If anyone needs to renew their IL aircraft registration...

Do they still do the “pilot registration” thing where they require all pilots to pay $5 or $10 per year to fly? :loco:

$20. Got mine today. Failure to do so is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine up to $1000 or a year in jail.

What is the pilot registration IL requires? Is there a link to a site?

What is the pilot registration IL requires? Is there a link to a site?
and

$20. Got mine today. Failure to do so is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine up to $1000 or a year in jail.
It was $5 when I was there. You got a book with all the airports and a sectional type chart of the state with "Not for navigation" stamped on it. I stopped paying after the first year and sent them a letter telling them and wasn't going to pay anymore and to come and get me.

15 years and they never did. :lol:

Do they still do the “pilot registration” thing where they require all pilots to pay $5 or $10 per year to fly? :loco:
It's a lifetime registration now. Illinois likes to register things. They used to send out a fairly nice booklet when you renewed, listing all the airports in the state and the services available there with phone numbers and whatnot. Kind of like paper Airnav.

Wait… what?

I’ve never heard of this
Better get on it. I hear that if you get caught the governor feeds you to his pet Rancor.

Nope nope... incorrect. The fine print on the application says operating without the Federal one lands you that. The state law notes that this is a Class A misdemeanor which is up to 364 days in jail and max fine of $2500. (620 ILCS 5 Sec. 79)

What's really interesting now is how many DPEs and Flight Schools are now have culpability in this alleged crime. Shouldn't each DPE have flagged that I did not provide sufficient airman documentation at each checkride so far?

Maryland had this many years ago, the pilots sued, and the law went away.

"MARYLAND DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
STATE AVIATION ADMINISTRATION
FAA NUMBER N3891S
MD. NO. 0474
EXPIRES DECEMBER 1978"

The one and only year of that tax. I peeled the sticker off the plane, and stuck it inside my log book.

Annual renewal, so a repetitive paperwork item to forget.

I repeat, :)
Maryland had this many years ago, 1978, the pilots sued, and the law went away.

It's a pretty ridiculous thing and while I'm not a lawyer, it seems to me IL doesn't have any right to be requiring a registration when we already have a federal one. OTOH it's $20 every other year so it's likely not worth the fight.

That's what the state is hoping for. I'd pitch in for a lawyer just to tell this state to shove it.

"It shall charge a fee, payable every 2 years, for the registration of each federal license, certificate or permit of $20 for each aircraft certificate and a one-time fee of $20, payable at registration, for each airman's certificate."

Last edited:
I'm indifferent to the $20/lifetime registration requirement, so I did it, but to me the MOST annoying part is that you can't do it online the first time for pilot or plane. You have to print a form and send it to Springfield ala 1980.

I'm indifferent to the $20/lifetime registration requirement, so I did it, but to me the MOST annoying part is that you can't do it online the first time for pilot or plane. You have to print a form and send it to Springfield ala 1980.
You mean 1890

You can't do this at the local Currency Exchange? (Or, have those gone away some time in the last 40 years?)

It's a lifetime registration now. Illinois likes to register things. They used to send out a fairly nice booklet when you renewed, listing all the airports in the state and the services available there with phone numbers and whatnot. Kind of like paper Airnav.
An end of world type would say those lists make it easier for confiscation…

Got my second reminder letter from the state yesterday to renew my aircraft registration. I'm letting them age for a bit... you know let them take on the flavor profile of my desk. Coffee stains. I wonder how long I can sit on it before the letters start getting nasty.

Got my second reminder letter from the state yesterday to renew my aircraft registration. I'm letting them age for a bit... you know let them take on the flavor profile of my desk. Coffee stains. I wonder how long I can sit on it before the letters start getting nasty.
Good on you. I'm an ashamed sheep. I only let mine soak for a couple weeks before I completed it online. I should have sent it via USPS with another kind of brown stain on it.

I actually live reasonably close to Springfield, I wonder if I can go pay it in person. Preferably with a bag of pennies.
I wouldn't trust that state employees will know how to count; math is not a strong suit in the People's Republic of IL govt.

Nope, and everyday I don't have to is a very good day.

Back