If the pumps are closed, do you wait or take off?

I wouldn't land...but if I did...I'd be on the phone with the guy with the keys to the 100LL truck...pay him what he wanted to fill me up on be on my way...

Wonder how far he got till he put it down...

Wonder what the delivery charge was? Probably better to pay the call out fee.

Something doesn't seem right. MKC is served by both Signature and Atlantic. Foreflight says that Atlantic is open 24hrs. I imagine Signature is too. What gives?

And Roosterville is only 12nm away from MKC. This dude was seriously pushing the limits to have landed without enough fuel to go another 12 nm in the first place.

Wonder how far he got till he put it down...

Not very.

It's 12nm from MKC to Roosterville. He made it about 9nm.

Liberty, where he ran out of go juice, is a VFR point on the TAC.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-09-21-13-01-41.png
    Screenshot_2014-09-21-13-01-41.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 238
Sometimes the on-call / after hours number for fuel is not answered. This was the case for me just 2 weeks ago. Yes, we did take off and fly to a nearby field. Off course we try not to cut our fuel stop too tight in the first place.

Something doesn't seem right. MKC is served by both Signature and Atlantic. Foreflight says that Atlantic is open 24hrs. I imagine Signature is too. What gives?

And Roosterville is only 12nm away from MKC. This dude was seriously pushing the limits to have landed without enough fuel to go another 12 nm in the first place.
What gives?

I bet it was $$$.

FF has the City of Kansas City having a self service pump there as well...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 231
There was another article I saw that quoted him saying he couldn't get the lights to come on, so he circled a while trying, and that's why he ran out. Either way, he's an idiot... If it was the lights thing, why would he decide to land on an unlit road instead of an unlit runway??? Regardless, be sure to practice those "black hole" landings and departures!

Last edited:
The airplane was defective - it didn't have a placard warning the pilot not to take off without fuel in the tank.

Didn't want to pay for the higher priced FBO fuel? "Crap, self serve is closed, heck, I'll save $40 if I fly to...":dunno:

There was another article I saw that quoted him saying he couldn't get the lights to come on, so he circled a while trying, and that's why he ran out. Either way, he's an idiot... If it was the lights thing, why would he decide to land on an unlit road instead of an unlit runway??? Regardless, be sure to practice those "black hole" landings and departures!

The runway is 20 feet wide, I can see using a well lit road over it. It is the place you take students that refuses to land centerline.

PS - later reports do say the pumps were open and operational. The KC Aviation chief even said something like, "MKC has fuel 24/7/365, and the self serve pumps were working."

Dude most likely just wanted cheaper fuel.

This happened to me once! I was mid-way between NC and TX when we landed at 23M, I had more than VFR reserves, but when the fuel was not working, I flew to MEI. This was the most uncomfortable 20 NM flight of my life.... My line of departure was North and my landing was straight in to the north..... I still had over VFR reserve, but the pucker factor was high!!!! That flight was over 3 years ago, and I still recall the feelings.

Yeah, understood, so just splash in enough to get to the cheaper fuel. Some people...

I'm not sure he even did that.

I am not sure his flight originated in MKC. So if he landed there knowing he had to take on fuel, saw the prices, said F-that I'm going somewhere else, then he's a really cheap dumbass.

If he landed there for some other reason, knowing he needed fuel and was already planning to go someplace else to get it, then he's a different class of dumbass.

In either case, he was on the ground at MKC with plenty of fuel options to choose from, and lots of fuel tank volume to put it in.

I first heard about it early yesterday morning when a buddy mentioned it. He said, "Hey, I heard this thing on the news and I thought of you!"

Me - "What happened?"
Him - <tells story>
Me - "Why, after this guy runs out of gas, would you think of me?"
Him - "Well, you're a pilot."

Soon we'll see a class action lawsuit against all airplane manufacturers for eleventy billion dollars.

Nah, there's nothing wrong with the whole airplane - but the engine manufacturer that knowingly built an engine that quits running when sufficient fuel is not available is in trouble.

Same with the fuel tank manufacturer for providing a fuel tank in an airplane that can run empty during flight. Those guys are done.

Heh, another clown that knowingly runs out of fuel short of destination, lands on a highway without power lines (lucky bastard), refuels and takes off to go home.
These crazies give us pilots a bad name.
The saddest part is that he's not first and he won't be last.

Afaik neither FBO at mkc sells 100ll. The city pump is your only option. Atlantic told me the city doesn't allow them to sell it.

According to Foreflight and Airnav, Signature sells 100LL.

Ah then I'm wrong. I've never went to Signature there. Just going off of what the folks at Atlantic told me, and I know they don't have it.

It's rather nice of Atlantic to let us piston flyers use their facility with no fees when we can't buy fuel from them if we wanted to.

Ah then I'm wrong. I've never went to Signature there. Just going off of what the folks at Atlantic told me, and I know they don't have it.

It's rather nice of Atlantic to let us piston flyers use their facility with no fees when we can't buy fuel from them if we wanted to.

It does make you wonder....why Signature can sell avgas, but Atlantic can't.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back