I will say this for Putin...

hankrausch

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GoodbyePOA
Regional hegemony, invasions of countries, and extra-judicial killings aside, you have to give credit where credit it due: Russia has been turning out some top shows lately that highlight achievements in Russian history. Watched a show "Salyut 7" last night on Amazon Prime about a 1985 incident where two cosmonauts managed to board a derelict space station and get it back running. Just gripping. I highly recommend it.

Reminds me of this:

'Outside of the killings, D.C. has one of the lowest crime rates in the country.'
Marion Barry
Mayor for life​

Sorta like:
“Other than that, Mrs. Kennedy, how was the parade?”

Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Hitler was really good for Germany. He rebuilt all the roads and got the factories going again. --Marge Shott

Sure. Benito Mussolini finally got the trains in Italy running on time. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you have absolute power and can do as you please. There are generally some down sides to getting and keeping absolute power, though, and it's seldom nice people in that position.

Regional hegemony, invasions of countries, and extra-judicial killings aside, you have to give credit where credit it due: Russia has been turning out some top shows lately that highlight achievements in Russian history. Watched a show "Salyut 7" last night on Amazon Prime about a 1985 incident where two cosmonauts managed to board a derelict space station and get it back running. Just gripping. I highly recommend it.

I'll check it out, wonder if it's on Netflix.

As for the invasions, killings and iron fisted rule,we do the same, just don't sugar coat and market it.

It's not a invasion, were "stabilizing" a region

It's not murder of a US citizen without due process, because we labeled them a "terrorist"

And it's not hegemony, it's "zero tolerance" and if you're not down with that you must just not care about "the children".

Just like how we change names for marketing, it's no longer the department of war, it's the department of "defense".

I feel so badly for the Russians. They’re and amazing people with incredible human capital. But Putin has always gone for the short term befit with no attention to the long game. Russia’s GDP is less than that of Texas. Russia produces fewer patents than Microsoft.

The one and only really good thing I’ll say about Putn’s Russia is its level of public debt is actually quite low, a very small fraction of ours. But she is isolated and being robbed blind by her leaders and their cronies.

Well the main thing I wanted to share was that "Salyut 7" is a heck of a movie, it is right up there with The Right Stuff. The scene where they are docking is amazing, the pilot is told to knock it off and rest and while they are in radio silence he goes ahead and docks and when Russian Mission Control calls him to start the sequence again he says "Check your display". It will strike a chord with a lot of pilots I think, a very human movie.

I
Russia produces fewer patents than Microsoft.

That one really has more to say about our broken patent system and fleets of IP lawyers drooling to make a buck off of being Microsoft’s henchmen, than much about Russia. Other than said lawyers would just mysteriously turn up dead, if they bothered anyone over there.

Well the main thing I wanted to share was that "Salyut 7" is a heck of a movie, it is right up there with The Right Stuff. The scene where they are docking is amazing, the pilot is told to knock it off and rest and while they are in radio silence he goes ahead and docks and when Russian Mission Control calls him to start the sequence again he says "Check your display". It will strike a chord with a lot of pilots I think, a very human movie.
I watched that a week or two ago. I agree it's a captivating story and a well done movie.

Where did you see it? Netfix? PBS? Sounds like good documentery

Is it dubbed? or subtitled?

Saw it too, pretty good
Also Night Swallows
Yay, Amazon Prime free movies.

Russia’s GDP is less than that of Texas.

Yeah, it could be better. But see the attached picture, it might help with a perspective.

Another thing. When Soviet Union disintegrated, Ukraine and Russia were peers in many respects. In fact, Ukraine had better starting position: better climate, better roads, better industrial mix, better warm ports, better access to European markets. The GDP per capita was somewhat better in Ukraine. Fast-forward 25 years, and an average Ukrainian is 3 times (THREE TIMES) poorer than an average Russian. Looking at the results, you would never believe which country is a democracy and a friend of the West, and which country is a cleptocracy run by a tinpot dictator. Don't think that people living there fail to notice the disparity.

Russia produces fewer patents than Microsoft.

Some would say that's a good thing, because patents never did anything good for the innovation, and therefore all they do is imposing a burden of the wealth transfer upon the economy. Patents have this feel-good myth about them, they feel just by supposedly helping the inventor. Research says otherwise.

Add to it how bogus most of USPTO criteria are, especially in software (where Microsoft operates, coincidentally), and you see some rather nonsensial numbers of patents granted. Again, the research seem to indicate that the only field where patents are anywhere near sensible in America is drugs. Even that accomplishment is getting pushed back by the advancements in genomics - there was a rush to patent every ******n gene of ever living thing, which is absolutely insane.

