I want to get a medical but I'm scared

A

Aviation757

I've been admitted to the hospital twice, one was when i was 13 and one was a few months ago, 16. I have adhd,asd,add. That's what they have me diagnosed as but we dont believe so because I don't really act as I have it, a lot has changed with meds. I am not doing well in school because of difficulties with school as it is difficult because of the teachers. With all this, I'm nervous I can't get a medical as Aviation is my true passion and I want to pursue a career in this field as a pilot. I've been into aviation when i wasn't even 1, we lived on the Pensacola Naval Air Station so I'm a very big avgeek and want my dream to come true. @bbchien Thanks guys.

Wow. That’s a lot to digest. You have been hospitalized twice however feel you disagree with a diagnosis… School is hard because of the teachers.. I know I sound like an old “Get off my lawn!!!” Kind of guy but I think you have a lot of maturing to do before any real concerns about a future medical.

I've been admitted to the hospital twice, one was when i was 13 and one was a few months ago, 16. I have adhd,asd,add. That's what they have me diagnosed as but we dont believe so because I don't really act as I have it, a lot has changed with meds. I am not doing well in school because of difficulties with school as it is difficult because of the teachers. With all this, I'm nervous I can't get a medical as Aviation is my true passion and I want to pursue a career in this field as a pilot. I've been into aviation when i wasn't even 1, we lived on the Pensacola Naval Air Station so I'm a very big avgeek and want my dream to come true. @bbchien Thanks guys.

Sounds like a challenge. I won't comment on your ability to get a medical, but will point out that there are other aviation career options available to you if you can't. For example, you could be a dispatcher. And fly light sport aircraft as a hobby (no medical required).

It used to be that given childhood ADHD diagnosis, if you made it through college and adulthood with success unmedicated, the FAA would concede that you probably were misdiagnosed. Alas, this has changed over time. Now the FAA needs to get their kickback from the COGSCREEN AE people, so you'll have to go through the neuropsych evaluation with that in order to convince them that you. might be competent.

OP, that is a lot to deal with in terms of the FAA medical. The path ahead of you is long and hard, and possibly not passible, depending on what meds you're on and if you actually have the things you're diagnosed with. You will have to work with a special AME and take some cognitive function tests to prove that you don't actually have ADHD, etc., and possibly change (or stop) medication to something "flying-approved".

You said you've been hospitalized twice, and have been diagnosed with ADHD, ADD, and ASD, and that you are on meds. What were you hospitalized for? What meds are you on, and for what? Why do you think you don't have the things you were diagnosed to have? You don't have to answer those questions here, but you need to know the answers when you talk to an AME.

Your best bet may be to try the path suggested by a previous poster - fly for fun, in little planes.

I have adhd,asd,add. That's what they have me diagnosed as but we dont believe so because I don't really act as I have it, a lot has changed with meds.

That's the whole point of the meds.

I am not doing well in school because of difficulties with school as it is difficult because of the teachers.

Just what are the teachers doing that makes you feel it's their fault?

Sounds like a challenge. I won't comment on your ability to get a medical, but will point out that there are other aviation career options available to you if you can't. For example, you could be a dispatcher. And fly light sport aircraft as a hobby (no medical required).

Hey so ya i've looked into that, as I control on the VATSIM network, a virtual ATC network, i've thought of it and considered it. But if anything I want the pilot path because really that's the only thing i'm narrowed to, so I mean its like im stuck in a bubble of the "pilot" world, not trying to get out and go to dispatch or controlling etc.

Best thing you can do to prove to yourself and the FAA that you're worthy of a medical is to bring the schoolwork up to an excellent level, in spite of having difficult teachers.
Successful people learn to perform well even in difficult situations.

When you are ready for your checkride, you don't get to blame any shortcomings on "I had a difficult flight instructor".

After reading the OP's medical history, it makes me scared he wants to be a pilot, not to be nasty, but the reality as much as he likes aviation, becoming a pilot is not the only path to enjoy aviation, and the Feds will make this medical a nightmare for OP, and that just might kill your desire for what you like, go the light sport route or get involved a lot of other ways, we don't always get what we think we want and sometimes it is a blessing for us

Based on what you've written, I suspect you're facing a loooong and expen$ive journey to an FAA medical, if it's even possible at all. As others have mentioned, some of your statements aren't particularly encouraging, either, like blaming your teachers for not doing well in school.

