Ice Melt?

USAF JD

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
This has been a heck of a winter this year and my apron is covered in a lot of ice preventing me from getting the bird out, my apron slopes into my hangar. I know salt is a no no but I am wondering if there are any chemicals I can put down that wont ruin my airplane. I'm afraid to chip it away and ruin the asphalt, I also thought of melting it. I really just need a 1 FT path free of ice to get some good footing.:confused:

I use the low temp windshield washer fluid.

sarken-1_1.jpg

Crampons should do the trick ;)

If you want the ice gone. Try Magnesium Chloride based ice melters (they sell these at HD, ACE, etc). They melt without doing damage.

At my airport they recommend and use urea. It's available at feed stores. It's better than nothing, though I'm not sure that anything will really have much effect with the kind of temperatures we're seeing at the moment.

Not sure exactly where you are though.

Sawdust or Kitty Litter for traction.

The problem with kitty litter, is the traditional non-clumping clay stuff is getting hard to find on the market. The clumping stuff will turn into goo (and not help) if it's the least damp out there. Lots of the more modern stuff is made out of stuff which isn't going to help traction.

Plain old sand works pretty darn well for traction.

Actually, not a bad option. But you don't need anything quite so agressive. Snow Trax would probably work. http://www.amazon.com/Snow-Trax-Pairs-Mens-8-12/dp/B0043AFVQ6

I have a similar pair and they are fantastic on glare ice on asphalt.

And just remember not to hop up on the wing walk when you do pull the bird out:yikes:

Also I'd avoid the antifreeze method. That stuff is attractive to animals and can kill wildlife, the airport dog etc.

And just remember not to hop up on the wing walk when you do pull the bird out:yikes:

Also I'd avoid the antifreeze method. That stuff is attractive to animals and can kill wildlife, the airport dog etc.

RV antifreeze in Propalyne Glycol... You can supposably drink it... Ethelyne Glycol / regular antifreeze will kill animals though....

Last edited:

As mentioned, RV antifreeze is relatively safe although it does have purgative qualities - propylene glycol s the flush used prior to colonoscopy procedures.

Good point. But I don't think I have to worry. My plane is a high wing.
Also, it's pretty hard to forget you are wearing them, given the loud "clacking" sound they make on concrete. They also feel very different on your feet. Hard to explain unless you wear them.

Sawdust or Kitty Litter for traction.

The problem with kitty litter, is the traditional non-clumping clay stuff is getting hard to find on the market. The clumping stuff will turn into goo (and not help) if it's the least damp out there. Lots of the more modern stuff is made out of stuff which isn't going to help traction.

^^^^ This.

Plain old sand for me. It's cheaper than ice-melt & does fine for traction. And it's non-harmful to the environment.

My experience with kitty litter has not been good.

I use ice melt sparingly, and a lot of chopping after the ice structure has been compromised.

The liquid stuff is not going to melt the ice.

Try putting a little down BEFORE the ice accumulates. ;)

I like sand,gives you good traction,with no chemical interaction. Just have to be careful you don't blow it into other aircraft.

At my airport they recommend and use urea. It's available at feed stores. It's better than nothing, though I'm not sure that anything will really have much effect with the kind of temperatures we're seeing at the moment.

They use urea at my airport too. I put some down on Monday and it did start sinking in as it melted even in the upper single digits. Not sure how cold is too cold. According to this link, 15ºF is as low as it goes for being effective within 15-20 minutes.

I have a BIG problem with ice in front of my hangar right now thanks to the county slacking off on plowing and some temperature fluctuations and freezing rain - So now I have at least 3" of ice out in front of the hangar, thinning to near the door, and then a big ice berm at the bottom of the door. I put some urea down this morning and I'm going to go back tomorrow and chip out as much as I can in the balmy 23-degree weather. They're now calling for -13ºF highs here on Monday, it'd be fun to see what the Mooney will do in that! :D

And for prop erosion. :yikes:

Waterbed heating pads work pretty good for clearing ice. I use my old one on my back patio. Granted not as large as a hangar approach, but it works.

Back