Ice storm

Hey,Diana--

Here in Bolivar the only thing open was Smith's this am. Had bkfst there. Even M17 is totally closed down, and all the brand C's are stuck with their noses in the air.

We don't have a generator either, and I wish we did; don't want to get left w/o dsl either; don't know if we'd survive or not:rolleyes: .

SBU's two basketball games were postponed. Not too bad in my S-10 Extreme; studded snow tires help lots.

Meanwhile, stay warm, and don't go flying on the ice!;)

Later,
Jim

Or 'candle-fish'.
I'm trying to think of a way to bubble some air through a piece of tubing for them other than just blowing air manually, which could be tedious at best... maybe they will start to go somewhat dormant, too.

Got a little motor, fan, & battery?
Candle-fish. :hairraise:

I called the pet store and talked with them about the potential problem. They said the heater is the most important thing, then the air pump (we talked about watts and stuff). Told the guy what size battery generator I have and he said if I get desperate after the generator poops out, I can add air to the water by adding hydrogen peroxide to the tank.

It's 33 here and just a little bit of melt is happening, but it looks thus:

...with more to come tonight.
Wow. We're just a few dozen miles north of you, and have had NOTHING! Still wouldn't have gone flying, it's overcast at 1500 with temps around -3 at the surface. Not what you want for a long XC.

Or 'candle-fish'.
I'm trying to think of a way to bubble some air through a piece of tubing for them other than just blowing air manually, which could be tedious at best... maybe they will start to go somewhat dormant, too.

Got a little motor, fan, & battery?

Diana, get a cheap (<$50) 150-250W (as required by your heater) AC inverter and you can power the air pump and heater off of your car or tractor.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200025324_200025324

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of Tulsa. We are lucky in that it changed to sleet. So, that is not snow. It's hard as a rock outside. It should be quiet tonight but the next round comes tomorrow. TV said that it sayed freezing rain in Eastern OK. Those folks are out of power. Pray for the elderly over there.

Attachments

• IMG_0788.jpg
    IMG_0788.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0789.jpg
    IMG_0789.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0790.jpg
    IMG_0790.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0791.jpg
    IMG_0791.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 14
Those Tulsa pictures are exactly what Kansas City looked like yesterday and today. More in the forecast for tomorrow, but mostly snow. The temps here were 20F yesterday morning, just before the storm, and have been in the mid-teens ever since. I don't think the temps are supposed to reach 20F again until Tuesday. No power outages or trees down, just a lot of accidents. I checked the temps aloft yesterday, we had surface temps at <20F, but at 3000 and 6000 I think they were forecasted at close to 40F. That, mixed with mist and drizzle made our mess.

Candle-fish. :hairraise:

I called the pet store and talked with them about the potential problem. They said the heater is the most important thing, then the air pump (we talked about watts and stuff). Told the guy what size battery generator I have and he said if I get desperate after the generator poops out, I can add air to the water by adding hydrogen peroxide to the tank.
I never knew that about the hydrogen peroxide! Of course, NOW it makes perfect sense!

Candle fish? Hell, those are SMELT!! (especially when they're burning! heheheheheh)

7200W Generator at Sams Club for less than $1,000:

For that kind of use, you're not looking for quiet or pretty. You don't really even need incredibly long life (like years of running on jobsites). The Hondas are great (I prefer (2) 2000W with the series connector kit for 4KW for my 5th wheel) and very quiet in comparison but cost a lot more.

Yep. That's what I decided.

Coleman 10HP 6250/5000 watt $599
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...ID=cccgaddjljldllgcgelceffdfgidgki.0&MID=9876
(a refurb is $443 but with no wheels or handle.)
http://www.buypowermate.com/product.asp?product=RPM0525202.03&section=GEN

10000/8000 watt $1199. This might be a more appropriate size.
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80HDUS...Yes&N=2984+3999&CNTKEY=misc/searchResults.jsp
There's a similar-sized and cost Briggs and Stratton/ Generac.

