Ice Ice Henning

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Just listened to your appearance on the Pilot cast. HOLY CRUD!! How much weight did all that ice add to the Travel Air? a FOOT on the tail plane :hairraise:. Aerodynamics aside the weight had to be astouding.

Now this I want to hear! Link?

Just listened to your appearance on the Pilot cast. HOLY CRUD!! How much weight did all that ice add to the Travel Air? a FOOT on the tail plane :hairraise:. Aerodynamics aside the weight had to be astouding.

Don't know, don't want to know, just glad to have survived it. One thing though, the Travel Air never did have a problem hauling weight, that wasn't a concern, keeping it producing lift was my concern.

So, when are we going to see Henning on "Ice Road Truckers"? :D

NEVER!!!! I ran an icebreaker before, no way in hell would I go into those kind of conditions with only the resources of a semi. Even though they have safety patrols and all that, when even moderate things go wrong, at -40 and below, death isn't very far away.

While not insignificant, airframe ice generally doesn't amount to a lot of weight, and in any case by the time you pick up enough weight to matter you're already barely flying due to the huge increase in drag plus loss of lift and thrust that results from the airfoil shape changes.

Take a 40 ft wingspan Baron. Three inches of clear ice "horns" would amount to something like 3x2x480=2880 cubic inches. Solid ice is about 30 in^3 to the pound so that comes to something like 100 lbs. Even clear ice has a fair amount of air in it so the actual weight would be quite a bit less.

NEVER!!!! I ran an icebreaker before, no way in hell would I go into those kind of conditions with only the resources of a semi. Even though they have safety patrols and all that, when even moderate things go wrong, at -40 and below, death isn't very far away.

And this is from the guy quoted as saying "I take the jobs that nobody else wants to." :eek:

Henning, last night I listened to your episode. All I can say is "Wow," you've got amazing stories to tell. I hope you'll write a book sharing them at some point.

And this is from the guy quoted as saying "I take the jobs that nobody else wants to." :eek:

I hate cold, and they don't pay those drivers enough for me to do it. Besides, there are other guys who want to do it.

Henning, last night I listened to your episode. All I can say is "Wow," you've got amazing stories to tell. I hope you'll write a book sharing them at some point.

And then there's the ones I can't tell, at least not for a few more years....;)

Back