If I had a desire to overpay for an aircraft...

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
.... this one could be a candidate.

Total Time:9,911
Engine Overhaul Time:91 HOURS
Prop Overhaul Time: 91 HOURS

2year old paint and interior. And all the major avionics you'd rather have in a bigger airplane versus a trainer/time builder.

I think we have yet another example of "yes honey, I did put the airplane up for sale like you asked me to."

upload_2018-6-18_15-45-37.png

Someone has a VIVID imagination.
Must be the same guy who has been trying to sell his father's Ercoupe for 25 years.
It's a 1947 and he raises the price every year "because it's an antique and a classic". He is now asking $78,000.00 dollars for a plane that hasn't flown in almost 30 years.

It’s not like being ‘upside down’ with ownership is anything new. I just accept the fact and move on.

That is a nice 152. Big tires, 125hp, Aspen, GTN650, engine monitor, etc. But, it is still a 152.

A 162 has a better avionics package and is cheaper.

Fife fife fife Oscar Hotel. That needs to be changed. And after all those panel miss the headsets still plug in right in the way of you knees. Terrible.

152 bashing aside, this airplane looks like it could be worth $95K based on its condition and equipment. Whether it will ever sell for $95K will depend on the prospective buyer getting past the 152 prejudice.

Or you could buy a cheap 172 put 30grand in the panel and a new engine and have a lot more capability. Or a buy a 182 put a decent ifr gps and still have some money to overhaul stuff or put a new paintjob on etc. No matter how you work the math almost anything is gonna get you something better than a 152 with 10k hrs.

Awfully nice airplane, and depending what was done to it might even be worth it, though probably not. A brand new LSA can be had for not much more, and the example isn’t a brand new aircraft.

That panel is super slick. Wonder if there is anything to parting out the panel?

All of that and ugly paint. Tires are too big, draggy, slow a slow airplane down even more.

Lol - why put that in a 152? You can't go anywhere far in it anyway...

That was my reaction too, when I saw the panel picture.
Reminded me of an ultralight I saw at Oshkosh in the 1980s. It had a LORAN in the panel. Which I thought representative of an awfully ambitious owner. ;)

Now there’s a nice paint job. Those seats look like they cost ton!!! That’s alotta cake for a 180 that is getting close to an overhaul.

Cupholder. Cupholders are like bacon. They make everything better.

I like how he says, "Over $160,000 invested" Since when is putting $160,000 into a 1966 Cherokee 180 "invested"??? LOL
A bad investment is still an investment.

Truth be told it is probably worth every penny. The paint hurts it more than anything.

Truth be told it is probably worth every penny. The paint hurts it more than anything.
Are the sum of it's parts and the labor worth that amount of money? Sure. But all that gadgetry in a machine that can't carry more than 450 pounds for 400 miles is a hard stretch to call a value. You can't realize the gadgets benefits. It's like putting a diamond on your toilet tank lid and saying it's worth $10,000.

Put that same equipment into a mooney or bonanza and sure, it's worth that much.

Are the sum of it's parts and the labor worth that amount of money? Sure. But all that gadgetry in a machine that can't carry more than 450 pounds for 400 miles is a hard stretch to call a value. You can't realize the gadgets benefits. It's like putting a diamond on your toilet tank lid and saying it's worth $10,000.

Put that same equipment into a mooney or bonanza and sure, it's worth that much.

People pay way more than that for an LSA that has the same limitations. If you consider it's practically a brand new airplane it's not priced badly. I'm not saying I would ever buy it but it doesn't make it a bad price. This one is equipped much better than the AOPA 152 for less money.

If it was a low hour 1977 150 with a 150 HP conversion (factory new engine of course), climb prop, long range tanks, and a Horton STOL kit, I could pony up some money for that, but not that much :D

If it were me I would have stuck with the stock Cessna paint configuration as it will appeal to a larger audience.

Aviat is doing the same thing with the 152.. I think they are asking $125K for theirs..

https://aviataircraft.com/152-reimagined/

Last edited:
A 162 has a better avionics package and is cheaper.

Full fuel, you only have a single <180 lb pilot airplane.

For what that 152 is selling for you could get two of these (the little one, not the big one.... :))

Siera-A.jpg

Here is the cockpit

29319_1095260297.jpg

Being between here and my parents' place that 152 at HLG typically shows up in my searches. And every single time I still do a double take and wonder if the guy is even serious. I'm half tempted to go tire-kick it the next time I'm out that way, and maybe find the gold bars in the back or something.

Being between here and my parents' place that 152 at HLG typically shows up in my searches. And every single time I still do a double take and wonder if the guy is even serious. I'm half tempted to go tire-kick it the next time I'm out that way, and maybe find the gold bars in the back or something.

Ask him if one of the cartels south of the border canceled their order.. :p

Back