I wish we had this kind of passion

Wow, are you sure these guys aren't from Oklahoma?

Seriously, that kind of innovation and determination speaks well for them. With no-one there to poo-poo them down, these guys just may be leading the pack before too much longer. :eek:

Judging by the way they drive in China I hope they don't learn to fly.

I'm not sure that they've got more freedom to fly - perhaps just more motivation to work on things like that since it's easier for us in this country to fly and have access to flying machines.

Boredom is the mother of cool inventions.

Apparently, none of you guys have made it to Oshkosh in recent years. Stuff there will put the brightest Chinese to shame.

Did anyone else think the ultralight in the picture appeared to be powered by a big rubber band inside that long black tube?

Apparently, none of you guys have made it to Oshkosh in recent years. Stuff there will put the brightest Chinese to shame.
+100

While the article was interesting, and it is good to see those people attempting to exercise some freedoms, most of those projects (except the electric plane) look like things EAA guys were coming up with 30-50 years ago.

These chinese innovators are operating under extreme financial and regulatory constraints. Here in the U.S., we have much smaller financial constrants and almost NO regulatory constraints. For all practical purposes, the FAA will let one build and attempt to fly virtually anything here. In fact, this level of innovation is so common among American experimental aviation that we tend to ignore it.

We aren't building things like that because we don't have to build things like that. We don't have to limit ourselves to foot launched sub-ultralights that don't fly too fast or too high. We can go as fast and as high as our pocketbooks and ingenuity will takes us, and as time goes on that continously gets a little faster and a little higher.

Did anyone else think the ultralight in the picture appeared to be powered by a big rubber band inside that long black tube?
:yes::rofl:
And, I thought the auto-gyro looked just like the Bensen kits you could buy in the 50's - not that that's bad.

Now we're getting into the aforementioned poo-pooing....

In fact, I was at Oshkosh this year, and saw some cutting edge technology flying from a company called Yuneec (pronounced unique). Care to guess what country this company is from?
(Hint - innovation - like Oshkosh attendance - is not limited to Americans)

Wit

:rofl:

It appears to be man powered. I think those are peddles he has his feet on.

:yes::rofl:
And, I thought the auto-gyro looked just like the Bensen kits you could buy in the 50's - not that that's bad.
It is quite possible that the guy's auto-gyro is modeled after the Benson. Plans for the Benson gyro and derivatives have been for sale in hardcopy form and floating around different places on the net for years.

Back