If you could replace your piston single engine for free which brand?

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot
If you could replace your piston engine with a new 2016 engine what brand and model would it be and why?

I would love to have a pair of 250hp turbo-diesels on the Aztec. Multiple reasons, including burn cheaper jet fuel and simpler with no mags/ignition wires/spark plugs to fail or maintain.

It also eliminates the substitution fuel issues with 100LL coming soon to an FBO near you. Finally, I expect the spread of jet to avgas will widen because the diesel automobile emission problems (hello VW, Fiat, Mitsubishi et al) won't be able to be fixed easily (if it could the diddling wouldn't have happened in the first place) and that will lead to a surplus of middle distillates on the world market keeping the price of jet fuel capped.

Currently not aware of any available engines that fit that purpose, but Lycoming is working on a 205 hp diesel and who knows what Continental will do with its efforts to resurrect the Centurion line.

Last edited:
I'd replace my Lyco O-360 with...

a Lyco O-360. Simple, reliable, known quantity all the way, any A&P can work on it if something does break.

Unlss Rotec comes out with a 180 or so horsepower radial.

Guess I might trade my IO-520 for a IO-550N.

A small version of a TPE331 would be cool too, but I wouldn't want a huge nose on my plane to acomindate it, nor do I fly high enough for it to really sing, beta range would be nice though.

As far as 100LL issues, I'm not super worried.

In February I replaced my 0360 with... a new 0360:)

I'd like to have a PT6 on the Archer but I am thinking many problems would result not the least of which would be cruse speed above Vne.

I expect the spread of jet to avgas will widen because the diesel automobile emission problems (hello VW, Fiat, Mitsubishi et al) won't be able to be fixed easily (if it could the diddling wouldn't have happened in the first place) and that will lead to a surplus of middle distillates on the world market keeping the price of jet fuel capped.

I'm too lazy to research it but I'd bet that cars burn a very small fraction of 1% of diesel fuel and eliminating diesel cars will have zero affect of supply/demand.

Throw light trucks in the mix and I'd bet you're still at less than 1% considering all the "big burners": Ships, barge tugs, trains, planes, 18 wheelers, etc.

On topic, I'd like an engine that has technology newer than 1940's era.

I too would stick to an IO-550 but maybe go to a TSIO-550. One of the best engines made and sound amazing!

Rotax 914 to replace my 912.

Something that burns Jet A. If it was for short runs, make it a compression-ignition variant. Cross-country machine, make it a turboprop. Regardless of choice, it should get rid of the mixture and magneto issues. FADEC will at least get you into technology less than a century old.

Is there anyone that would trade a Lycoming for a Continental or vice versa?

I would trade a Lycoming 0-235 for an 0-200 any day. I would take a continental 470 or 550 over a Lycoming 520 or 540. In the 150-180 HP range Lycoming is king.

I'm too lazy to research it but I'd bet that cars burn a very small fraction of 1% of diesel fuel and eliminating diesel cars will have zero affect of supply/demand.

Throw light trucks in the mix and I'd bet you're still at less than 1% considering all the "big burners": Ships, barge tugs, trains, planes, 18 wheelers, etc.

On topic, I'd like an engine that has technology newer than 1940's era.

In the U. S., diesel cars make up an insignificant part of the fleet. That's not true in Europe, there are countries where almost half the fleet is diesel powered. I'm not sure all that much of the European diesel would make its way here.

I would trade a Lycoming 0-235 for an 0-200 any day. I would take a continental 470 or 550 over a Lycoming 520 or 540. In the 150-180 HP range Lycoming is king.
I'll take a big bore Lycoming any day......those cylinders just last. :D

A DeltaHawk Turbo-Supercharged 200hp two-stroke compression ignition engine. I can't wait to hit the lottery and build a Sportsman 2+2 with a DeltaHawk.

I couldn't mind hanging an IO-360 in place of my O-320. Maybe hang an IO-520 up there instead ;)

The small number of diesel light passenger vehicles in the USA are all but irrelevant in this dynamic.

Something that burns Jet A. If it was for short runs, make it a compression-ignition variant. Cross-country machine, make it a turboprop. Regardless of choice, it should get rid of the mixture and magneto issues. FADEC will at least get you into technology less than a century old.
A significant percentage of the tuboprop fleet in operation is not fadec.

I'd love a parallel valve Lyco 250/260HP IO-540 to replace my 200HP lyco IO-360. I'd have to also do it on an Arrow III in order for the fuel tanks to better match, but that would be the ideal setup for me. I've come to very much enjoy the economy, ease and availability of maintenance and operation of the PA-28 airframe. The "Dakota RG" would be my forever airplane. If I could get it in experimental format that would be a wet dream lol.

Also, I would totally go Bo's or Cirrus if they sported Lycomings. Same with long body mooneys.

A significant percentage of the tuboprop fleet in operation is not fadec.
I didn't parse my comment well, but the FADEC portion was supposed to be an additional requirement, not a statement that all turbines would be FADEC. Good point either way, though.

Rolls Royce 250s. Think the Silver Eagle 340 conversion, but on a 414.

I would keep my engine and get a different airplane, then collect a few spare engines that all you guys toss out, and have enough spares to last my lifetime.

I didn't parse my comment well, but the FADEC portion was supposed to be an additional requirement, not a statement that all turbines would be FADEC. Good point either way, though.

Ahh I see. Yes. Fadec is nice but I found them to be more useful in turbojet aircraft. In the turboprop ac I still prefer three levers and a mechanical FCU.

Back