IFR currency

Flymeariver

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Justin
As a new IFR pilot Im trying to figure out how best to track my currency and still confused a bit. Are you guys using only the remarks section of your logbook to track currency? Are you doing holds on each approach or am I wrong in thinking that need 6 of each in the 6 months prior ( tracking, intercept, approaches) instead of a mix? How many do you try and do each flight?

JC

I fly with a safety pilot as often as I can. I usually manage to keep current through the summer months where I fly. I switched from the hard log book to myflightbook.com, easy to add flights, track aircraft info and track for currency.

Now proficient is a whole different animal. I always feel rusty until my CFII/ safety pilot puts me through the ringer.

If I fly a vor app then I intercept and track a course. I don't write that out. The only thing I list like that is a hold which I have to create, they never happen for real for most of us.

As a new IFR pilot Im trying to figure out how best to track my currency and still confused a bit. Are you guys using only the remarks section of your logbook to track currency? Are you doing holds on each approach or am I wrong in thinking that need 6 of each in the 6 months prior ( tracking, intercept, approaches) instead of a mix? How many do you try and do each flight?
For a new IR pilot I strongly recommend scheduling at least one hour every 3 months with a CFII to "refresh" your training. That way you'll stay FAA current and actually build competency.
After a year or two you can scale that back to an IPC once every 6 months.

or am I wrong in thinking that need 6 of each in the 6 months prior ( tracking, intercept, approaches) instead of a mix?
It's six approaches, plus any number of holding, interception, and tracking. The approaches are the only thing of which you need more than one. Newer logbooks have columns labeled "Hold" and "Int/Trk" (or something close to that) for you to put check marks in when you do them, along with the more traditional "Appr" column for you to enter the number of approaches accomplished. The only details needed in the Remarks block are the type and location of the approaches and the name of the safety pilot if it was simulated instruments (see 14 CFR 61.51(g)(3)(i) for that). If you have an older logbook which lacks the "Hold" and "Int/Trk" blocks, just put those abbreviations in the Remarks block each time you do them.

And be sure you logged some actual or simulated instrument time on that flight, too. :wink2:

It's six approaches, plus any number of holding, interception, and tracking. The approaches are the only thing of which you need more than one. Newer logbooks have columns labeled "Hold" and "Int/Trk" (or something close to that) for you to put check marks in when you do them, along with the more traditional "Appr" column for you to enter the number of approaches accomplished. The only details needed in the Remarks block are the type and location of the approaches and the name of the safety pilot if it was simulated instruments (see 14 CFR 61.51(g)(3)(i) for that). If you have an older logbook which lacks the "Hold" and "Int/Trk" blocks, just put those abbreviations in the Remarks block each time you do them.

And be sure you logged some actual or simulated instrument time on that flight, too. :wink2:

Thanks, Ron that was what I was thinking was the answer but wanted to verify :).

Thanks for the help guys, still plenty to learn even though post checkride :). I still plan to get some good II time as our weather only allowed for .5 of actual precheckride. Its nice to see people are always willing to help each other with questions on POA :)

My personal recommendation is to go with a CFII and do an IPC the first couple of times after getting your ticket. Sure, practice with a safety pilot, in addition to the IPC. Figure that it may cost you 4 hours of CFII time in the first year.

I'm not IFR current either since I started working on my Commercial ticket. I'll probably just go up with my instructor when I'm done with the Comm. test

Go out and get some actual,that way you can set your personal minimums. You may want to use a CFI the first couple of times.

logshare.com

I second the MyFlightBook.com recommendation. Before I moved over to it, I wrote in the comments section "IFR current until 01/10/01." As I got close to that date, I'd add up whatever I had since logged and updated the date.

Built my own database. Tracks passenger currency, night currency, IR currency. Displays it on the main screen as soon as I open it up. The only thing it doesn't do, because I don't really care, is give me a distance flown.

My log book has an IFR section to keep my record of IFR flights. I try to shoot 6 approaches and one hold each month.

FWIW, my current logbook (Jeppesen "Pilot Logbook") has a column titled "NB INST APP" to write down the number of instrument approaches for each flight. In the "remarks" column goes the type of approaches flown, where along with the name of the safety pilot if required. "hold & track" also go in the remarks space, learn to write really-really small :wink2:

FWIW, my current logbook (Jeppesen "Pilot Logbook") has a column titled "NB INST APP" to write down the number of instrument approaches for each flight. In the "remarks" column goes the type of approaches flown, where along with the name of the safety pilot if required. "hold & track" also go in the remarks space, learn to write really-really small :wink2:

Thanks, mine is like yours. Problem is writing smaller...no matter how hard I try that damn remarks section is filled up quick lol

Back