If money was no object, help me create the perfect Cessna 182

Not trolling, just curious. Why is the 182 held in such high esteem here? I’ve always thought it was slow for its power and fuel burn. Also in this market most 182’s are just plain overpriced for what you get.

Wow, just looked that up. With the install and taxes, we are looking at $250-300K for an engine. I know money is no object here, but why is this engine almost 10X the normal engines?

Because there are not many of them. If they made up 25% of the fleet and had been around for 30 years they'd cost maybe 30-50% more than gasoline. As it I is now every one is a prototype.

Last edited:
Not trolling, just curious. Why is the 182 held in such high esteem here? I’ve always thought it was slow for its power and fuel burn. Also in this market most 182’s are just plain overpriced for what you get.
If you do some research you will find the 182 is an airplane that does a lot of things well, it is familiar to anyone who trained in a 172, and it does more of everything well. Some people think it is the perfect airplane, but it is a compromise like all airplanes. It just happens to do its compromises in a way that gives it a lot of capabilities for a plane-Jane aircraft.

Here is one article, there are many examples.
https://generalaviationnews.com/2017/03/06/the-perfect-plane/#:~:text=The Cessna 182 is just,faster and can carry more.&text=There are many different models,not have a rear window.

Last edited:

It’s not just here. This is a general aviation forum, not a brand specific one, so it somewhat resembles the general GA fan.

Look at Controller or any other online airplane classified for prices and availability. The number of available 182s has dropped by my estimates about 60-70% over the last few years. They don’t last when they go up for sale.

Not only are their capabilities ok, that’s combined with their ok maintenance, and familiarity with pilots and mechanics, and their safety stats. Just a decent score on a pro-con list.

See post #23 in this thread for my reasons. For my mission, no other plane has a better combination of features.

Back