IC5 Calvacade of Planes

charheep

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
charheep
Clow airport had their annual air show (more like a gathering) over the past weekend. We have always gone, its a nice small one runway airport, and the show is pretty neat. They have had, in the past, used planes with prices listed at the show to look at and dream. That was my favorite part, my girls like the warbirds screaming overheard.

We went Sunday, and for some reason, there was a 45 minute wait just to get into the airport. The longest I ever waited was 2 minutes before. The shuttle driver, who stopped taking people since the line was backed up to the remote parking, said they have 10,000 people on Saturday with the rain and bad weather, and expected 15,000 on Sunday.

It was nice to see the interest and money poured back into the museum, but crap there were lines for everything and tons of people to walk around.

Anyone know why the drastic change? Did they advertise on TV or someplace new?

my buddies and I have been going every year for the past 7 or 8 and the crowds just keep getting bigger and bigger. we used to be able to get there relatively early for breakfast at Charlie's but the line is super long there as well. we didn't make it this year as we all had conflicts. Clow completely reconstructed their runway late last year and from what I've been told there are no more grass landings there.

What no more grass landings at Clow?, that is pure sacrilege ,the two original runways were both grass, there were hundreds of tail draggers there at one time. and a very active flight school in the 70's-80's it was a busy place.

Then the paved runway came and we used to fly gliders off the grass to the West of the paved runway, lots of flying out of there long ago, got my first ride there in a Tri Pacer, at 14 and was hooked, I knew Boyd Clow since I was about 6,. great guy and he would really tell you if you did some thing he did not like I mean really tell you, but had a heart of gold.

It nice to see an airport that was probably doomed due the development around it survive

What no more grass landings at Clow?, that is pure sacrilege ,the two original runways were both grass, there were hundreds of tail draggers there at one time. and a very active flight school in the 70's-80's it was a busy place.

Then the paved runway came and we used to fly gliders off the grass to the West of the paved runway, lots of flying out of there long ago, got my first ride there in a Tri Pacer, at 14 and was hooked, I knew Boyd Clow since I was about 6,. great guy and he would really tell you if you did some thing he did not like I mean really tell you, but had a heart of gold.

It nice to see an airport that was probably doomed due the development around it survive
that's my understanding. the re-built runway is a few feet higher and a few feet wider, new striping, lights, etc. but, alas, no more grass landings (according to someone who is 'sposed to know). had one of my two intro rides before I started lessons at Clow in their '46 Aeronca Champ. 50' off the ground the cabin door swung open. the instructor said, "Don't worry" as he calmly maneuvered the plane to slam the door shut. a most interesting flight.

'tis a nice little airport. I went to the Cavalcade a few years back and got to fly right seat in the EAA Ford.

Back