If flying Part 103 ultralights was your only choice, would you do it?

Given that I live on the California Delta and my back yard has a dock, I would absolutely go ultralight with floats on it. If I could figure out where to put it and how to afford it with all my other toys, I might get one now.

That would make sense to me too, although I don't live in the Delta. I fly to go places, not just to get up in the air and come back. I want some element of practicality.

That said, they do look like a lot of fun. I'd probably do it.

Last year was my first Oshkosh. The folks at the UL runway looked like they were having an order of magnitude more fun than anyone else there. It made me lust for an UL. Maybe some day.

Not yes, but hell yes. ALl things being equal I'd like to learn to hang glide this summer.

To answer your question, Yes. Ultralights are no more dangerous than motorcycles. 9 out of 10 times its the untrained pilot or the pilot doing something stupid to cause the crash.

A good friend of mine just purchased a light sport airplane that was owned by a diabetic who couldn't get a medical. The previous owner figured that as a sport pilot, he'd be good to go. Fortunately, he happened to be on a training flight with a CFI when he had his medical emergency. The CFI flew the airplane back to the airport. Had that CFI not been on board that day we'd be looking at an accident report and a fatality. My point in all of this is simple. Sometimes, it's best not to fight it. There are many reasons why a person might not qualify for a medical certificate, some are more "significant" than others. It might be time for you to make an honest assessment of your situation. There are many ways you can contribute and participate without actually sitting in a cockpit. Some of the best instructors I know are guys who've never flown an airplane. The couldn't get a medical, but the became ground instructors. (They're also a couple of the best R/C pilots I know.) You'll find your niche.

Last edited:
Even if you perceive flying ultralights to be dangerous, would you still do it?

Allow me to demonstrate you this picture:

attachment.php

Look closer at the push-pull tube 2 and the elevator clevice 1. See anything?

The gentleman who's returning from a flight in the photograph above had 10 or 12 accidents, in some of which the airplane was destroyed, without breaking a bone even once.

Get it from here: ultralights are much safer than common GA aircraft - as long as you are not doing something stupid.

Unfortunately, their record is pretty dismal, and it has a lot to do with the way our oh-so-safety-minded FAA deprived us all from ultralight flight training. That's right, you cannot legally learn to fly an ultralight, in practice anyway. In theory, someone should be able to obtain a LODA to train you in a former fat ultralight registered E-LSA, or in a ultralight-style S-LSA. But nobody like that exists, and so pilots learn to fly ultralights like Wright Brothers did. And many die before becoming indestructable with experience.

Attachments

• cimg1705.jpg
    cimg1705.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 75
That's right, you cannot legally learn to fly an ultralight, in practice anyway. In theory, someone should be able to obtain a LODA to train you in a former fat ultralight registered E-LSA, or in a ultralight-style S-LSA. But nobody like that exists, and so pilots learn to fly ultralights like Wright Brothers did. And many die before becoming indestructible with experience.

The ultralight community in St. Louis area (Gateway Area Ultralight Association, GAUA) is very active with one ultralight field (Sullivan Field, 27LL) having more than 30 ultralights in their large barn hangar. Many other ultralight fly out of other fields. Their single greatest problem is that training for prospective ultralight fliers is not available for the reason described in the quote.

Absolutely. Didn't get into aviation for travel reasons, and if it came down to it, I'll fly something that my car can outrun in rush hour traffic just to fly. Besides, some ultralights I've seen look pretty fun.

Speaking of fun ultralights, here's somewhat useful video compendum that is gradually becoming out of date, but is still relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-PP_7VBNQg
(Hummel is not included)

Note that you have to click next link in the description blurb, under "more". Dave later uploaded a one-piece video stitched of all episodes, but its quality is poor. So, click next and enjoy.

I would definitely go ultralight in that case.

Absolutely.

+1!!!

Part 103 is where I learned to fly! :yes:

Rans S-12XL with a Rotax 2 cycle 582 Blue head. Just a freaking hoot to fly. :yes:

I am in with anything that can put altitude under my seat. Part 103 is a fine way to spend a summer evening 50' agl. :yes:

Last edited:
I would love to do it! Even though I am a private pilot I'm considering trying one out, or maybe even Powered Parachute :hairraise: Mostly because of the reduced cost, increased visibility, and they seem less restrictive. Also I have an area that I could turn into an ultralight runway in a good weekend of mowing! :goofy:

I have hundreds of hours in part 103 ultralights both on land and on floats. If I had the finances , I'd have another as well as my Cherokee. Ultralights are " Low and Slow " flying and truly " Stick and Rudder " with no bells and whistles. I always thought of it as this is how the Wright Brothers felt. Cruising at 45 kts requires patience to go somewhere as well as waiting for good weather. I had alot of fun flying ultralights and would never turn down a chance to fly one .

Back