I want to go to OSH 2024... BUT

There was a tent in the North 40 that had eight 18”x36” solar panels with an air conditioner hooked up to it. :)
I need to know more about this tent… this is my type of “camping”

Couldn't you just get a small Home Depot 110 volt AC window unit and run it in the camping area that has electricity?

Couldn't you just get a small Home Depot 110 volt AC window unit and run it in the camping area that has electricity?
Reminds me of what I did years ago cruising the country in my 1970’s camper van. Bought one of these window a/c unit units which worked like a charm in the electrified camping areas.

The heat plus humidity was oppressive. And I can only assume Wisconsin has outlawed air conditioning. There was none to be found on the grounds.

Well, the FAA auditorium is airconditioned. I ended up listening to a lot of speakers there to escape the heat.

The heat plus humidity was oppressive. And I can only assume Wisconsin has outlawed air conditioning. There was none to be found on the grounds.

I found a vendor that was in a trailer that had ac running. She was selling necklaces and earrings. I must have looked at every earring at least twice

+1 for AirBnb. There are quite a few properties pretty close. If you don't mind staying 30-45 minutes away, your options expand quite a bit.
Yes I stayed in Green Bay and hotel prices were only a fraction of those in the Appleton and Osh areas.

Just move it to end of September. Probably not snowing yet up there that time of year. :)

Seems like Air BNB is the way to go. I definitely don't mind driving in each day. I will check it out. Appreciate it. Certainly the heat is a factor, but what are you going to do... gotta deal with it.

The accommodations are not all booked for next year....I book a hotel in the Feb time frame. Now, how close do you want? If you want to "walk" to the airfield...ok. But, I drive 20-30 minutes to get to the field and have no trouble getting rooms.

I bet you could find a BnB if you look hard....but, it may be a 20-30 min drive in.

Two days walking all day kicked my butt. My worn-out joints are past going for long stretches, plus the heat. I live in Florida and do pretty well in heat, but still am pretty much never outside during peak times for more than 30 minutes.

I was all set to humble down and get a scooter for the rest of it, but got sick and am out for a bit.

The whole spectacle of AirVenture was amazing. It’s just so huge, so much variety and the people are the best! Aviation is a small world. We, by complete chance, wound up chatting with a guy who turned out to be one of the original owners at our airpark. And the next day I meet someone from just up the road and we have a mutual friend. I think that in pretty much all of aviation there is no more than three degrees of separation.

The accommodations are not all booked for next year....I book a hotel in the Feb time frame. Now, how close do you want? If you want to "walk" to the airfield...ok. But, I drive 20-30 minutes to get to the field and have no trouble getting rooms.

I bet you could find a BnB if you look hard....but, it may be a 20-30 min drive in.
I have no problem driving 30-1 hour even. Perhaps right now the hotels haven't opened up booking yet. If you look now say on Booking . com it shows booked all over that area. Like I said, we are in Vancouver and don't at all mind having to drive a bit and make an effort as we have never been before.

Clearly you didn't go into the Foreflight/Boeing fortress. The air was so strong in there it would blow your hat off if you walked over a vent.

I have traditionally flown and stayed in a tent. I can say this was the hottest year I've been there for and am glad I wasn't tent camping. I elected to drive up this year with my truck camper and it for sure is the way to go. Storms are a non issue, you have a comfy bed, I ate every meal but one lunch at the camper. AC and a comfy chair to take a mid day break in was NICE! With a bike or scooter you can get around the grounds very quickly and go to the gate closes to what you want to see. No uber, no bus lines, and I could even see the airshow from my camper. I was even able to take my showers in the camper to avoid the bath houses! The only way it could have been better is if I was rich enough to keep the truck and camper in WI, pay someone to maintain it and fly into Fon Du Lac to pick it up.

Clearly you didn't go into the Foreflight/Boeing fortress. The air was so strong in there it would blow your hat off if you walked over a vent.
Or the Garmin building, which was the coldest place on the grounds that I encountered. Felt like they had it down to low-mid 70s. Epic Aircraft was also nicely cooled, as well as the Embraer and Pilatus buildings.

If you’re still looking for 2024, EAA rents campers in the water/electric area of the campground. Not sure of the prices but I know lots of people use them. No muss, no fuss, just leave ‘em when your done!

Last year we stayed in a nice hotel just north of MKE...approx 1 hour drive to KOSH, but there are plenty of options.

Last year we stayed in a nice hotel just north of MKE...approx 1 hour drive to KOSH, but there are plenty of options.
There are a couple of hotels in West Bend (KETB), which is about 45 minutes North of MKE. Country Inn and Hampton Inn, IIRC.

There are also two good restaurants in town - The Norbert and Orville.

The IAC building always has very cold AC and free popcorn. Just an FYI

There's a company that runs a shuttle between OSH and Stevens Point. They keep the bus on the grounds during the day, running the A/C and stocked with drinks. I have no idea who it is or how to contact them.

If you can camp with no hookups, this could be an option. On your own for travel to the show, probably

Cheers all, I am not sure if this year is in the cards, however we will be going at some point, hell or highwater

Back