Ideas for an Aviation Weather research paper?

Collin Kaufman

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ckflyer13
Hey guys,
I'm going through the Professional Flight program and Auburn University right now and part of the curriculum required that I take an aviation weather class. Right now we are starting to choose our topics for our term research papers. It can be on anything that related to aviation weather. I was wondering if there have been any really interesting/scary/cool weather phenomenons you guys have run into and experienced while flying that could make for a good research paper.

I only have a little over 60 hours in a C172 so I haven't seen much so far.
Thanks so much for the help!

I flew into a thunderstorm one time and the wings were flapping like a seagul. The captain cried. I was to scared to cry. It was kinda exciting and scary all at the same time. So I guess you could write a report on thunderstorms, being stupid or scared. Perhaps all three

Good luck.

i tried to outrun a cold front once in my might 180 horse archer... i lost

Wind shear relates to many weather phenomena. You might be able to tease out some good physics pertaining to aircraft performance/aerodynamics.

I don't think there has been a systematic study of whether turbulence is more or less severe when you are inverted.

How do you determine if it is better to go above or below a weather system?

Example summer afternoon thunderstorms can climb to 40k. But winter thundersnow can go to the ground but top out in the low teens.
This is anecdotal based on my observations no idea if statistics back it up. :)

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Man, I wish my term papers were aviation related...

Ain’t that right @ktup-flyer ?

Hurricane hunter aircraft. Include topics such as types of aircraft used and why, penetration speeds, instrumentation, etc.

Back