If you're gonna spam POA, go BIG!!

Over ten pages now. These robots are dedicated!!

EDIT: Hmmm... Didn't realize that "New Posts" was capped at 5 pages until now.

Last edited:
Lost count of the pages/posts, but this has been going on four hours now.

Just curious, is this a denial of service (I did get 404'd for a bit) or do these idiots really think we're going to read all these spams??

Oh man, they would convert all my currency to Korean...

I want to buy, but I'm all out of yuan. Or, won or WhateverTH it is they want.

They are trying to build links probably

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what is the deal with these 'bots? I get then a couple of times a month On my politics bbs and I delete the account/posts. What are they trying to accomplish?

So what is the deal with these 'bots? I get then a couple of times a month On my politics bbs and I delete the account/posts. What are they trying to accomplish?
Link building (SEO)

Hmmmm....looks like it all happened from some pacific time zone. lol :D

Nah. WAY more effective ways to do that.
Which region is this hosted in? I'll just get some small instances in the same region and have some fun with some traffic generators :)

(yeah, yeah, I could look, but I'm lazy and wouldn't actually do that)

Link building (SEO)

In general, does that work? I don't see these things at the top of my search pages so I have to question how effective the technique actually is.

My board isn't indexed by anyone, I shut off all the web crawlers so they're not being helped anyway. I also cut off all traffic from outside the US. The demographics of the board is ex-military so I'm ok with that, I could also extend it to cover countries that didn't host the bots. Still get a couple from time to time but they're not really a bother.

Which region is this hosted in? I'll just get some small instances in the same region and have some fun with some traffic generators :)

(yeah, yeah, I could look, but I'm lazy and wouldn't actually do that)
Ha. Have you ever tried that? I installed Nessus on an instance once and tried to scan my corporate network from the outside. It took about 30 seconds for them to disable that instance and it became completely unreachable. They have a pretty damn good intra/inter-network IDS in place.

Ha. Have you ever tried that? I installed Nessus on an instance once and tried to scan my corporate network from the outside. It took about 30 seconds for them to disable that instance and it became completely unreachable. They have a pretty damn good intra/inter-network IDS in place.

Yeah, you have to work with an account rep to do anything like that. Intra-AZ will last longer than inter-AZ and Internet scan or flood traffic.

The smartest way to deal with these idiots is to shut off all access from Asian IPs. Done.
This is 'murca, dangit, not Chinese Google.

And obviously they managed to break through our slightly secure sign up page. I haven't tried to sign up in a while (well, since I created my account, duh) so I am not sure what measures we use (and am too lazy to try it) but it might be a good time to update our safety measures since they are not stopping these kids.
Not that I care for an occasional post of cheap knockoff purses but swarming a board with pages of crap screws up the flow a lot more. :)

Go get them, mods! :D

Here we go again!

This has got to be a big PITA for Jason, et. al......

Last edited:
I am surprised how weak the defenses of the software are. It is smart enough to restrict me from reporting more than one spam instance per 30 seconds yet it is not smart enough to automatically disable an account once it has posted the same string of characters for more than x times (e.g. 5).

I am surprised how weak the defenses of the software are. It is smart enough to restrict me from reporting more than one spam instance per 30 seconds yet it is not smart enough to automatically disable an account once it has posted the same string of characters for more than x times (e.g. 5).
The defenses are very robust. You'd be amazed at the number of defenses that they have to get past in order to get something like this through. It blocks hundreds of attacks for every spam post that sneaks through.

FYI, in instances like last night...you only need to report one of them. We just click one button to clean it all up. It'll find everything.

The defenses are very robust. You'd be amazed at the number of defenses that they have to get past in order to get something like this through. It blocks hundreds of attacks for every spam post that sneaks through.

The software is already smart enough to block you from double posting the same message in one thread, why can't it do that across subforums ?

FYI, in instances like last night...you only need to report one of them. We just click one button to clean it all up. It'll find everything.

Thks. Good to know.

Come on Jason...wake up...make some coffee...and clean up some Chinese spam!

That's just what I need, a degree from USC issued by China's ministry of education. That's how everyone knows a USC diploma should read.

Back