Icon A5

jmp470

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
John
That is one nice looking plane. By the time they are done with it, it will cost $300K like a new C172.

I like:
Folding wings
AOA
912 (I hope they go with the is, fuel injected model)
Auto Fuel
water/land capable
opening windows

don't like:
price
probably low useful load, but don't know yet now that they got the 250lbs increase.

That is one nice looking plane. By the time they are done with it, it will cost $300K like a new C172.

I like:
Folding wings
AOA
912 (I hope they go with the is, fuel injected model)
Auto Fuel
water/land capable
opening windows

don't like:
price
probably low useful load, but don't know yet now that they got the 250lbs increase.

They did some wing area and structural changes to upgrade and are only using about 80# of the total allowed weight increase as I recall. Slick little Amphib that isn't really that versatile, still would be fun to fly a little but cramped and too costly for its function. Hope they do sell some.

Last edited:
First saw it at OSH in 2007. About as viable now as it was then. Marketing hype and no product.

I agree that despite having very little practical use it does look fantastic and would be a lot of fun. My question is: why do they get the 250 lbs? I believe the Terrafugia got a similar privileged exception while maintaining that a sport pilot still cannot legally fly a standard Cessna 150.

This doesn't make sense to me and neither the Icon or the Terrafugia can be considered aircraft that would be for the masses rather than simply a rich boy's toy.

I agree that despite having very little practical use it does look fantastic and would be a lot of fun. My question is: why do they get the 250 lbs? I believe the Terrafugia got a similar privileged exception while maintaining that a sport pilot still cannot legally fly a standard Cessna 150.

This doesn't make sense to me and neither the Icon or the Terrafugia can be considered aircraft that would be for the masses rather than simply a rich boy's toy.

They demonstrated to the FAA that the additional weight was attributed to the anti-spin characteristics of the airplane, therefore making it safer.

The increased gross weight for LSA has been approved?

Oh, it'll never be completed. Constant moving target.

<edit: I just answered my own question by going to the website and looking. Now, I agree with the question. If Icon gets an extra 250#, why not everyone in the LSA?>

Last edited:
They demonstrated to the FAA that the additional weight was attributed to the anti-spin characteristics of the airplane, therefore making it safer.

What I understand, only 80 lbs was for the anti-spin design items. I assume the rest is for additional cup holders, leather seats, chrome wheels and USB ports.

Cheers

Last I heard, they were overweight with both repositionable gear, and swing wing. You could have sea only with swing wing, or true amphib with no swing wing. Now with the extra weight they get both.

would be nice if others could get the weight increase. I forgot, but do the BRS chute systems count against the overall wait or is there some way that safety features can get an exception?

My biggest gripe against the Icon A5... they've sucked almost EIGHT years of news and PR away from legitimate companies, that could have used it. I suspect the A5 has garnered more press and PR than all other new aircraft combined.

My biggest gripe against the Icon A5... they've sucked almost EIGHT years of news and PR away from legitimate companies, that could have used it. I suspect the A5 has garnered more press and PR than all other new aircraft combined.

Is that their fault, or the faults of the company that didn't market their product?

What I understand, only 80 lbs was for the anti-spin design items. I assume the rest is for additional cup holders, leather seats, chrome wheels and USB ports.

Cheers

Amphibs get the increase, IIRC Terrafugly successfuly lobbied the FAA into granting them the same increase since they had a "dual function" also.

How do you conclude that other LSA companies are more legit than A5?

Maybe something like, they actually make and sell a plane you can but and fly today? :dunno:

Sure, delivery is always a plus but, it appears their ongoing developmental strides have been more important to them than just putting something out. This Gwt hike they got is quite important to the potential marketing potential of the aircraft, especially as an Amphib.

It's a wonder with the FAA involved that they got the increase at all. I remember some full-on flying videos of an earlier model maybe over 3 years ago. The Terrafugia/Transition also appears to have taken a similar path and time frame.

They've burned through $60 million, and don't have a sellable product... Just how many do you think they'll need to sell to make a profit? And the whole, "it's a flying jet ski" thing... How far do you think that will take them?
Don't get me wrong... 'Cool looking plane... But I got numb to the hype about 4 years ago

Last edited:
A friend thanked me again today for convincing him to forego signing a contract and putting up a deposit when we were here in OSH the year they had the big booth and introduction.

