Identify this nylon brake line and fittings please

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
I took the right main wheel off my Lancair 235/320 to change the brake pads. In the process of doing so I broke off part of the bolt going into the caliper. The rotor has been a little warped on that side for some time also. Because of these 2 issues, I have decided it is time to replace the wheel assembly. If I am going to replace the caliper, I figured now is the time to replace the nylon brake line from the caliper to around where it enters the cabin.

I know, its dirty! Remember, my plane flies often, and often it flies in less than ideal conditions...
I looked through the build manuals but could not find any information on the nylon brake line. In an old Lancair parts book I found reference to "poly flow" nylon tubing in 3/16 diameter. Is that what this nylon tubing likely is? I know the pic doesn't show much tubing. It is foil over larger protective tube over brake line nylon tube.

Can anyone identify the fitting between the nylon brake line and the caliper? Or the T fitting at the rudder pedals? Is it a Matco fitting? Size?
LANCAIR BRAKE LINE T.jpg LANCAIR MATCO AXLE.jpg LANCAIR WHEEL BRAKE LINE.jpg

should be nyloflo. the stuff from the hardware store will last about 2 applications of the brake before it blows out. get real nyloflo from spruce. or better yet call ts flightlines and get real lines.

It's best to go to NAPA and get airbrake line and the fittings that go with it.

Looks like nyloflow has id markings on it. I looked but couldn't find any markings on my brake lines. perhaps there are some I will locate next time I am at the plane. don't want to install the wrong fitting and have a failure. Those fittings look like matco 1/4 brake line fittings except for the color of the sleeves - mine are white and the current matco sleeves are black.

I would install all new line from calipers to brake pedals but can't access the brake pedals without major surgery to remove the header fuel tank. so the plan is to just replace a short section with braided line from calipers to fuselage.

It's best to go to NAPA and get airbrake line and the fittings that go with it.
That's the stuff. 1/4" nylon air brake line has a burst pressure of 1200 psi, IIRC, way beyond what the airplane needs. If you use black it will resist the UV better, too. I had black air brake tubing on my Jodel for 22 years and it was still in good condition, even the stuff out in the sun.

It comes in several different colors.

Back