If you like airplane shadows...

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
Over the 4th of July I took my brother up flying for the first time. We left KDTL and headed northwest to first fly over Bad Medicine Lake, my favorite MN scuba fix. We continued NW and circled over Itasca several times where the Mississippi starts. After we landed my brother noticed the cool airplane shadow on his gopro during the landing.

Cool - here's mine

Nice landing and I dig the shadow!!! Your shadow has that cool "Cars" kinda look. I always thought the front of my wife's Chief looked like a cartoon face.

Over the 4th of July I took my brother up flying for the first time. We left KDTL and headed northwest to first fly over Bad Medicine Lake, my favorite MN scuba fix. We continued NW and circled over Itasca several times where the Mississippi starts. After we landed my brother noticed the cool airplane shadow on his gopro during the landing.

Cool video and nice job. If I may critique a little, that approach was a bit on the flat side. Had you have lost your engine while on final, you wouldn’t have been able to make the runway. I prefer to hold a higher angle on final, rather than keep it flat and rely on engine power to get to the threshold.

Just my 2c

Cool video and nice job. If I may critique a little, that approach was a bit on the flat side. Had you have lost your engine while on final, you wouldn’t have been able to make the runway. I prefer to hold a higher angle on final, rather than keep it flat and rely on engine power to get to the threshold.

Just my 2c

really? looks like the nose is down quite a bit. look at the pfd in the panel, plenty of nose down.

anyways, here's an oldie but goodie shadow vid and you can definitely critique this approach/landing. this was one of my first solo flights.

Just my 2c

FWIW, i ran a query on ntsb DB with “power loss final”, and no accidents where this occurs.

FWIW, i ran a query on ntsb DB with “power loss final”, and no accidents where this occurs.

but, but, but......I was always taught engine outs happen conveniently turning base to final where one can glide to the runway. at least that's what CFI's tell every student.

really? looks like the nose is down quite a bit. look at the pfd in the panel, plenty of nose down.
It could be, I may not have looked close enough. Just noticed from the angle of the camera maybe. Disregard.
I can recall an accident specifically a few years back that had a total power loss on final in bonanza, so that query isn’t 100% accurate. Anyhow, even if there weren’t any, who’s to say that it couldn’t ever happen?

Just my 2c
NP on the critique.

Actually I was keeping it pretty fast and still around 95mph as I turned final. I didn't include all the audio because some of it just sounds dorky. One part I muted was where I told my brother something thing like: "I kinda like to keep it faster out here when farther out".

My own critique would be first: that my base turn was a little late and final a bit too long. Winds were right down the pipe at 13kts. I let my down wind leg get too long. Second: as you saw, a bit too flat.

Always learning!

anyways, here's an oldie but goodie shadow vid and you can definitely critique this approach/landing. this was one of my first solo flights.

Definitely cool shadow :) I Iike that you could see it as you are landing.

What's fun to watch is how the shadow rapidly cuts toward the plane when you nose it down and then keeps it distance if you level off.

One funny comment by my brother was he thought the shadow in ours looked like a xwing from Stat Wars :)

NP on the critique.

Actually I was keeping it pretty fast and still around 95mph as I turned final. I didn't include all the audio because some of it just sounds dorky. One part I muted was where I told my brother something thing like: "I kinda like to keep it faster out here when farther out".

My own critique would be first: that my base turn was a little late and final a bit too long. Winds were right down the pipe at 13kts. I let my down wind leg get too long. Second: as you saw, a bit too flat.

Always learning!
We’re all constantly learning. That was just from my viewpoint of the footage. Of course my opinion is worth as much as you paid for it, so it’s meaningless, but just fulfilling my POA duties. :)

Yeah, that entire takeoff shadow is awesome! Did you even realize during flight or afterwards looking at the video?

Maybe this is turning into the official airplane shadow thread :)

Here's another one, I was holding the camera and flying one handed so couldn't match my speed to the traffic. Keeping in the lane is a little harder than it looks.

That's because everyone that has suffered that kind of failure has followed their instructor's advice and been able to safely glide to the runway, no need for NTSB. ;)

Here's another one, I was holding the camera and flying one handed so couldn't match my speed to the traffic. Keeping in the lane is a little harder than it looks.

Ever done that and had the cars passing you?

I have a picture somewhere showing 6 kts on my Garmin.

brain_hangloose.jpg

shadow.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

An airplane casting a shadow on the ground is cool, but an airplane shadow against a cloud is even cooler because they sometimes have a rainbow halo.

One could argue that this is contrary to NOTAM FDC 6/8818.

Back