IFR & Airspace

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Anyone got a good or useful mnemonic or something to remember/understand the VFR numbers for Class B, C, D & G for the instrument written. Above, below, away from clouds and vis.

It's driving me wacko (more than usual). I just can't get the picture in my head.

Why do you need VFR cloud clearances for the instrument written? None of them apply on a clearance.

I find it easiest to remember the exceptions from the 3 miles vis, 500 below, 1000 above, 2000 lateral. The exceptions mostly have to do with IFR traffic popping out of a cloud. Class B, everyone is under positive control, so it ain't happening (clear of clouds). Class E/G above 10,000: no speed limit, so larger clearances and 5 miles vis. Class G below 1200 AGL (day): No instrument clearances, so clear of clouds and 1 mile vis.

5 F-111's fly high. Above 10,000 MSL, 5 mile viz, 1000 below, 1000 above, 1000 horizontally.

3 152's fly low. Below 10,000 MSL, 3 mile viz, 1000 above, 500 below, 2000 horizontally.

Then you just need to remember the exceptions - Clear of clouds in Bravo, and 1 mile viz for Class G daytime, clear of clouds below 1200 AGL and standard separation above 1200 AGL.

Ever try flying VFR in 1 mile viz?

Why do you need VFR cloud clearances for the instrument written? None of them apply on a clearance.

I find it easiest to remember the exceptions from the 3 miles vis, 500 below, 1000 above, 2000 lateral. The exceptions mostly have to do with IFR traffic popping out of a cloud. Class B, everyone is under positive control, so it ain't happening (clear of clouds). Class E/G above 10,000: no speed limit, so larger clearances and 5 miles vis. Class G below 1200 AGL (day): No instrument clearances, so clear of clouds and 1 mile vis.
Why? Because the questions are on the Instrument written. 91.155 & 91.157 questions as per Gleim, Dauntless, Sheppard, Jepp, King, etc.

I use the one posted above by slacktide

5 F-111's fly high. Above 10,000 MSL, 5 mile viz, 1000 below, 1000 above, 1000 horizontally.

3 152's fly low. Below 10,000 MSL, 3 mile viz, 1000 above, 500 below, 2000 horizontally.

Then you just need to remember the exceptions - Clear of clouds in Bravo, and 1 mile viz for Class G daytime, clear of clouds below 1200 AGL and standard separation above 1200 AGL.

This is the best one I've seen / used @murphey ... it's just memorization...

There's a guy who has a graphical drawing one on YouTube, but it's missing a bunch of the exceptions and is half-baked.

It IS on the written but I agree, these questions always bugged me. I'm thinking for cases where you're flying in weather attempting to pick up a clearance or if flying VFR on top. Maybe a tricky question about cloud clearance in class G while on a IFR flight plan...

It IS on the written but I agree, these questions always bugged me. I'm thinking for cases where you're flying in weather attempting to pick up a clearance or if flying VFR on top. Maybe a tricky question about cloud clearance in class G while on a IFR flight plan...
Here's the reason VFR requirements are still fair game.

One day, I walked into a flight school while the oral part of a practical test was going on. Although this was long before the FAA's emphasis on scenarios, the DPE gave the pilot one. It was very similar to one that was the subject of an article some years ago (which may be where the DPE got the idea).

You fly an ILS approach to at airport with a Class E surface area. You are flying an ILS with a 200' DH. You break out at 900 AGL. May you cancel IFR in the air?

You can come up with a variety of scenarios like that one. Mostly in the departure and arrival phases since that's where they will usually be relevant. And cancelling and picking up clearances in the air is a very common thing.

And that's aside from understanding where VFR traffic is "supposed" to be or legitimately might be when you are IFR en route.

I'm a visual learner. For what it's worth, here's my my graphical presentation of slacktide's approach, where as shown by the dashed lines, I start with the general rule of 3-152 (vis-ABC, Above Below Clear), and then branch out to the exceptions for Bravo, altitude, or daytime G:

airspace%20and%20VFR%20Minimums.jpg

Just a typo. 1 SM horizontally at or above 10,000 ft but I do like that mnemonic.

Never flown VFR with 1 mile viz FW but have gone there with RW on occasion and for SVFR entry. Not pretty, even for helos.;)

Even then. It was obvious some of those situations were intentional and not using emergency authority.

