If I am denied my medical certificate

Z

Zack the pilot

Hi there, I am posting im this forum because I cant seem to find this info anywhere else. I am just curious, if I am denied my 1st class medical certificate for being involved in an active court case. How long do I have to wait to re apply. Assuming the outcome of my case doesn't prohibit me from obtaining the certificate? I hope thats clear-ish. I would really appreciate any info related to this topic. Thanks.

You can reapply almost right away, it’s your money. But it would be a waste of time and money because unless you’ve addressed the core issue, you just get another denial.

without knowing more, you should hire an AME for a consult. It’s not an exam, it’s a chance to talk about things before you take an exam so that you have all your ducks in a row when you walk in the door.

nobody here can comment on your situation because we don’t know it.

Last edited:
...and Zach, do not go into detail here. That's for your consultation with an aviation medical professional.

Unless you're under charges for drugs or alcohol, not even sure why it should come up on the medical. Other than these, the only thing it asks about is CONVICTIONS.

Unless you're under charges for drugs or alcohol, not even sure why it should come up on the medical. Other than these, the only thing it asks about is CONVICTIONS.
My thoughts too. It sounds to me more like he needs an aviation attorney than a doctor. Unless he's in court for being on drugs or something.

So, like everyone else, we can't really advise without more info, but my advice is not to air any more info without checking with an attorney.

My thoughts too. It sounds to me more like he needs an aviation attorney than a doctor.
That could be. Unless he can find an attorney versed in both criminal and aviation law (that's actually true of many of the lawyers on the AOPA Legal Services list), the best bet is a the accused's criminal lawyer consulting with an aviation professional, whether lawyer or doctor. The goal here is to understand the medial certification process to try to minimize the impact of the criminal process.

I actually had that happen years ago. A friend who was facing a charge (while in the process of interviewing for a job, yet) called me. My friend was concerned about the aviation impact of deal the defense attorney and the DA worked out. Both the defense lawyer and the DA felt it was a great deal and, from their perspective it definitely was. So I spoke with the pilot's attorney to explain the ramifications. The defense attorney went back to the DA offering the new deal we discussed. The DA readily agreed since, after all, what the defense attorney was offering was, from the DA's perspective "better" for the state and "worse" for the defendant.

Yes, the fact that I had practiced criminal law in a former life helped because the defense lawyer and I could kick some ideas back and forth. But only marginally. An AME consultation would likely have had the same result.

Hi there, I am posting im this forum because I cant seem to find this info anywhere else. I am just curious, if I am denied my 1st class medical certificate for being involved in an active court case. How long do I have to wait to re apply. Assuming the outcome of my case doesn't prohibit me from obtaining the certificate? I hope thats clear-ish. I would really appreciate any info related to this topic. Thanks.

Good advice...don't discuss your court case here. Talk to Dr. Bruce Chien (www.aeromedicaldoc.com) or Dr. Lou Fowler (http://www.faadr.com/19356-louis-b-fowler.html) and seek their opinions and advice.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back