IAF not on IFR Charts

MarcP

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Marc P
Hello, a couple questions came up when looking at an IFR flight to KVGT (North Las Vegas).

1) How do I get to the IAF for the RNAV12 approach (ECAKO) safely when I don't see it on the IFR Charts? Should I assume I need to use one of the published arrival procedures and get Vectors to ECAKO? (they are RADAR REQUIRED procedures). Example is the NTNDO1 arrival.
3) In a Lost Comms scenario, is it impossible to continue to this airport in IFR since we won't have radar guidance?

Thank you!

Marc

Attachments

• 06970R12R.pdf
    294.4 KB · Views: 43
Hello, a couple questions came up when looking at an IFR flight to KVGT (North Las Vegas).

1) How do I get to the IAF for the RNAV12 approach (ECAKO) safely when I don't see it on the IFR Charts? Should I assume I need to use one of the published arrival procedures and get Vectors to ECAKO? (they are RADAR REQUIRED procedures). Example is the NTNDO1 arrival.
3) In a Lost Comms scenario, is it impossible to continue to this airport in IFR since we won't have radar guidance?

Thank you!

Marc

Have you checked the routes ATC normally clears from your departure airport?

I think you're asking good questions and thinking smart.

Given the surrounding terrain, even with an IFR GPS I probably wouldn't feel comfortable flying the approach with lost comm unless the GPS had the type of terrain display that shows red and yellow areas to indicate terrain proximity.

I guess another alternative would be to use a VFR chart to preplan an emergency route from the enroute structure to the IAF.

Thank you!

Marc
You get there by using GPS. STAR not needed. Approach can simply clear you direct ECAKO.

Navigation to the IAF (ECAKO) is via GPS, which is required for this approach. (See notation at upper left: "RNP APCH - GPS"). ATC will clear you directly there at some point to initiate the approach. In case of lost comm with no VFR available, you could navigate to ECAKO via GPS guidance. If VFR conditions are available after comm loss, you could land at as soon as practical in VFR conditions at a suitable airport. What is not entirely clear is how you would manage to arrive safely at ECAKO at the required 9000 MSL depending on your direction of approach, given the MSA (note: this is centered on RWY12R) is quite a bit higher, as is terrain to the west. I might decide to try something else in a lost comm situation.

How do I get to the IAF for the RNAV12 approach (ECAKO) safely when I don't see it on the IFR Charts?
As others have pointed out, you can simply fly to the IAF (GPS direct). The days when an IAF had to exist on the enroute chart (or a STAR, or a feeder route from enroute to the IAF) are long gone - and that's a good thing.

- Martin

Thanks for the input. Interesting question if one can legally get to the IAF without vectors since there is no MEA on a chart. Seems like an alternate is the best option in this scenario.

Thanks for the input. Interesting question if one can legally get to the IAF without vectors since there is no MEA on a chart. Seems like an alternate is the best option in this scenario.
What makes you think an MEA is required? Or why vectors have anything to do with it.
The minimum IFR altitudes are in 91.177, but in practice you won't get an off-airways route below the MVA (whether vectored or own nav). There are a few exceptions to the latter as far as ATC unpublished routes.

As others have pointed out, you can simply fly to the IAF (GPS direct). The days when an IAF had to exist on the enroute chart (or a STAR, or a feeder route from enroute to the IAF) are long gone - and that's a good thing.

- Martin
Ensuring terrain and obstruction clearance on direct routes in mountain country requires care, however!

My understanding is that it's legal when there's radar coverage, but in a lost comm situation, depending on the circumstances exercising 91.3(b) authority may be necessary, as well as careful ADM on the part of the PIC.

Back