IFR Clearance - Non towered airport

The CD frequency at MYF always works, but I don't remember a time when it wasn't just going to the ground controller's headset. They usually tell you to switch.

The Soledad departure has been around a while, but you're right about quick releases. Even in IMC, because the pattern pounders aren't around, they get you out quick. Their management is apparently, quite correctly, training all their controllers to pick up the shout line and push SCT into releasing if people are waiting beyond whatever the normal time limit is supposed to be.

The CD frequency at MYF always works, but I don't remember a time when it wasn't just going to the ground controller's headset. They usually tell you to switch.

The Soledad departure has been around a while, but you're right about quick releases. Even in IMC, because the pattern pounders aren't around, they get you out quick. Their management is apparently, quite correctly, training all their controllers to pick up the shout line and push SCT into releasing if people are waiting beyond whatever the normal time limit is supposed to be.

Can you tell me how to get a TEC clearance in Socal. Do you file a flight plan with the TEC name in the route or do you simply ask CD for a TEC clearance without filing a flight plan. I've heard both but don't know what the accepted method is.

I ask because I was once scolded by ATC for not using a TEC route from KAVX to KMYF.

Can you tell me how to get a TEC clearance in Socal. Do you file a flight plan with the TEC name in the route or do you simply ask CD for a TEC clearance without filing a flight plan. I've heard both but don't know what the accepted method is.

I ask because I was once scolded by ATC for not using a TEC route from KAVX to KMYF.

Super easy.

You can either file the TEC route as spelled out in the Chart Supplement and out the TEC route in the remarks, or you can ask at a towered airport for the to input one for you - that works anywhere besides SBD, for whatever reason.

You will always use a TEC Route. TEC Routes are your Lord and Savior. TEC Routes are spelled out in the Bible of Flying San Diego to San Luis Obispo. If to do not file a TEC Route, and one exists, you will still get the TEC Route.

Super easy.

You can either file the TEC route as spelled out in the Chart Supplement and out the TEC route in the remarks, or you can ask at a towered airport for the to input one for you - that works anywhere besides SBD, for whatever reason.

You will always use a TEC Route. TEC Routes are your Lord and Savior. TEC Routes are spelled out in the Bible of Flying San Diego to San Luis Obispo. If to do not file a TEC Route, and one exists, you will still get the TEC Route.

Just to be clear, if you call up CD without having filed an IFR flight plan and ask for a TEC route, you won't get scolded? Even on a busy day? Do you just tell them /G without all the other ICAO codes?

Can you tell I hate being scolded? :frown2:

Just to be clear, if you call up CD without having filed an IFR flight plan and ask for a TEC route, you won't get scolded? Even on a busy day? Do you just tell them /G without all the other ICAO codes?

Can you tell I hate being scolded? :frown2:

If it is busy, they may tell you they can't do it, but I've never seen that. Usually, ground or clearance will just input it for you and read off the clearance.

If it is busy, they may tell you they can't do it, but I've never seen that. Usually, ground or clearance will just input it for you and read off the clearance.
Yeah, but he was off of KAVX. No Tower with a CD or Ground position to input it. It would have to be done at the TRACON and that can get tedious if they are busy.

Super easy.

You will always use a TEC Route. TEC Routes are your Lord and Savior. TEC Routes are spelled out in the Bible of Flying San Diego to San Luis Obispo. If to do not file a TEC Route, and one exists, you will still get the TEC Route
A question. Given how fast and easy it is to file these days with an EFB is cold calling CD becoming less common?
(Foreflight recognizes SOCAL TEC routes by name and I've heard Garmin Pilot may follow suit if it hasn't already -?)

I saw the great attraction of "local IFR" of all types where available in days of yore. But when I can check weather, plan my flight, and tap a button to file while sitting in the FBO, then pee, walk out to the airplane, and know my clearance will be waiting, I'm not sure I see any real advantage anymore.

A question. Given how fast and easy it is to file these days with an EFB is cold calling CD becoming less common?
(Foreflight recognizes SOCAL TEC routes by name and I've heard Garmin Pilot may follow suit if it hasn't already -?)

I saw the great attraction of "local IFR" of all types where available in days of yore. But when I can check weather, plan my flight, and tap a button to file while sitting in the FBO, then pee, walk out to the airplane, and know my clearance will be waiting, I'm not sure I see any real advantage anymore.

Personally, like you, I always file. I think the main use of "local IFR" these days is to pick up an IFR-VFR on top or to pick up very local approaches in actual.

Yeah, but he was off of KAVX. No Tower with a CD or Ground position to input it. It would have to be done at the TRACON and that can get tedious if they are busy.

At SCT, the person on the phone is usually deducted flight data, so it shouldn't be too hard.

At SCT, the person on the phone is usually deducted flight data, so it shouldn't be too hard.
Yeah. But the guy could get busy. That CD number covers the entire Socal airspace and there's a lot of it with a lot of airports.

Yeah. But the guy could get busy. That CD number covers the entire Socal airspace and there's a lot of it with a lot of airports.

Each area (San Diego, Coast, Inland, Burbank, L.A.) has their own separate extension and is handled by different people.

Each area (San Diego, Coast, Inland, Burbank, L.A.) has their own separate extension and is handled by different people.
I know. There are 'areas.' It was the combining of Burbank, Ontario, Los Angeles, Coast, San Diego and Palm Springs Approaches. The Areas kinda follow the old boundaries of those. Controllers just get checked out in their area and each area has it's own Supervisors. But there is only one CD number to cover the entire joint. It don't take all that long to type in a Flight Plan, but not having to do it will free up some time to do other things, like answer the phone and get the next caller a Clearance.

Edit: It's not that simple, read on, thx @N1120A

Last edited:
I know. There are 'areas.' It was the combining of Burbank, Ontario, Los Angeles, Coast, San Diego and Palm Springs Approaches. The Areas kinda follow the old boundaries of those. Controllers just get checked out in their area and each area has it's own Supervisors. But there is only one CD number to cover the entire joint. It don't take all that long to type in a Flight Plan, but not having to do it will free up some time to do other things, like answer the phone and get the next caller a Clearance.

It is one CD number initially, but it is not one person working that number. After you call the number, you have to press 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 (5 is San Diego, I don't have the rest memorized) to get routed to the right area's flight data person (or, if it's like 5 am, you might get the controller who is working most of the airspace).

It is one CD number initially, but it is not one person working that number. After you call the number, you have to press 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 (5 is San Diego, I don't have the rest memorized) to get routed to the right area's flight data person (or, if it's like 5 am, you might get the controller who is working most of the airspace).
Ah, didn't know that. Thx.

Back