If Jerry Started an Airline...

Deelee

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Deelee
These guys must have trained at the JW flight school and earned their JFR rating.... They show off their skills in this video - crazy bank angle, dive-n-drive to get it down... crazy vertical speed... I mean.. the captain in the right seat (I guess he's a captain... he's got FOUR epaulettes... maybe he bought them from MyPilotStore??) is filming with his phone as the FO in the left seat slams it down.

Who knew the GPWS could give so many aural alerts in such a short period of time. And how side-loaded was the gear? Wonder how airworthy this poor ol' 737 was after this landing...

JW would be proud!

I commented on the YT video. Credit not given.

Captain says "be careful. don't worry". After a bone jarring touchdown, the FO says "sorry sorry".

Its a testament to the quality of Boeing engineering!

Going into Paro, one of the most dangerous airports on the planet. It was thier first time.
Even videos of the guys that go there everyday in A319’s shows they aren’t lined up with the runway until 75-100 feet off the deck.

What? I didn’t see any problem with that other than the rookie mistake of not locking his seat harness...

Soft squishy Air Force landings are lost on me!

Looks like a training flight for a potential upgrade…captain in the right seat, very close to the controls at times; instructor in the jump seat saying, “turn left now….turn left turn left turn left. Go down now…go down, go down, go down…”

WagnerAir Captain filming it all for posterity's sake. Training captain Jerry in the jumpseat saying, "not enough bank angle! Too high... go down go down..." then.... GPWS callouts - Bank angle... Bank angle... Sink rate... Sink rate... (GPWS interrupts itself with....) Pull up! Pull up! At the end after smashing it on the deck, JW in jumpseat now saying, "Well done. You earned your upgrade." Hooting and hollering ensues...

Hope the guy got his upgrade. Maybe he can now upgrade that fake Rolex to a fake Breitling...

The number of phones set to record suggests that they were anticipating this to be interesting.

737, perfectly good plane until they installed a computer that would occasionally drive one straight into the ground.

Damn...they need to check the gear on that mother. It took beating!

The number of phones set to record suggests that they were anticipating this to be interesting.

737, perfectly good plane until they installed a computer that would occasionally drive one straight into the ground.
Is that kind of like “Uncommanded Rudder Movement”?

Looks like a training flight for a potential upgrade…captain in the right seat, very close to the controls at times; instructor in the jump seat saying, “turn left now….turn left turn left turn left. Go down now…go down, go down, go down…”

Or a checkout for going into a particularly challenging airport. Kind of had the feel that it was the guy in the left seat’s first time going in there.

The best ones were after the magic rudder that went full deflection randomly was fixed and prior to the “guess what’s going on” pitch trim upgrade.

Jerry could use the "Bank Angle" automated call out.

At least the 737 doesn't call the pilots names on touchdown.

Jerry could use the "Bank Angle" automated call out.

Agree. Sink rate, too... But not as a caution or warning... more like this:

Aircraft - *banking 30 degrees*
.... no bank angle caution....
JW - *inputs more bank to 60 degrees*
Aircraft - "bank angle... bank angle..."
JW - "Checked."

Aircraft - *only descending at 1000 fpm and not full deflection off GS*
JW - *Pushes yoke forward*
Aircraft - "Sink rate... sink rate... glide slope... glide slope..."
JW - "Checked."

Several observations. And food for thought. (This was created very early in the thread, computer problems prevented posting until now, so some comments above were not part of my understanding.)

Pilot flying made many power adjustments, up then down, sometimes at the instruction of one of the two other pilots.

There seemed to be heavy thunderstorms behind them and to the right. Since the sequence begins with a turn to the right, I suspect they had just passed between them, and may have been beat up a little.

The turn in was surprisingly close to the runway, which made the overtravel on base more of an issue than further out would have been. If the range on the radar display was short, that may have dictated the route.

Both the right seat and third seat were very active in directing the flight, either by manipulating the controls on the left side of the cockpit, or verbally to the pilot flying.

I think the third pilot may have been leaning way forward, and thus he was bounced vigorously, with his head mounted camera really gyrating, but the pilots in the flying seats did not seem to be bounced much, at touchdown.

The landing may not have been as firm as it appeared due to the flopping camera mount

The lack of swerves after the runway was reached indicates that there was not too much side load at touchdown.

I would have been interested in seeing how many stripes the pilot flying had on his shoulders, as well as the third pilot.

Could the third "pilot" have been a check ride examiner?

The best ones were after the magic rudder that went full deflection randomly was fixed and prior to the “guess what’s going on” pitch trim upgrade.

They made 10,700 over the course of 55 years. 99.9% of the 737s were just fine.

Not excusing the cockpit discipline, or lack thereof, the video needs some context:

The airport is Paro Bhutan. Not for the faint of heart and not your typical airport to fly a 737 into. It’s an airport that requires special qualification which I believe is what we are seeing here. If the below link is correct, it is a cargo flight, so thankfully there would be no pax onboard.

https://mentourpilot.com/incident-paro-bhutan-737-unstabilized-approach/

Back