If flying Part 103 ultralights was your only choice, would you do it?

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
Consider this scenario, say if you have been denied a medical so Sport Pilot, Private Pilot, and higher certificates are unavailable, and also say there are no access or training to balloons or gliders nearby, would you fly a Part 103 ultralight (airplane) if that is your only choice? Would you want to fly a flying contraption that looks just like a flying lawn chair?

Absolutely.

+1. If I could afford it (on top of owning a Cherokee), I'd add one to the hangar in a second.
If finances required me to get rid of the Cherokee, I'd get a 103 bird in a second.

To me the interesting thing about this question is that I was unaware that I would be allowed to pilot anything if I were denied a medical.

So it's possible to fly ultralights, gliders and balloons after being denied a medical certificate?

In my case it's pretty unlikely at this point, but that's because I'm less interested in being in the air just for the sake of being in the air and more interested in doing things with my family.

If I wanted to fly just for the sake of being in the air, absolutely. It would be awesome to try to fly with a flock of birds.

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm a little surprised that you said yes to flying ultralights if that's your only choice.

I would maybe fly an ultralight if thats the only option I have, plus I have enough money for a used ultralight (but must save that money for life and stuff). The only thing that concerns me is the safety record of ultralights, which is why I asked this hypothetical scenario:

Even if you perceive flying ultralights to be dangerous, would you still do it?

To me the interesting thing about this question is that I was unaware that I would be allowed to pilot anything if I were denied a medical.

So it's possible to fly ultralights, gliders and balloons after being denied a medical certificate?

Yes it is.

I do plenty of things that are perceived to be dangerous, like ride motorcycles and fly small planes, including in icing conditions, around thunderstorms, etc. But if it's something I enjoy, I figure out how to mitigate the risks and do it in a safe manner.

Yup, danger is fun.
Picks yer options and takes yer chances. Ultralights span such a huge range of deathtraps, 2 lb paragliders to 250 lb helicopters, that to say ultralights=dangerous is to simple. Some of the stuff is certified in european countries(maybe their standards suck I dunno.) If you are flying for fun why wouldn't you?

Consider this scenario, say if you have been denied a medical so Sport Pilot, Private Pilot, and higher certificates are unavailable, and also say there are no access or training to balloons or gliders nearby, would you fly a Part 103 ultralight (airplane) if that is your only choice? Would you want to fly a flying contraption that looks just like a flying lawn chair?

You bet.

ULs are a risk. So is life. You can minimize the risk by choosing one that is basic but stout. Then, equip it with a BRS to give you a bit of insurance.

This would be my choice.

http://www.culverprops.com/index.php

Swing wing so it will go in a trailer or garage, 4 stroke engine, conventional layout.

Last edited:
Something wrong with ultralights?
My first aircraft was a homebuilt copy of a boy carrying glider, copied from "The Boys Airplane Book" published in 1919. I was 11 and I managed to fly it about 50 feet before rolling it, and myself, up into a ball. I'm sitting here looking at the book on my shelf as I type this.
I flew a 5151 about 6 years ago, and it was a hoot.
http://www.loehle.com/MustangKit.htm
I'd fly it again in a heartbeat.

Given that I live on the California Delta and my back yard has a dock, I would absolutely go ultralight with floats on it. If I could figure out where to put it and how to afford it with all my other toys, I might get one now.

Definitely. I've done balloons before and would get back into them and ultralights in a heartbeat.

I got a ride in a two-place trike and it was a blast - literally and figuratively. I would own one in a minute.

This would be my choice.

http://www.culverprops.com/index.php

Swing wing so it will go in a trailer or garage, 4 stroke engine, conventional layout.

That's a backyard flyer. I went to Culver Props near Rolla, MO and watched one of these being built. Construction is very impressive. Lots of aluminium tubing precision welded in all parts of the plane, including the ailerons. It would be my first choice. I definitely like the 4 stroke engine and three axis control.

