IFR alternate to Private Airport.

John777

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Louis
As you can see from low enroute chart, the difference between brown and green colored airport is having/ without having approach procedures.

From the chart, I have noticed that all private airports were colored in brown, can I still file pvt airport as alternate?

If yes, then how do I know if the airport qualify as alternate? because there is no way to look up such as 'A', no A or A...?

What does 91.169 sub-para (c) say? Hint: the answer is clearly worded right there.

Oh and some private airports do have IAPs--they just aren't published.

Last edited:
If yes, then how do I know if the airport qualify as alternate? because there is no way to look up such as 'A', no A or A...?
Seriously?

A lot of things would begin to make better sense if you would only admit to being a sim-pilot.

Seriously?

A lot of things would begin to make better sense if you would only admit to being a sim-pilot.
Watch out now or you'll end up qualifying sim-pilot-only as another gender.

As you can see from low enroute chart, the difference between brown and green colored airport is having/ without having approach procedures.

From the chart, I have noticed that all private airports were colored in brown, can I still file pvt airport as alternate?

If the weather is instrument conditions, no published approach = you may not file IFR because the airport must have an instrument approach procedure.

Futher restrictions are indicated in the approach chart for the airport. An approach chart displaying a white A in a black triangle with "NA" next to it may not be used as an alternate. If the "NA" is not present, it may be filed as an alternate, but other restrictions apply.

If you have good VMC, file what ever airport you want.

Watch out now or you'll end up qualifying sim-pilot-only as another gender.
Say what?

I'm not intending to crack on him, it's just that the questions he asks are pretty straightforward topics that should be covered by the instructor (if there is one). I also don't ever see him contributing to any of the sub-forums, so it makes it difficult to know anything about him.

Last edited:
Do your homework. But here are a few clues...

1. Does the airport have a standard or SPECIAL approach procedure. Don't know? Why don't you know?
2. What will the weather be one hour either side of your ETA at the intended destination.
3. If less than what ceiling is forecast in #2 above would you need to file for an alternate?
4. Assuming you can use your private airport as an alternate, what weather must be forecast there and for when.

The answer is clearly spelled out in the FARs. 91.169

Uncle Tex

Say what?

I'm not intending to crack on him, it's just that the questions he asks are pretty straightforward topics that should be covered by the instructor (if there is one). I also don't ever see him contributing to any of the sub-forums, so it makes it difficult to know anything about him.

I'm thinking his comment is about some of the recent threads about maligning female posters on the forum? I guess?

FWIW, I think your Sim Pilot observation is probably pretty close to the truth. Which is fine. Being a fellow simmer, I've found finding information on RW flying pretty sparse on places like AvSim. There are enough simmers on POA where I think having a flight sim subforum may be useful.

I'm thinking his comment is about some of the recent threads about maligning female posters on the forum? I guess?

FWIW, I think your Sim Pilot observation is probably pretty close to the truth. Which is fine. Being a fellow simmer, I've found finding information on RW flying pretty sparse on places like AvSim. There are enough simmers on POA where I think having a flight sim subforum may be useful.
Being a Sim Pilot is totally fine, I'm not cracking on it at all. It would just be helpful to know, so we can learn about who we're dealing with. Posting a thread and then just going MIA until your next thread question isn't very helpful. Interacting in other sub-forums is what this board is all about.

As for the "watch out now or you'll end up qualifying sim-pilot-only as another gender" comment, that didn't make a bit of sense to me, so I don't have a clue what it means.

Being a Sim Pilot is totally fine, I'm not cracking on it at all. It would just be helpful to know, so we can learn about who we're dealing with. Posting a thread and then just going MIA until your next thread question isn't very helpful. Interacting in other sub-forums is what this board is all about.

As for the "watch out now or you'll end up qualifying sim-pilot-only as another gender" comment, that didn't make a bit of sense to me, so I don't have a clue what it means.

Agreed, John777 is a bit enigmatic. And yes, whatever the other comment was, it clearly was a reach...

I think it was just a reach for a "be careful labeling people, otherwise there will be a new official label you're required to use" thing.

Back