fix, using RNAV for navigation, this is the same as just the VOR to Fix.

Yeah. I’ve seen it like that. Sometimes it’s just a duplicate, word for word so to speak, of what was filed, or previously cleared though. At least it used to be, it’s been awhile since I worked

Back