Consider, too, that if you want a career as a professional pilot, the medical is just the start. You're going to need extensive training, and if you want to fly for a major airline you'll probably need a college degree, too. What I'm saying is that you'd better learn how to learn. Find out how to succeed in school and start getting top grades.

Even the medical and training don't guarantee a job. You'll still need to get hired. Even if you clear the FAA hurdles, that doesn't mean an airline will hire you over other job candidates.

I'm not trying to discourage you. Rather, I'd encourage you to take an honest look at yourself and your difficulties, get some advice from people who know you well, and consider all your alternatives. There are aviation careers besides being a pilot. And you can learn to fly LSAs and gliders without a medical. Heck, you might even consider getting a drone pilot certificate, as there will probably be job opportunities there.

Smart to reach out and ask good questions. Keep in mind also that the world is a LOT bigger than you realize, and that there are so many things you can do besides being a pilot. You just don't know it yet.

Being an airline pilot is probably not going to work out, and I would hate to see you spend a lot of time and money for something that never comes to fruition. You can spend that time and money working on a vocation you'll love even more than what you're imagining being a pilot would be like.

Unfortunately, it seems there are a lot of things working against you. All I know is what you have posted above. Specifically:
1) Qualified, trained medical people have diagnosed you with ADHD, ASD, ADD, hospitalized twice.
2) Medication has been prescribed and is taken. The medication is helping
3) You and a few others who are not (or have not established to be) qualified, trained medical people, disagree
4) Academic issues which are blamed on the teachers
5) You are a VATSIM controller

As you probably know, a medical only hinges on your person, not your grades or whether you do any simulation work (as pilot or controller, etc), so only points 1 - 3 are relevant here.
I would suggest that point 3 above is irrelevant because, well, you're not trained or qualified.

So now we're down to just points 1 and 2 being relevant to getting a medical. Yeah, gonna be hard to convince the FAA. I have no definite answer, but I'm sure others will. After all, you've been around here long enough to know who to page.

Remember, though, if you're wanting to work as a pilot you will need at least a class II medical if not a class I, so that's added requirements.
----------

While only points 1 & 2 above really apply to the medical, that is not the only hurdle you'll have to jump through to be a pilot.
Let's jump on the positive train and say you get the medical (I sincerely hope you do, btw).

You now have to complete the training. This is where points 3 - 5 come in, and they are not encouraging and here is why:
Point 3 shows you consider your untrained opinion to be as qualified as that of people who actually are qualified. This shows an arrogance to think you know more than they do. Do medical people make wrong diagnosis? Sure, but my money is on the docs vs some non-medical personnel. If you really feel it is a bad diagnosis, go get a second opinion by a qualified doctor. Considering your opinion to be of higher value than it is has lead to many fatal accidents in all walks of life but most relevant here, to fatalities in aviation.

Point 4 shows that you do not take responsibility for your results. While this is not particular to you, it is still a problem. Ultimately the purpose of school is to teach you about <this> subject (art, history, math, whatever). If your teacher doesn't cover it, go find a video. I am confident there are YouTube videos on every subject you could want. You need to cultivate the ability to learn from many sources since I promise that you will not have amazing teachers for every material covered between now and your dream job.

Point 5 shows desire to be part of the system, but could also lead to learning bad habits. If you and an instructor in the future disagree about something, do everyone a favor and do NOT say "Well, that's how we do it in VATSIM" you will get absolutely no credit for that response.

--------

Despite the possible tone of the above, I sincerely wish you will and hope you manage to achieve your dream.

We don't know from the OP that that the hospital admissions are for a mental disorder. It would be very rare to be admitted for ADHD or related disorders. Unless we have clarification on what the admissions were for, we can't comment with any accuracy on them.

"A lot has changed with meds". I have no idea how to interpret that, it could be taken in a bunch of different ways. Are the meds not working or are they? I do know some kids who probably got more screwed up by the meds than helped by them. Bringing up autism spectrum, however, is very different from the many misdiagnoses of ADD/ADHD we've become accustomed to, and I don't think would be as common a misdiagnosis. The way the OP post is written, I have to think something is up with his learning though, because a 16 year old should be able to communicate more clearly than this.

OP, if you actually have any shot at being a pilot, it will start by figuring out your school work, with or without meds, whatever works for you. Maybe you can wean your way off meds and make enough progress to do sport pilot or gliders, or maybe even eventually be able to pass the neuro-psych testing required for a regular medical.