Why would I want to trailer an ultralight? It's probably too much to ask to fly it to some of the great places that flying one would be so much fun -- monument valley, canyonlands, shiprock, around Devil's tower. With a trailer you could haul it anywhere and then make the flight.

Sure, I'd fly an ultralight if no other choice. Another good one is the Kobe.

Nahh. When I initiated my PPL training I had dreams of visiting exotic locations and being free from the TSA. The novelty of overcoming gravity probably isn't enough to make me get an ultralight over some other toy, especially since pt. 103 tends to leave your spouse out of the fun.

That's a backyard flyer.

Why would I want to trailer an ultralight?

I know, I've flown one.

Because it's a good place to store it. Because you don't have to pay tie down fees. Because it protects it from the weather. Because it is designed for it. Because.....

Wow, that looks like fun!

At one point or another I considered learning to fly a paraglider or powered paraglider. Something to keep in mind for the future.

Would you want to fly a flying contraption that looks just like a flying lawn chair?

My lawn chairs look nothing like this:

Cropped%20UC%20249.jpg

I have taken a ride in one, but I don't think I would pursue it, even if I lost my medical. They are not as safe as certificated aircraft.

My lawn chairs look nothing like this:

Cropped%20UC%20249.jpg

Doesn't look anything like tent poles and bailing wire to me (among the more ignorant things I've seen posted on POA) ... that is a beautiful little plane that you ought to be very proud to fly.

My favorite was always the Airbike. Then again, it is probably a death trap, you know, built of tent poles and bailing wire. Such ignorant statements baffle me ... maybe missing an emoticon?

Attachments

• airbike.gif
    airbike.gif
    252.2 KB · Views: 44
I'd do it in a heartbeat. I've got about 10 flights in them and it is a complete and total joy. Unfortunately I live under the KIAD Mode C veil and the $*^&% DC SFRA or I'd have one in the garage.

Wow, I just read up on the Hummel bird. 6G rating, and 80MPH cruise.

Edited for accuracy.

Last edited:
Wow, I just read up on the Hummel bird. 6G rating, and 80MPH cruise.

Edited for accuracy.

Unfortunately the Hummel Bird doesn't qualify as an ultralight (too fast, too heavy, too much fuel) but the Hummel Ultracruiser does qualify.

Unfortunately the Hummel Bird doesn't qualify as an ultralight (too fast, too heavy, too much fuel) but the Hummel Ultracruiser does qualify.

Did you see the part of my post where it says "edited for accuracy?" Maybe that was after your post. But no, it appears in the quoted part. BTW, my post didn't specifically say the Bird was UL, albeit we are in a thread about UL planes. Just a few nits for you to pick. :D

... that is a beautiful little plane that you ought to be very proud to fly.

Just to clarify, that is an image from this web site: http://www.flyhummel.com/ultra_cruiser.htm

I do not own one or ever been in one, but I've always thought the Hummel Ultracruiser was quite a feat of metal airplane design, given the tight constraints needed to stay within ultralight regs.

Did you see the part of my post where it says "edited for accuracy?" Maybe that was after your post. But no, it appears in the quoted part. BTW, my post didn't specifically say the Bird was UL, albeit we are in a thread about UL planes. Just a few nits for you to pick. :D

Sorry, missed that.

No worries, we're all on the same page now.

I would go for a self launched glider .. motor glider. I checked out the Xenos from Sonex about a month ago. Cool plane and my understanding is that it can be flown by a glider pilot without medical so long as they have a self launch endorsement. I am not claiming to be an expert on it but it sure sounded great.

Carl

I have an ATP rating and still owned this for a while...

1_332.jpg

It was some of the most fun flying ive ever done. It can be very safe if you do it correctly.

Just to clarify, that is an image from this web site: http://www.flyhummel.com/ultra_cruiser.htm

I do not own one or ever been in one, but I've always thought the Hummel Ultracruiser was quite a feat of metal airplane design, given the tight constraints needed to stay within ultralight regs.

I want one, would likely need the "Plus" and register it ELSA due to my size though

Back