If it's broken may as well upgrade - A 310R upgrade story

I think the C-310 design is the best-looking light twin in GA. Yours is made even better by that new panel - very cool!
One of my favorite CFIs always says "There are 3 airplanes that really look like they belong in the air. The P51 Mustang, the Learjet and the Cessna 310"

:D

Thanks for the kind words everyone. In theory it should leave the avionics shop today for the regular maintenance shop who will then finish hooking up the engine monitor.

2 weeks down time? Now for the big question

Cuánto in yankee Doulars?

2 weeks down time? Now for the big question

Cuánto in yankee Doulars?

Two weeks was the best-case original scenario. It'll be a month. They ran into some issues with the autopilot this week when they were buttoning it up. Such is life.

I will report the final bill when I get it.... if it doesn't kill me prior to then :eek:

Two weeks was the best-case original scenario. It'll be a month. They ran into some issues with the autopilot this week when they were buttoning it up. Such is life.

I will report the final bill when I get it.... if it doesn't kill me prior to then :eek:

You aren’t allowed to die until after our flight .

I took her for her maiden voyage yesterday. There are a few bugs to work out, and I forgot to take a picture in flight. But here is is afterwards. I sure missed flying her :)

32925787_2022897494638882_7274790252772851712_o.jpg

Does the JPI make quickly determining a failed engine easier? My 830 gives a %HP reading, and I thought something like that would be helpful for each engine in a twin.

I took her for her maiden voyage yesterday. There are a few bugs to work out, and I forgot to take a picture in flight.
I thought the weather was totally KRAPpy all weekend? I need to get up to visit my mom, and saw flash flood warnings for the Hills (but we had the same warnings around metro Denver, too, and so far, I haven't needed the Ark ... yet.)

BTW - great looking panel! I wish our JPI was higher up in the panel - somewhat hard to see and easy to ignore down low.

Last edited:
Does the JPI make quickly determining a failed engine easier? My 830 gives a %HP reading, and I thought something like that would be helpful for each engine in a twin.
It will really help. But prior to total failure it will show signs that something isn't right on a particular cylinder and allow more time to troubleshoot/divert before totally losing one. And knowing it's a certain engine will help to mentally prepare for identify/verify/feather/secure and ensure you secure the correct engine :D

Nice, hope the final bill is not to bad...:yikes:
You're a 310 owner... you know it's gonna be bad :eek: I do intend to post the final costs when I get them all figured out.

I thought the weather was totally KRAPpy all weekend? I need to get up to visit my mom, and saw flash flood warnings for the Hills (but we had the same warnings around metro Denver, too, and so far, I haven't needed the Ark ... yet.)

BTW - great looking panel! I wish our JPI was higher up in the panel - somewhat hard to see and easy to ignore down low.

Thank you! The weather has been good most mornings (yesterday it was IFR until about noon though) but evening thunderstorms. There was some pretty severe flooding I think last... Thursday? Beautiful VFR day today though. I'm very happy with the placement of the JPI... it wasn't our first choice of placement but the avionics guy said "You want to put this here, not there" so we listened.

If you have to ask the price....you probably can't afford it. :wonderwoman::stirpot::ohsnap:
When I did my GPS WAAS'ing, engine monitor, and GTX345 upgrades last year I got a view quotes around here and decided I didn't want to afford it as quoted. I found that by going to OSH and getting all the equipment at airshow discounts directly and finding a shop across the state line that was willing to install it all for just labor (no equip mark-up) I was able to afford it. Several thousand dollars cheaper. :)

Hmmm. I'm not sure that would work as well as you'd think. They're not directly measuring power, they're just using MP and RPM to guess power. An engine that fails at a high airspeed will likely still have the same MP and RPM for at least a little while, and thus would show the same % power.

But, what you would likely see is other indications on the engine monitor that would give you an idea of something, quite possibly before the engine actually quits. If you eat a mag, the EGTs will jump up. Dead fuel pump would show fuel flow dropping, etc.

It has been in the air a few times now. Had to have the avionics shop fix a couple minor things but it was flyable. The first flight discovered a couple minor issues with the engine monitor and more importantly an actual issue with the right engine. Turns out for the last year the right engine probably hasn't gotten enough fuel in it because of a bad regulator. The previous owner/shop attempted to fix it by adjusting the mixture and masking the problem, which became apparent with the fancy pants engine monitor. I'm still trying to figure that thing out (should probably read the manual but what fun is that?) but I'm really happy to have it. Here's a mediocre picture getting it set up in cruise just to prove it actually flew :D

36041984_2043155689279729_315363119079620608_o.jpg

Nice, glad you got it back up in the air. It would be hard to go back to flying a plane without an engine monitor, it was the very first thing I did when I bought mine.

It has been in the air a few times now. Had to have the avionics shop fix a couple minor things but it was flyable. The first flight discovered a couple minor issues with the engine monitor and more importantly an actual issue with the right engine. Turns out for the last year the right engine probably hasn't gotten enough fuel in it because of a bad regulator. The previous owner/shop attempted to fix it by adjusting the mixture and masking the problem, which became apparent with the fancy pants engine monitor. I'm still trying to figure that thing out (should probably read the manual but what fun is that?) but I'm really happy to have it. Here's a mediocre picture getting it set up in cruise just to prove it actually flew :D

36041984_2043155689279729_315363119079620608_o.jpg

Nice setup... Think it’s time to get serious about doing mine.. How long were you down?

Nice setup... Think it’s time to get serious about doing mine.. How long were you down?

Thanks! I was down a little over a month butt a lot of it was my fault.. We added a few things at the last minute before the install so it took some time to get those things in (Stratus charger, Garmin FlightStream) and then it was discovered we really needed a new ELT. If you can get your crap together before I did you would be shorter. I can't give enough praise to both Rapid Avionics and Westjet Air Center at RAP for not only working quickly but working together to get the engine monitor placed/installed. I read horror stories about avionics shops and maintenance shops and I thank my lucky stars I have these two places right at home.

What's with you people and your 310Rs anyway. o_O

Here's some shots I took a few days ago of yet another 310R makeover underway in the hangar next to my office.

This one looks like a full Kardashian "facelift + implants" job - 12 new Millennium cylinders, new crank and camshafts (rusted), overhauled 3 blade props, a bunch of airframe work and a seriously Garminized panel. :eek:

What's that old saying; "How to make a small fortune in aviation?...start with a big one." :rolleyes:

310R-1.JPG 310R-2.JPG 310R-3.JPG 310R-4.JPG

What's with you people and your 310Rs anyway. o_O

Here's some shots I took a few days ago of yet another 310R makeover underway in the hangar next to my office.

This one looks like a full Kardashian "facelift + implants" job - 12 new Millennium cylinders, new crank and camshafts (rusted), overhauled 3 blade props, a bunch of airframe work and a seriously Garminized panel. :eek:

What's that old saying; "How to make a small fortune in aviation?...start with a big one." :rolleyes:

View attachment 64440 View attachment 64441 View attachment 64442 View attachment 64443

As one of the owners near me said "You can't take it with you." It's just a "love thang" with Twin Cessna owners. Fly one and you'll understand... :thumbsup:

Back