That said, of course Russia lags in research - both fundamental and application. Not just the number of patents, but the citation indexes and Nobel captures are poor and aren't improving. It's just that patents are evil and is a lie we're telling ourselves.

Attachments

• rusgdp.png
    rusgdp.png
    34 KB · Views: 9
Is it dubbed? or subtitled?
I saw it on amazon prime and yes it is subtitled which I realize does distract/detract from a movie experience sometimes.

The thing that captivates me about watching a show like this is we see how other people see America. The US press is depicted as kind of hysterical warmongers who are going to launch the space shuttle to capture their space station-why else would they launch a shuttle with an empty cargo bay that can fit it? But you also see a grudging respect for the US as in one of the final scenes the space shuttle flies by--suspend belief please--and the US astronauts give a salute which is returned. Sounds cheesy I know but it works.

Best line: The Russian version of Gene Kranz is exhorting the pilot the obligatory "go gently treat it like a woman" when the pilot is trying to dock. Pilot's response "I've never done it with a woman spinning in 3 axes!"

Another thing. When Soviet Union disintegrated, Ukraine and Russia were peers in many respects. In fact, Ukraine had better starting position: better climate, better roads, better industrial mix, better warm ports, better access to European markets. The GDP per capita was somewhat better in Ukraine. Fast-forward 25 years, and an average Ukrainian is 3 times (THREE TIMES) poorer than an average Russian. Looking at the results, you would never believe which country is a democracy and a friend of the West, and which country is a cleptocracy run by a tinpot dictator. Don't think that people living there fail to notice the disparity.

Neither of the countries is a democracy and both are run by cleptocratic tinpot dictators.

The difference is that Russia inherited a huge mineral wealth which accounts for a sizeable share of it's GDP and the majority of it's exports (It's not like the world is itching to drive Ladas or watch russian telenovelas).

Neither of the countries is a democracy and both are run by cleptocratic tinpot dictators.

The difference is that Russia inherited a huge mineral wealth which accounts for a sizeable share of it's GDP and the majority of it's exports (It's not like the world is itching to drive Ladas or watch russian telenovelas).

Well the US is technically a constitutional republic

Wow! Thanks for sharing that.
After reading through the article, it's not entirely clear to me whether the article is about the film you saw. Since you've seen it and I haven't, what's your take on that?

Well, I guess it depends how you count. Mineral exports account for just under half of Russian exports, with oil products 42% (and almost third of that is refined, too). So, yes, Russkies clearly are resource heavy, and mineral resources put together are perilously close to the majority. But it's not quite Venezuela, where oil products constitute 89% of exports. Strangely enough, cars are a whopping 1.3% of Russian exports. I presume it's mostly trucks. They also export about as much of jet engines and pipeline turbines, despite also importing high-tech jet engines from the U.S. -- believe it or not, it's not under embargo yet.

P.S. I think a big reason why mineral exports fail to make the majority of Russian exports is their sales of advanced weapons, which are expensive. They comprised something like 16% in 2016. The headline items are fighter jets and air defense missiles, as well as tanks.

Last edited:
After reading through the article, it's not entirely clear to me whether the article is about the film you saw. Since you've seen it and I haven't, what's your take on that?
It’s not. The film is a dramatic production made in 2017 not a documentary, the others precede it. There do seem to be more national-identity affirming shows from Russia these days. Overall positive but could do without the jingoistic tenor.
As for the claim who knows? We did steal a sunken Zulu from them. We did tap their undersea cables in territorial waters both in the Sea of O and also off Kildin Island in the Barents. How much fuel does it really take to go from 55 to 51 degrees if the ship is lightly loaded?

It’s not. The film is a dramatic production made in 2017 not a documentary, the others precede it. There do seem to be more national-identity affirming shows from Russia these days. Overall positive but could do without the jingoistic tenor.
As for the claim who knows? We did steal a sunken Zulu from them. We did tap their undersea cables in territorial waters both in the Sea of O and also off Kildin Island in the Barents. How much fuel does it really take to go from 55 to 51 degrees if the ship is lightly loaded?
I have no clue about how much fuel it would have taken, but the article discussed a lot more problems than that in the original documentary's story, some of which seem like they would be pretty hard to explain away.

Saw the movie thanks to you guys. Based on what I read on the internets I have the suspicion that it is highly fictionalized, but it is nevertheless a really good movie.

Just watched it this afternoon. I thought it was very well done and quite entertaining. I enjoyed it more than some recent US space themed movies.

Back