If it ain't fixed...

poadeleted20

Deleted
I'm doing a 10-day IR course this week, flying a 172 owned by a flying club of which the client is a member. We lost half a day last week due to the airplane going in for an oil change, and more flying time over the weekend as you can't do much useful IR training with 35-knot surface winds and reported moderate to severe turbulence, so we were a bit behind in the schedule when things calmed down Sunday afternoon.

We got a good flight in Sunday evening, and flew twice yesterday, although the second flight was cut short when, right about sundown, we noticed the high voltage light flickering. For those unfamiliar, illumination of that light means an overvoltage has been sensed and the alternator is taken off line. However, with the dimly flickering high voltage light, there was no low voltage light (signifying the alternator actually off line) and the ammeter was showing the usualy slight charge (and reacted normally when the alternator was secured and reenergized to attempt to reset the overvoltage relay). As this situation is not addressed in the Owner's Manual or emergency checklist, we elected shut down all nonessential electrical equipment and RTB'd before it got really dark, with no additional difficulties.

This morning, the club maintainers looked the plane over, said they couldn't duplicate the problem other than at idle, and it went away after a few minutes. They did further checks, announced that one cell of the battery was weak, and returned the plane to service. We took it up after lunch without further analysis

After about an hour and a half, the light started flickering again. Within five minutes, it was coming on bright, the alternator was dropping off and coming back, and then we smelled electrical smoke. A quick emergency call to approach, master switch off, and a prompt landing at the airport five miles from our position. No further indication of trouble other than residual electical smoke odor. We made an uneventful no-flap landing, pulled off the runway, shut down, egressed, stood about 50 feet upwind of the plane, phoned Approach to say we were on the ground OK, and waited until the fire crews showed up. When we opened up the engine compartment, we found:
  1. No sign of electrical fire.
  2. Three or four ounces of fresh oil on the top of the carburetor air box (source unidentified at this time)
  3. A shop rag neatly folded over one of the engine mounts (no sign of burning).
We called the club, and they came and picked us up in another club plane. Tomorrow, they'll go to where the plane is and sort it out, but this essentially ended my client's chances of finishing in 10 days. The client, a relative rookie to flying but a former CEO, said he's been somewhat concerned by maintenance practices in the club, and is planning to leave the club and buy his own plane. I told him I didn't see any reason to disagree.

A long time ago, then-Col Richard R. "Bob" Riddick, then-Deputy Commander of Operations of the 20th Tac Fighter Wing, told every crewmember in the wing, "If it ain't fixed, don't fly it." He was, and is right.

PS: I'm glad I fly a Grumman, which allows easy access to view the engine compartment during preflight. That might not have changed the electrical issues, but we'd've sure seen the oil and the rag, and probably would not have flown the plane without further investigation.

Ron Levy said:
PS: I'm glad I fly a Grumman, which allows easy access to view the engine compartment during preflight. That might not have changed the electrical issues, but we'd've sure seen the oil and the rag, and probably would not have flown the plane without further investigation.

I am glad I have the Warrior for the same reasons. When I was loking to buy I went to St. Louis to vist a 172 that looked like it may be a keeper. When I got there I started with a simple preflight. I checked the oil and noticed to was dark black, like the oil had not been changed in a while. The mechainc told me he had just annualed the plane and I asked about the oil. He said the owner told him to put the old stuff back in as it was good (first red flag). I looked in the little oil door on the 172 as best I could the mecahnic offered to take off the cowl. I said ok and went to review the log books. While I was looking over the log books the last oil change I could find record of was 250 hours ago (red flag #2).

In the log books I saw the annotation for the recent, less than two weeks ago annual, but no mention of the oil. There was an annotation to the mechanic power washing the engine. I went out and looked at the plane again to see it with it's cowling off. To my surprise there was atwo bird's nest in the engine compartment between each of the cylinders, grease all over the place. I should add the plane was hangared and had cowl plugs. (red flag #3). The mechanic mentioned how fast those darned birds build nests and asked me if I wanted to fly it. Heck I was afraid just standing next to the thing.

I got the heck out of there!

It's one reason that I own a plane - and why I ask the the plane not be recowled until I come pick it up. I've found tools, rags, and a plastic oil bottle that was trimmed to use as a drain-pan for the filter.

wsuffa said:
It's one reason that I own a plane - and why I ask the the plane not be recowled until I come pick it up. I've found tools, rags, and a plastic oil bottle that was trimmed to use as a drain-pan for the filter.

I got a really nice Craftsman wrench because the Jiffy Lube guys left it under my hood of my Jeep and I heard it rattling around after I left. Too bad for them.

But one of the things I try to do is actually assist the mechanic as he does the work and this helps a lot.

smigaldi said:
I got a really nice Craftsman wrench because the Jiffy Lube guys left it under my hood of my Jeep and I heard it rattling around after I left. Too bad for them.

I've got a pair of slip joint pliers in my tool box because someone on the Buick assembly line left them inside the driver's door. In a 1954 Buick Special. I found them in 1975 when I opened it up in an auto repair class. Cleaned them up and they've been in use ever since. :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back