I just wanted to hear how that SVFR clearance would have gone. "Well don't take too long." Yeah, you'll be waiting til hell freezes over because he can't issue a SVFR to an aircraft at 12.5K. :D

Last edited:
Wasn't this learned during private pilot training? It really should have.

Don't think I'd be comfortable posting video of me busting regs like that.
You obviously have not watched Jerry W's videos.

Besides, while an ASRS might protect you from a suspension, it doesn't protect you from a violation or a 709 ride to check whether you are qualified to be a pilot.

You obviously have not watched Jerry W's videos.

Besides, while an ASRS might protect you from a suspension, it doesn't protect you from a violation or a 709 ride to check whether you are qualified to be a pilot.
Exactly. That's why I like ASAP.

I'm afraid to ask...
You have to be there. Just a brief sample:

In one he flies in mountainous terrain in conditions that are barely (but probably not) VFR, yelling at his daughter, who is obviously frightened, to handle the controls and, "give me the camera."

There's the one where he makes right base to a nontowered airport with a left hand pattern since, after all, it's only a recommendation. (In a later explanation, it turns out he thinks 91.126 "without an operating control tower" means a Class G airport that has a control tower, but it's not operating at the time).

Then there's the first one I ever saw. He gets a SID flying out of the LA area then tosses the chart away when ATC vectors him to join an airway since it no longer applies. The airway is part of the SID.

But wait, there's more...

You have to be there. Just a brief sample:

In one he flies in mountainous terrain in conditions that are barely (but probably not) VFR, yelling at his daughter, who is obviously frightened, to handle the controls and, "give me the camera."
I remember that one. It was filmed on a trip to Yosemite.

YouTube. Just search for Jerry W. I haven't seen one that hasn't made me cringe at some point.
Oh, man. He's the guy who flies 100 feet over Folsom Lake buzzing boats and the dam, claiming it's safe and legal. Then he claims he's 500 feet up, but you can read his altimeter. I forgot about him....

I haven't had the misfortune of running across him, though I do hang out at OAK more these days. I guess not using rwy 33 means I never see him....

YouTube. Just search for Jerry W. I haven't seen one that hasn't made me cringe at some point.

Haha! Just watched the beginning of one, where he wears a glove on one hand so his skin doesn't absorb the lead when he sumps. Too funny, maybe later I'll watch another. Nice plane though.

Oh, man. He's the guy who flies 100 feet over Folsom Lake buzzing boats and the dam, claiming it's safe and legal. Then he claims he's 500 feet up, but you can read his altimeter. I forgot about him....

I haven't had the misfortune of running across him, though I do hang out at OAK more these days. I guess not using rwy 33 means I never see him....
That's the guy.

Haha! Just watched the beginning of one, where he wears a glove on one hand so his skin doesn't absorb the lead when he sumps. Too funny, maybe later I'll watch another. Nice plane though.
What's wrong with gloves when working with toxic substances? I keep a box of nitrile gloves i the hangar. Any time I'm working with hydraulic fluid, oil, the batteris or even pumping avgas, the gloves are on. Learned this from all the guys i the shop I use.

What's wrong with gloves when working with toxic substances? I keep a box of nitrile gloves i the hangar. Any time I'm working with hydraulic fluid, oil, the batteris or even pumping avgas, the gloves are on. Learned this from all the guys i the shop I use.

Wasn't implying that! :rolleyes:

Over 40 years flying and 'sumping' I've never gotten fuel on my hands from a fuel sump check. That's what that little container is for.

Nothing wrong with PPE. But it does have to be correct PPE. Not all gloves are lead (or gasoline) impermeable.

I'm working to get the airspace classes too. This seems really helpful, but I need to understand it and though I tried, I can't figure out what the F in "5 F-111's fly high" represent.

I'm working to get the airspace classes too. This seems really helpful, but I need to understand it and though I tried, I can't figure out what the F in "5 F-111's fly high" represent.
F-111's are a convenient memory aid because they fly high (>10k) and have the 1/1/1 in the designation. You can drop the F, like the C in 152, if you like.

It's a memory aid. F means "Fighter" as in F-111. C means "Cessna" as in Cessna 152. As mentioned just ignore the F & C if it helps.

It's a memory aid. F means "Fighter" as in F-111. C means "Cessna" as in Cessna 152. As mentioned just ignore the F & C if it helps.

No, I'll definitely use it, as you say, it easier to visualize and I suspected it referred to actual airplanes, but fighter and Cessna will do the job for sure.

Thanks!

Back