Honda 3000is (admittedly with inverter for smooth power and the generator coupling capability) $1999
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-HONDA-GENER...-PORTABLE_W0QQitemZ230075979853QQcmdZViewItem

I'd like the little 1000 watt version of that as a portable/flyable power for the engine heater but that can wait. I thought it would be cool to get that with the 2000 or 3000 but it's not worth it.

I'm thinking it would be worthwhile to get the power transfer switch put it in when I get a new service entrance because it would be a much larger pain to scramble to run extension cords. Just dragging the thing out will be enough to have to do.

Last edited:
Update from Missouri

Round three is coming today...more ice.

A MAJOR ICE STORM WILL IMPACT THE REGION THIS AFTERNOON BLANKETING THE AREA WITH ADDITIONAL SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCUMULATIONS.

A SURGE OF ARCTIC AIR WILL CAUSE TEMPERATURES TO FALL INTO THE SINGLE DIGITS...AND POSSIBLY BELOW ZERO MONDAY AND TUESDAY NIGHTS. THESE BITTERLY COLD TEMPERATURES WILL ONLY AGGRAVATE THIS DISASTER AND CAUSE HUMAN SUFFERING AMONGST RESIDENTS WITHOUT HEAT AND POWER.

Wow, human suffering. :( The NWS isn't mincing words. These are the kinds of conditions that will bring out the best in people as they work to help each other.

The lights flickered last night several times. I walked out and looked at the power line coming in to the house just now. It looks as if some of the ice-laden tree branches are now resting on the line. The next round of ice may have an impact. Probably time to go out to the greenhouse and bring all my plants and flowers into the kitchen.

It's going to be a 'three-dog-night' for the next several nights...just wish I had a dog. Tom won't be able to come home from Milwaukee for a few days now.

I hope Jim and Dean are OK, east of here...they got it worse than we did.

BTW, what does this mean in a NOTAM? "BOW MU" I couldn't find it anywhere.

It sure was good to hear from you this morning. I checked here before I emailed you. Hold on tight for another day!!!

Linda

We ended up with 3/4" of ice and lost power last night at 9PM, it was back on by 2:30AM, I will have to give Crawford County Electric a thumbs up for a job well done. Their aggressive tree trimming program has paid off this winter.

I drove for a couple hours from central to southeastern Iowa today in light to moderate freezing drizzle. Pics of car below. For a while my defroster couldn't keep up with the ice accumulating on the windshield, but by the time I got to Ottumwa it was around 30 out and big chunks were melting and flying off. We're supposed to get 2-4 inches of snow here on top of the ice. I'll be up along with Tony flying the DNR around if we get enough of the white stuff.

Attachments

• Car&ice 004.jpg
    Car&ice 004.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 11
  • Car&ice 003.jpg
    Car&ice 003.jpg
    641.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Car&ice 002.jpg
    Car&ice 002.jpg
    541.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Car&ice 001.jpg
    Car&ice 001.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 13
ben, that car certified for driving in known icing conditions? :rofl:

Ill have to give you a call, maybe work out some air to air something if we are DNR'ing in the same neighborhood.

Re: Update from Missouri

Round three is coming today...more ice......

I hope Jim and Dean are OK, east of here...they got it worse than we did.

BTW, what does this mean in a NOTAM? "BOW MU" I couldn't find it anywhere.
BOW=Bomonk Decellerometer. MU is the slipperiness coefficient used to measure runway traction. It appearing in the NOTAMS is not a good thing.

Here's our transfer switch; the external power inlet box is on the outside of the house- I just went and chipped all the ice off of it. There's a 3 phase double male extension from our Coleman 6kw to that outlet- e.g, monoxide and noise on the outside.

6 kw will run the core- lights, furnace blower, fridge, but not too much more. The entire house is fluoresecent and will run about 500 watts with all the lights on (except for the living room floods).

I spent part of the morning trying to save some of the branches on the trees....