The key here is that the FAA looks at your entire history, all the documents, every record, looking hard to excluded related conditions that co-exist about 40% of the time. You have not not have a ONE of them for the std neurospcyhological battery (~$3K)to be useable. Otherwise you end up with the FAA Pyshciatry evlauation as well. Now your'e talking $6.5K total and there are no guarantees (and this worek is not ccovered by insurances)..

An ASD- that depends on the current Bubble Echo, Cardiologist's history + opinion, and stress treadmill run result.
This is a "long road", and not covered by insurances.

B

Unfortunately, it seems there are a lot of things working against you. All I know is what you have posted above. Specifically:
1)Qualified, trained medical people have diagnosed you with ADHD, ASD, ADD, hospitalized twice.
2) Medication has been prescribed and is taken. The medication is helping
3) You and a few others who are not (or have not established to be) qualified, trained medical people, disagree
4) Academic issues which are blamed on the teachers
5) You are a VATSIM controller

As you probably know, a medical only hinges on your person, not your grades or whether you do any simulation work (as pilot or controller, etc), so only points 1 - 3 are relevant here.
I would suggest that point 3 above is irrelevant because, well, you're not trained or qualified.

So now we're down to just points 1 and 2 being relevant to getting a medical. Yeah, gonna be hard to convince the FAA. I have no definite answer, but I'm sure others will. After all, you've been around here long enough to know who to page.

Remember, though, if you're wanting to work as a pilot you will need at least a class II medical if not a class I, so that's added requirements.
----------

While only points 1 & 2 above really apply to the medical, that is not the only hurdle you'll have to jump through to be a pilot.
Let's jump on the positive train and say you get the medical (I sincerely hope you do, btw).

You now have to complete the training. This is where points 3 - 5 come in, and they are not encouraging and here is why:
Point 3 shows you consider your untrained opinion to be as qualified as that of people who actually are qualified. This shows an arrogance to think you know more than they do. Do medical people make wrong diagnosis? Sure, but my money is on the docs vs some non-medical personnel. If you really feel it is a bad diagnosis, go get a second opinion by a qualified doctor. Considering your opinion to be of higher value than it is has lead to many fatal accidents in all walks of life but most relevant here, to fatalities in aviation.

Point 4 shows that you do not take responsibility for your results. While this is not particular to you, it is still a problem. Ultimately the purpose of school is to teach you about <this> subject (art, history, math, whatever). If your teacher doesn't cover it, go find a video. I am confident there are YouTube videos on every subject you could want. You need to cultivate the ability to learn from many sources since I promise that you will not have amazing teachers for every material covered between now and your dream job.

Point 5 shows desire to be part of the system, but could also lead to learning bad habits. If you and an instructor in the future disagree about something, do everyone a favor and do NOT say "Well, that's how we do it in VATSIM" you will get absolutely no credit for that response.

--------

Despite the possible tone of the above, I sincerely wish you will and hope you manage to achieve your dream.

I landed on this site from a bing search on a nuanced logging question…however

So much wrong here

I have seen “Qualified, trained medical people” misdiagnose things across the board, and the ADD craze is almost a cliche for pill pushing doctors, often times this is a diagnosis for bad parenting.

Put a good kid in a challenging school, one you might have to pay for, and making sure they diet and exercise well, this eliminates most of these problems

How do you know the medication is working?

He is VERY qualified to say what is going on with HIS body

If he is in public school, it very well might be the teachers, my son went to the same high school I went to, based on a change of politics and local demographics of living near the southern border, the classes he was taking at the HS level were akin to what he took in his private middle school, this was my mistake thinking my old high school would be anything like it was, we pulled him out, he got his GED, tested into a community college and is now close to his MBA

The issue the poster here has is mostly bad parents, I have seen many parents who like the idea of having kids but are not equipped to raise them, this leads to high energy little adults being raised by no idiot left behind poorly performing schools and medicated into compliance to the lowest common denominator

Depending on what issues caused the hospital visits, he should go talk to a AME off the books and go take the ADD tests, maybe there is a unofficial cheap version to see how he would do

In the big picture of becoming a pilot (I fly mid sized jets for a living) 3-6k is nothing, but that is only if his possibly absent parents will pay for it, maybe get a job and pay for it himself?

Having a passion for being a controller online, making a account here, that’s doing better than most of the high school kids I saw with my sun, most didn’t even thing ahead to the next day, and most lacked the follow through or foresight to be a controller online or make an account on a place like this and ask these questions

Apologies for any typos, sent from my phone

“The issue the poster here has is mostly bad parents,”

Well alrighty then. I can’t say that I would have thought that as a possibility. So therefore you suggest that the OP get new parents?????

