IFP Request

NealRomeoGolf

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
NRG
What happens if you fill out an IFP request? My airport has an RNAV to 18 but not to 36 (no procedures at all to 36 besides circling to land off the 18). Can I, just a regular Joe Schmoe, put in a request to have 36 done? Does the city have to fund a study? How does that work? Can I see in the IFP gateway somewhere if they ever did a study for 36 and said it wouldn't work?

P.S. I've always found it ironic that our rwy 36 has a VASI and REILs and no instrument procedure. But 18 has the RNAV procedure and no lights at all. Go figure.

What happens if you fill out an IFP request? My airport has an RNAV to 18 but not to 36 (no procedures at all to 36 besides circling to land off the 18). Can I, just a regular Joe Schmoe, put in a request to have 36 done? Does the city have to fund a study? How does that work? Can I see in the IFP gateway somewhere if they ever did a study for 36 and said it wouldn't work?

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/procedures/ifp_form/

You will find that you have to give contact information for the Airport Authority. I have never seen anything in the IFP Gateway about Approaches that were requested but didn’t get to the ‘let’s do this phase’ which makes sense. You will find some in the Production Plan tab that have made it that far

Maybe Springfield Approach didn’t want a 36 Approach because of the proximity to PIA. Could be obstructions. There are some to the South that could have made it unable to have Straight In Minimums. Obstructions could have also been the reason to have a VASI. Maybe the airport authority just didn’t want one to appease the city folk to the South. Airport Manager should know. Phone number is in the A/FD.

Maybe Springfield Approach didn’t want a 36 Approach because of the proximity to PIA. Could be obstructions. There are some to the South that could have made it unable to have Straight In Minimums. Obstructions could have also been the reason to have a VASI. Maybe the airport authority just didn’t want one to appease the city folk to the South. Airport Manager should know. Phone number is in the A/FD.

This is my guess as well. There are towers to the south of 3MY that may interfere with an RNAV as well as RWY 22 RNAV into PIA crosses the approach path to 36 at 3MY

Bottom line: Only your airport manager can make the request.

Bottom line: Only your airport manager can make the request.

I don't know that this is true. The IFP Request Form has a selection for submission by a pilot/user group/etc. It does ask for the name and contact information for the airport authority that you coordinated the request with, but does allow submission by others.

I don't know that this is true. The IFP Request Form has a selection for submission by a pilot/user group/etc. It does ask for the name and contact information for the airport authority that you coordinated the request with, but does allow submission by others.
I am going by what the pros at NBAA tell me. But, I am all ears. How do I get standard takeoff minimums restored at KLRU without contacting the airport manager and gaining his concurrence?

I am going by what the pros at NBAA tell me. But, I am all ears. How do I get standard takeoff minimums restored at KLRU without contacting the airport manager and gaining his concurrence?

I didn't say you could. I responded to your statement that "only your airport manager can make the request" by pointing out that's not quite accurate, anybody can fill out an IFP Request Form on the website.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/procedures/ifp_form/

As stated, you DO need to provide the contact information of the airport authority you coordinated the request with.

Put him in as Airport Authority, give the contact info. Then they’ll contact him. He’ll say “whadda ya talkin about.” Then it’s either goin in the sheet can or the ball may get rollin. I did this once. It was about a change to an Approach that had nothing to do with the airport itself. What’s the story at LRU

Put him in as Airport Authority, give the contact info. Then they’ll contact him. He’ll say “whadda ya talkin about.” Then it’s either goin in the sheet can or the ball may get rollin. I did this once. It was about a change to an Approach that had nothing to do with the airport itself. What’s the story at LRU
KLRU used to have standard takeoff minimums. The only nav aid available was the LOM. When the LOM was decommissioned, rather than developing an RNAV ODP the FAA simply walked away by issuing:
LRU.jpg[/QUOTE]

Inquiry to the airport authority has been sent. I am guessing it is so we don't interfere with the approach to 31 to KPIA or the missed on rwy 4.

I noticed that Chicago Exec (KPWK) does not have a north instrument approach for all the biz jets. Guessing that is to not interfere with ORD. PIA is pretty sleepy (although more airline traffic these days which is nice). But we still only have a dozen-ish arrivals and departures each every day. The rest is the ANG, a UPS plane or two and biz jets. But I know my place. I just hate circle to land procedures. :)

Inquiry to the airport authority has been sent. I am guessing it is so we don't interfere with the approach to 31 to KPIA or the missed on rwy 4.

I noticed that Chicago Exec (KPWK) does not have a north instrument approach for all the biz jets. Guessing that is to not interfere with ORD. PIA is pretty sleepy (although more airline traffic these days which is nice). But we still only have a dozen-ish arrivals and departures each every day. The rest is the ANG, a UPS plane or two and biz jets. But I know my place. I just hate circle to land procedures. :)

FAA hates circling approaches to. They’ve been on a campaign for awhile now to get rid of as many as they can. Who knows, maybe someday you won’t have to worry about them anymore.

FAA hates circling approaches to. They’ve been on a campaign for awhile now to get rid of as many as they can. Who knows, maybe someday you won’t have to worry about them anymore.
Already got a reply. He said no one has ever asked him before about making an approach to 36. I believe he has been in this job for over 10 years.....so not forever, but not yesterday. His guess is conflict with approaches at KPIA but he can't say for sure.

Already got a reply. He said no one has ever asked him before about making an approach to 36. I believe he has been in this job for over 10 years.....so not forever, but not yesterday. His guess is conflict with approaches at KPIA but he can't say for sure.

Ask him if he’d like one. If he say’s yes, submit it. You’ll probably get a reply explaining why they won’t do it.

Someone gets the idea of requesting one at our airport every few years. Won't ever happen.

We're surrounded. 3 approaches (2 of them Deltas) within 5 miles, and we're all under the Dallas Bravo. There's just no space for us.

Someone gets the idea of requesting one at our airport every few years. Won't ever happen.

We're surrounded. 3 approaches (2 of them Deltas) within 5 miles, and we're all under the Dallas Bravo. There's just no space for us.
I'm guessing it will be that way here. I fully realize I can land at KPIA and get a car if I can't circle on the 18. Would just be nice to have it.

Airport director is now querying the tower manager to see if he has an airspace opinion. He feels like they have some veto power when the FAA comes asking.

Back