Attachments

• NoShoesontheDanceFloor.jpg
    NoShoesontheDanceFloor.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

BOW=Bomonk Decellerometer. MU is the slipperiness coefficient used to measure runway traction. It appearing in the NOTAMS is not a good thing.

Here's our transfer switch; the external power inlet box is on the outside of the house- I just went and chipped all the ice off of it. There's a 3 phase double male extension from our Coleman 6kw to that outlet- e.g, monoxide and noise on the outside.

6 kw will run the core- lights, furnace blower, fridge, but not too much more. The entire house is fluoresecent and will run about 500 watts with all the lights on (except for the living room floods).

I spent part of the morning trying to save some of the branches on the trees....

It's not three phase. It's single phase 240volts. Having done my research. It's the same as we use for server rack cabinets.

The nice thing about that setup is you can always get the next size bigger generator in the future and keep the electrical system.

I will make sure I get a 6750/8000 watter at minimum, especially since I might have two fridges and two freezers. It occurs to me know that I have no reason to plug those in until I need the space.

How do you handle refueling with gasoline? Get a few 5 gallon jerry cans? I suppose you're still at the mercy of the gas station having power.

This transfer switch looks right (and cheap). I wonder if I would be allowed to install it myself.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200321033_200321033

Just to keep my end of the converstion up...I just got back from 9 holes of golf in my shirtsleeves.

Here are a few pictures I took earlier today.

Attachments

• ice2.JPG
    ice2.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 22
  • ice3.JPG
    ice3.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 25
  • ice1.JPG
    ice1.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 19
Well its 6:40 and the power is out again, maybe I spoke to soon.
I spent an hour out there this afternoon trying to clear ice off stuff. Chipped away at ice and slush in front of the hangar door. The lights are flickering again. The trees are really bent over and heavy with ice. After the first big crash outside awhile ago, I got the flashlight and looked out. No need to look anymore...lots of sticks and tree limbs to clean up later. All in all, I feel very fortunate to still have power. :yes:

Hang in there, and I am glad to hear you guys are doing okay despite the ice.

No, the REAL question is, is it spin certified?!? :eek:

ben, that car certified for driving in known icing conditions? :rofl:

Ill have to give you a call, maybe work out some air to air something if we are DNR'ing in the same neighborhood.
Hmm, my de-ice/anti-ice equipment includes front and rear defrosters, and my grille could pass for a car version of a hot wing. I think that, and 4wd, should get me KI certified. The Jeep's been spun before, but now I really want to get a placard to put in there with "Intentional spins prohibited" :rolleyes:

drove back from Rockford tonight, snowing pretty good from west of Dubuque on in to Ames. about 4 inches on the ground in Ames. Only saw one wreck and two cars in the ditch. Slow and steady was name of game, still managed to average over 55 mph for the trip though.

stay safe out there Diana and others!

The lights flickered last night several times. I walked out and looked at the power line coming in to the house just now. It looks as if some of the ice-laden tree branches are now resting on the line. .

Take the shotgun, preferably with some #4 and shoot into the branches above the line to fracture the ice.

Dear Lance,
We in MO hate you.:D :D :D :D

Dear Brook,
We in MO hate you.:D :D :D :D (Just kiddin' guys!)

Actually, it's not too bad in Bolivar. No power for two days (still), 35% left on the laptop, dial-up works (no power to wireless router), and armpits starting to, well...

Tree limbs/wires everywhere. Neighbor's two hots are stretched, his neutral is broken. Told him to turn off everything, unplug everything just in case power came back on. Didn't.

Oh, well, look for a laundromat, then take a Navy shower, then pack up for the end-of-weekend commute to Fulton. (Sigh.)

Stay warm, y'all!!
Jim

We really lucked out where I live; west part of our area got it just a bit worse. We stayed just above freezing. Lots of ice stuck to trees and signs, but the ground in general stayed clear. Some icing on overpasses and isolated spots.

Glad I didn't leave on that trip up north. Never would have gotten back in yesterday.

Best wishes to all of you that really got the worse of this. Friend in Oklahoma really got it bad. Let us know how you're doing.

