IFR Checkride Flight Planning Question

AndrewX

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew
Instructions are to flight plan: MQY CHA TYS MQY with approaches at each airport. My aircraft is /G.

I'm not sure if I should plan airways / VOR or just Direct-to. I also don't think I should pre-select my approaches before I file. I've read plenty of POA remarks on this topic.

In real life, I'd file direct and get direct. That makes the most sense to me. Of course, I've been flying long enough to remember life-before-GPS and I don't want to come off as a magenta-line only type of pilot.

CFII's to follow. My student opinion:

I'd plan some airway, some vor and a different approach type at each. Sure, it'll take longer then -D-> but the exercise will be interesting and the questions of how you chose the approaches and the enroute will show your understanding of the system.

Probably depends on the examiner. Our local one usually wants you to do it the way you would really do it if it wasn't a checkride. But be prepared when your GPS "fails".

Can be either... but be prepared for discussing the airways, as it can be a lead in about what altitude did you plan (and why), and chart details like MEA’s, MOCA’s, and more. Plus the why’s and wherefore’s of those items.

All of what the examiner needs to ascertain was decided before GPS became affordable (cough cough) for every pilot.

Plan for life without it, and explain why it is of benefit.

You don't want to get failed because you can do everything right on GPS and cannot explain and use "the basic" stuff.

I don't have the d-CS handy. Is there a TEC or preferred route in there?

Probably depends on the examiner. Our local one usually wants you to do it the way you would really do it if it wasn't a checkride. But be prepared when your GPS "fails".

Good point. If I plan on airways, I'll be in a better position for GPS failures.

With the added “...with approaches at each airport” made me think to remind you to be ready to discuss lost comm procedures. Especially if he asks, “you are closer to your next destination than the airport you departed from and you lose your radio. Your weather conditions are _______. What do you do to manage the situation?”

If you plan it direct, be prepared to discuss the differences you get in obstacle clearance and how you’ll pick an altitude off-airway.

Be prepared to talk about that anyway, since he examiner will likely use either plan to ask about the other method. :)

For simplicity, have all of the IAP’s for these airports printed out and in a binder. Making it much easier (and faster) to access and refer to as the exam proceeds.

Review each of the plates to see if there is an easily overlooked “gotcha” that would make an easier approach more.... interesting (find my thread about going to Joplin, MO and missing the NoPT arc when coming from the south and cleared for the RNAV 36 direct to JEMLO).

If it is your habit to mark them up with highlighter and scribbles, do that too. Especially if it incorporates an important NOTAM such as runway closure or a navaid that is OTS. This can demonstrate to the examiner that studying the plates is part of your pre flight preparation versus just winging it 5 minutes before you are issued a clearance.

Interesting actually you have a lot of options between KMQY - KCHA

Practically you can go VIA CENOP
Most ATC cleared is VIA TIPPN
You can also sling off of the SYI VOR onto V67 and be closer to airports along the airway like KTHA, KUOS, and KAPT but you'd end up burning more fuel.

KCHA - KTYS

ETOWA V115 GROSS

KTYS - KMQY

VIA HCH

So many ways to do everything. I guess the idea is to have very good reasons for what you picked and why. Then there's also what ATC will ultimately give you :p

Interesting actually you have a lot of options between KMQY - KCHA

Practically you can go VIA CENOP
Most ATC cleared is VIA TIPPN
You can also sling off of the SYI VOR onto V67 and be closer to airports along the airway like KTHA, KUOS, and KAPT but you'd end up burning more fuel.

KCHA - KTYS

ETOWA V115 GROSS

KTYS - KMQY

VIA HCH

So many ways to do everything. I guess the idea is to have very good reasons for what you picked and why. Then there's also what ATC will ultimately give you :p

I really appreciate all of the feedback. Super helpful. I'm leaning towards:

KMQY SYI V67 TOBAY KCHA
KCHA GQO V115 GROSS KTYS
KTYS HCH KMQY

Good point. If I plan on airways, I'll be in a better position for GPS failures.
As an examiner (and no, I don't speak for them all), one of my pet peeves is pilots who do things differently than they would in real life simply because they're taking a checkride.

My perspective is that it usually is due to known deficiencies that they'd rather avoid than train. YMMV.

As an examiner (and no, I don't speak for them all), one of my pet peeves is pilots who do things differently than they would in real life simply because they're taking a checkride.

My perspective is that it usually is due to known deficiencies that they'd rather avoid than train. YMMV.

I don’t speak for them either but have heard similar from local examiners. Plan it like you’ll really fly it and be prepared to explain why.

Then they get to play 20 questions on the scenario and make sure you knew why or at least can defend your decision. They’re looking at your decision making skills. They know there’s ten ways to plan a flight from A to B.

Ask your instructor, he may have previous experience with THIS DE. Plan on diverting or dealing with failed equipment. Good luck!

There are some real world reasons to plan on airways (high MEAs going direct is one). Of course in the real world you pretty much file one plan, get another when you open your flight plan, and then fly another, then get handed off to a different controller and he changes it yet again. So changing flight plans is fairly common. But who knows what your DE is going to do. Even he may not know.

I really appreciate all of the feedback. Super helpful. I'm leaning towards:

KMQY SYI V67 TOBAY KCHA
KCHA GQO V115 GROSS KTYS
KTYS HCH KMQY
You can also used FltPlan.com to see the commonly assigned routing between two airports. This can help you plan and prep for what might be given as your clearance.

Back