IACRA form for IFR

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
So I am finishing up my last bit of training on Monday and taking my check ride within about two weeks. Woo-hoo!!!
My CFI, who does not do a lot of students, was telling me that the IACRA form is quite a challenge. I was asking about getting my logbook ready for my DPE to review. The King checkride prep course talks about getting the logbook ready so that will be easier to glide through at checkride. But my CFI told me that aloof of the logbook stuff will go onto your IACRA form. What al do I have to put on this form? Do I put individual logbook entries to show hours there?? I was going to go on site and look st the application but don’t want to open or start something I shouldn’t be doing yet.
I want to make sure my ducks are in order before I see DPE to avoid some minor f-up that I get sent home for! I know it is my CFI’s job to review as well. I’m just looking to streamline the process, something the FAA seems fundamentally against!! Next -gen my a$$!,

The IACRA form includes an summary of your flight times, but doesn't have any place where you spell out the flights needed for the rating. To do that I like using an electronic logbook and the one I use works well for this (myflightbook.com). Foreflight and Garmin Pilot also have built-in logbooks, but I haven't used them for this. Once the data is entered, you can click on "Training/Ratings Progress" and select "Instrument Rating". It will list all of the flights it finds that are needed for the rating in a nice easy to read format. I used this for my commercial check ride but in my case, the DPE never looked at it.

MyFlightBook.jpg

So I am finishing up my last bit of training on Monday and taking my check ride within about two weeks. Woo-hoo!!!
My CFI, who does not do a lot of students, was telling me that the IACRA form is quite a challenge. I was asking about getting my logbook ready for my DPE to review. The King checkride prep course talks about getting the logbook ready so that will be easier to glide through at checkride. But my CFI told me that aloof of the logbook stuff will go onto your IACRA form. What al do I have to put on this form? Do I put individual logbook entries to show hours there?? I was going to go on site and look st the application but don’t want to open or start something I shouldn’t be doing yet.
I want to make sure my ducks are in order before I see DPE to avoid some minor f-up that I get sent home for! I know it is my CFI’s job to review as well. I’m just looking to streamline the process, something the FAA seems fundamentally against!! Next -gen my a$$!,
My CFI sounds like yours (not a lot of students). When I did my iacra a month or so ago, he said I could do as little or as much as I wanted as far as filling out the hours portion (as long as you filled in the necessary hours for the ir) but that it also made a good recorded backup if you lost your log books. I filled mine out very completely...this included night hours, night instruction hours, second in command,etc

You do not put individual flights into IACRA, just totals. The requirements for the checkride can be found in FAR 61.65. Here are a couple of links that will help you.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/61.65

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/active-pilots/ratings-and-endorsements/instrument-rating

IACRA is not difficult at all.

If you use MyFlightBook, it provides all the hours the 8710 or IACRA asks for. Makes life easy.

Go ahead and start an IACRA application...that'll give you the best idea what it's all about. You can do everything, and if you don't click "submit" at the end, your instructor can help you fix whatever needs fixing.

Worst case, you screw it up royally, you can start a new application. I think unused applications drop out after a time.

Go ahead and start an IACRA application...that'll give you the best idea what it's all about. You can do everything, and if you don't click "submit" at the end, your instructor can help you fix whatever needs fixing.

Worst case, you screw it up royally, you can start a new application. I think unused applications drop out after a time.
That’s good. I was hoping it wasn’t like the medical that If you start and screw up it can bite ya. I’ll get one started and save it.

It’s ok to start if before I get officially signed off I assume. I tried the read the IACRA manual but i think the launch manual for the shuttle is easier to understand.

Back