Best,

Dave

Just to keep my end of the converstion up...I just got back from 9 holes of golf in my shirtsleeves.
"And why you have golf holes in your shirtsleeves, I'll never know!" (with apologies to Groucho Marx)

Ice pics

Take the shotgun, preferably with some #4 and shoot into the branches above the line to fracture the ice.
Haven't shot a gun in awhile...maybe it's time to find out where they are. The last one I shot was the handgun I practiced with, that Tom's son gave me after something happened at the farm one night when Tom was gone. Sometimes odd things happen on rural roads at night.

Went out and pulled a tree limb off the end of the driveway. Took a few pictures. Need to figure out how to trim the branches that are now hanging down touching the ground blocking the driveway. Everything is solid ice (can't shovel the stuff now), and a really pretty snow is coming down.

Haven't seen a human (other than the sighting of an occasional farm truck hauling hay down our dirt road) since last Thursday morning. At least the power is still on. :)

Tom left Milwaukee early this morning. We decided that the west route through Iowa to Des Moines would be harder to drive because of the blowing snow, so he headed south through Illinois. If anybody has any current interstate road reports from Rockford to St. Louis to Springfield to Joplin we would appreciate it.

Jim, it sounds like you've had a tough weekend. I hope you have a safe trip to Fulton.

Attachments

• Ice storm Jan 2007 001.jpg
    Ice storm Jan 2007 001.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Ice storm Jan 2007 003.jpg
    Ice storm Jan 2007 003.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Ice storm Jan 2007 004.jpg
    Ice storm Jan 2007 004.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Driveway limb.jpg
    Driveway limb.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 21
The headline in the local paper says 111,000 in OK are without power. We have about three inches of sleet on the roads. I went ahead and went to work today, and it's like driving in sand, The city of OKC has done a good job of clearing the main roads, but navigating the side roads:no: The city of Edmond (where I live) went underground on electric service about two years ago, so no power problems.

How about Fort Worth/N. Fort Worth? Cold here, wet all day, but not icey--yet. It is below freezing, so it's gonna be a sheet of ice in the morning.

Where are you? Cleburne?

In between Cleburne and Granbury.

-JD

Diana,

It was tough! I missed the Patriots/Chargers game!!;)

Actually, we're doing well; getting hot meals compliments of China Pearl and Smith's:D .

Suffered through Yahtzee, then Monopoly (I won!!!). Mary refused to play "_____ Yahtzee"; can't imagine why:) . I know: too much information. (Snicker.)

Lovely photos. Too bad all the busted limbs go with them.

Stay warm and dry!

Jim

Re: Ice pics

Tom left Milwaukee early this morning. We decided that the west route through Iowa to Des Moines would be harder to drive because of the blowing snow, so he headed south through Illinois. If anybody has any current interstate road reports from Rockford to St. Louis to Springfield to Joplin we would appreciate it.

Diana,

I don't know how far Tom made it, but just in case it's of any use, here are the appropriate phone numbers for road conditions:

IL (800) 452-4368
MO (800) 222-6400

In the event of a reroute:

IA (800) 288-1047

These are generally updated by the State Patrol in each state, usually hourly when things are as crummy as they are now.

Well, got back to central MO this evening; finished laundry at son's house, then treated David, Joy, and granddaughter Kelsey to dinner, for letting me use their washer/drier.

By and large, highways were clear to slight amount of frozen slush/slop; Jeff City and Maries County have quite a few w/o power; here in Fulton it's fine; just a few slick streets.

Mary reports she has cell service back (Alltel went down sometime last night/early this am); had Domino's pizza, with a lot of our other son's friends over to stay the night. That's good--that's why we have the house--for the ministry of "hospitality". Can't wait to stay at home to enjoydoing it too.

KCOU's AWOS still reports both runways closed, KJEF doesn't say closed or not. Lee C. Fine's (KAIZ) AWOS wasn't answering.

Y'all keep warm and safe.

Back