Now maybe someone with a 150 will go after the FAA to allow them to fly it as a Light Sport airplane since they're allowing Icon and Terrefugia and exemption.

How do you conclude that other LSA companies are more legit than A5?
Other airplanes already fly in hands of customers, and by that definition they are more legitimate than A5. Still, importers of SeaMax have a lot to answer for. The airplane flies all around the world, performs great, needs no weight exemptions, but scored 12 registrations in the U.S.. You cannot blame their failure to sell on Icon.

They've burned through $60 million,
Seriously, only 60 million? Pocket change. Vern Raburn burned through 1 billion and a bit (although granted he shipped a few airplanes).

The Icon is a cool little plane, but it only holds attraction to me if it's uber cheap.

Other airplanes already fly in hands of customers, and by that definition they are more legitimate than A5. Still, importers of SeaMax have a lot to answer for. The airplane flies all around the world, performs great, needs no weight exemptions, but scored 12 registrations in the U.S.. You cannot blame their failure to sell on Icon.

You bet, this is the first I have heard of the seamax

If you don't have money riding on them why care? If it never works, meh, if it works another cool plane flying around.

I thought I read it had a price tag of $189k. of course, you need to have one to SELL in order for it to have a true price tag, so who knows.

If it can be "safe" for a sport pilot at 1680 lbs why can't a 150, or many other existing airplanes, be "safe" at 1650? It certainly wouldn't have anything to do with a crapload of perfectly good sport legal aircraft suddenly being available for under $20,000 now would it? Because if it does well, that stinks.

If it can be "safe" for a sport pilot at 1680 lbs why can't a 150, or many other existing airplanes, be "safe" at 1650?
Go make a 150 spin-resistant, apply for exemption, then we'll see how much that's going to cost. Checked the price of a new 162 recently? Which is not spin-resistant BTW.

I think you just made the point that "spin resistance" hasn't got anything to do with it. Heck, an Ercoupe is spin resistant but at 1450 lbs GW a sport pilot can't touch one.

OMG pilots realizing regulations are arbitrary and don't make us safe...

It's on like Donkey Kong. There must now be a rush to secure exemptions from every manufacturer that has a safety feature like a BRS such as Flight Design. If they don't they are voluntarily putting their companies at a competitive disadvantage. And the FAA will be obliged to give careful consideration to them all or be accused of playing favorites (which I believe they are).

By the way, here's an example of the stuff with that Icon really competes:

Not many of us have a first-hand exposure to all the mad, mad stuff rich people do in the water (well, I'm sure Henning knows about it). A garden variety Skyhawk pilot has absolutely no idea of the mindset of the buyer of these craft and supposedly the A5.

By the way, here's an example of the stuff with that Icon really competes:

Not many of us have a first-hand exposure to all the mad, mad stuff rich people do in the water (well, I'm sure Henning knows about it). A garden variety Skyhawk pilot has absolutely no idea of the mindset of the buyer of these craft and supposedly the A5.

I think that would get old in a hurry....

Dudes build a new amphibian seaplane and you guys *****. Ain't your money, what do you care? Me, I hope the best for them. I like the thought of new and different airplanes to fly.

What I'm curious about this aircraft is, if it's 189K listed did not include the parachute system, and the FAA has mandated the parachute be included for sales in the U.S. - then what is the true cost?

I think this airplane could be useful for short flights (300 miles or so) in an area with lots of lakes. Would think it would be fun to fish out of it.

More like 120 million they burned through just to bring an S-LSA to market!!! What a bunch of morons. Just throw money at it till you figure it out.

What I'm curious about this aircraft is, if it's 189K listed did not include the parachute system, and the FAA has mandated the parachute be included for sales in the U.S. - then what is the true cost?

I think this airplane could be useful for short flights (300 miles or so) in an area with lots of lakes. Would think it would be fun to fish out of it.
Price is not really relevant until they can deliver. If you have 189K buy and fly a completed searey until the Icon is in production. You'll have plenty left over for a deposit.

Back