IFD 540 question

Georgeyk17

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Georgeyk17
I’ve read that the IFD540 can Bluetooth to an IPad. Does this mean you can have an IPad as a secondary display or just mirror the primary?

Secondary touchscreen display showing a different screen, map, set of data, etc. You can tune radios with it as well.

The IFD100 app on the Ipad acts as a second display. You can create and edit flight plans, tune frequencies and run a completely different screen than what you have the panel IFD on. You do have to swap frequencies from stand by to active on the panel mounted IFD, you cannot do that in the IFD100, you can however do that with the bluetooth keyboard if you use that.

I typically have the FMS page and map up on the IFD100, and the regular map on my IFD440. Both will show traffic and weather if you're equipped with a compatible ADS-b in source. As long as you have both IFD's on the same data cycle, they'll share flight plans seamlessly. Obviously the the panel mount IFD is the GPS source, so if you lose that you've lost both, so not the same as having a second GPS in the panel.

One thing that confuses some people is the IFD100 is not EFB, it's much more than that....and in some ways less. You can still use your EFB to do your pre-flight planning, and send a flight plan to the IFD's. Some people seem to have the misconception that you have to used the IFD100 app, you don't, Foreflight is fully compatible, FLyQ is mostly also, others are as well. Garmin pilot is not.

I never use the IFD100 App. I prefer ForeFlight, and, as has been said, it works great with the IFD.

Also, it connects via WiFi (SSID is LIO_WIFI and default password is abcdef1234), not Bluetooth.

I, too, use ForeFlight instead of the IFD100 app, but I have two IFD units, including one with a big screen. If I just had a single IFD440 in my panel, the IFD100 app would be a GREAT way (and a very affordable one) to get a second, larger screen to expand what the IFD440 displays.

Either way (IFD100 or ForeFlight), through WIFI you can connect the app with the panel-mount IFD. The app will receive ADS-B traffic and weather data that way, and exchange flight plan data with the panel.

- Martin

One thing that confuses some people is the IFD100 is not EFB, it's much more than that....and in some ways less. You can still use your EFB to do your pre-flight planning, and send a flight plan to the IFD's. Some people seem to have the misconception that you have to used the IFD100 app, you don't, Foreflight is fully compatible, FLyQ is mostly also, others are as well. Garmin pilot is not.
Good explanation. I've seen a few setups where people had two iPads with them, one running IFD100 and the other an EFB app.

- Martin

A friend who just installed a 540 runs 2 iPads, one with Foreflight, the other with the 100 app. He likes the great big 540 interface.

Hasn't quite figured out what to do with the keyboard.

Good explanation. I've seen a few setups where people had two iPads with them, one running IFD100 and the other an EFB app.

- Martin

I run two Ipads, yoke mounted Ipad mini running the IFD100 app, and a Guardian Avionics panel mount 11" Ipad pro, running Garmin Pilot. I use Garmin Pilot because it connects very well to my Garmin GTX345, and I like the log book. I have it on the moving map for traffic and weather, nice to have a big screen for the weather.

I do use FlyQ also, file my flight plans using it, but rarely actually send a flight plan to the panel, 99% of the time I fly direct so no need. Almost never use it while in flight.

Back