ID Plate from AV/Grafix Warning

Bought the only ID plate I could find for certified aircraft from Aircraft Spruce.
Did you replace the original factory data plate with this one, or is this a supplemental plate?

It's nice they wrote that it complies with 45.13, but the operative rule is 45.11. 45.13 just says what data has to be on the plate. 45.11 says the "MANUFACTURER must mark."

Aircraft spruce gets it wrong in the Q&A.

I think the regs don't allow disappearing ID plates.

The original data plate was removed by an IA, certified as such by the FAA. He told me the unmolested A Pillar id plate covered the regulation. I brought the plane home and looked at the regs myself and it does say the plate is required, on the empennage, etc., so I did the best I could to keep the plane legal. Now, the paint is peeling off the new plate. I reported it to spruce a couple of weeks ago and have asked for but am not getting any feedback indicating that they are looking into it.

So I posted here in hopes that I could save another pilot the hassle of getting it engraved and installed, only to end up with the paint peeling off. This thread has the potential to go for weeks. Some will want to give friendly advice. Others will want to pile on, and others will want to show us all how intelligent they are.

We are at a point where we shiver in our boots over the innocuous, and I'm just not interested in playing. I appreciate everyone's input, but this is a dead issue.

it does say the plate is required,
FYI: On pre-1988 aircraft the only info required on the exterior ID plate was model and serial number. Had a local trophy shop make up small metal tags/plates anodized close to aircraft colors and laser etched. If someone made an issue called them owner-produced part. This was a DEA requirement and not FAA.

Last edited:
FYI: On pre-1988 aircraft the only info required on the exterior ID plate was model and serial number. Had a local trophy shop make up small metal tags/plates anodized close to aircraft colors and laser etched. If someone made an issue called them owner-produced part. This was a DEA requirement and not FAA.
Nonsense. The requirement for a permanent identification plate dates back into CAR days decades before the Nixon formed the DEA. The data plate used to be allowed to be inside the aircraft but later moved to outside. That change still predated the FAA and the DEA.

Nonsense. The requirement for a permanent identification plate dates back into CAR days decades before the Nixon formed the DEA. The data plate used to be allowed to be inside the aircraft but later moved to outside. That change still predated the FAA and the DEA.
Ha. O Ye of little faith.:rolleyes:

Prior to March 1988 aircraft usually had the FAA/CAA required ID plate/data plate installed in an interior location. Around 1983 I think the DEA got Congress to pass a law requiring aircraft to display certain aircraft data (model type/serial number) on the exterior that could be read by a person on the ground.

This mandated most non-Part 121 aircraft to add a SECOND ID plate/data plate to the exterior at specific locations with that specific info. In March 1988, the FAA revised Part 45 requiring aircraft producers to move the FAA ID plate/data plate to the DEA required locations on new aircraft thus deleting the 2nd plate requirement on new aircraft. However, there still is a requirement to have the 2nd ID plate per 45.11(e) for certain aircraft which some people obviously overlook.;)

Last edited:
Back