“The issue the poster here has is mostly bad parents,”

Well alrighty then. I can’t say that I would have thought that as a possibility. So therefore you suggest that the OP get new parents?????

You have never heard of someone having bad parents?

He is going to have to work harder compared to other kids and be much more independent

You have never heard of someone having bad parents?

He is going to have to work harder compared to other kids and be much more independent

My sarcastic and somewhat snarky reply was focused on your choice to come to the conclusion that he has bad parents from the information provided. My humble opinion is that one can’t really come to that conclusion, and in addition it has no usefulness to the objective.

My sarcastic and somewhat snarky reply was focused on your choice to come to the conclusion that he has bad parents from the information provided. My humble opinion is that one can’t really come to that conclusion, and in addition it has no usefulness to the objective.

You can’t play the hands you are dealt if you don’t look at what they are

So much wrong here

I have seen “Qualified, trained medical people” misdiagnose things across the board, and the ADD craze is almost a cliche for pill pushing doctors, often times this is a diagnosis for bad parenting.

Put a good kid in a challenging school, one you might have to pay for, and making sure they diet and exercise well, this eliminates most of these problems

If he is in public school, it very well might be the teachers, my son went to the same high school I went to, based on a change of politics and local demographics of living near the southern border, the classes he was taking at the HS level were akin to what he took in his private middle school, this was my mistake thinking my old high school would be anything like it was, we pulled him out, he got his GED, tested into a community college and is now close to his MBA

The issue the poster here has is mostly bad parents, I have seen many parents who like the idea of having kids but are not equipped to raise them, this leads to high energy little adults being raised by no idiot left behind poorly performing schools and medicated into compliance to the lowest common denominator

Depending on what issues caused the hospital visits, he should go talk to a AME off the books and go take the ADD tests, maybe there is a unofficial cheap version to see how he would do

In the big picture of becoming a pilot (I fly mid sized jets for a living) 3-6k is nothing, but that is only if his possibly absent parents will pay for it, maybe get a job and pay for it himself?

Having a passion for being a controller online, making a account here, that’s doing better than most of the high school kids I saw with my sun, most didn’t even thing ahead to the next day, and most lacked the follow through or foresight to be a controller online or make an account on a place like this and ask these questions

Don’t be shy just dive in.
Also, The FAA doesn’t care about bad parents.

So much wrong here

it doesn’t matter what you or the OP thinks. The facts are it’s in his records right or wrong so the road to a medical certificate will be long, arduous and expensive—that’s the reality of his situation. Point fingers all you want—it won’t get this kid any closer to realizing his dream, which quite frankly is a long shot if what he posted is true.

Last edited:
it doesn’t matter what you or the OP thinks. The facts are it’s in his records right or wrong so the road to a medical certificate will be long, arduous and expensive—that’s the reality of his situation. Point fingers all you want—it won’t get this kid any closer to realizing his dream, which quite frankly is a long shot if what he posted is true.

Being around the aviation world, every person I have heard of who spent the money and time to get over the ADD thing pass that test

I’m of the thinking that the mass majority of these kids are wrongly diagnosed, especially ones who can post on this forum, and can sit in front of a computer and play ATC, I don’t think I even have the patience for that

If he wants to become a professional pilot 3-6k is not that expensive, if he has the patience to go through the process he also probably doesn’t have “add”

I have seen “Qualified, trained medical people” misdiagnose things across the board
The issue the poster here has is mostly bad parents
that is only if his possibly absent parents will pay for it

So, I have to ask. Are you the OP?

You see very defensive of the guy and knowledgeable about his parents. Not something a random guy from a bing search would generally know. So, yeah, I call bull on the story about how you got here. Either you're the OP or got directed here by the OP.

Not being able to handle negative feedback is not a good sign for an aspiring pilot.

Note that I said:
All I know is what you have posted above.

Show me where any of my points were not based on what you said (previous to my post, info after my post doesn't count). My reasoning following the points is all mine, but based on the 5 points, I stand by them.

Note that I ended with:

Which I also stand by.

-----------------------------

If you came on here expecting me (since you quoted me) to suddenly apologize, well, that isn't going to happen. You seem to be quite angry at not being told what you came here to hear. But, let me say it now:
Hey, based upon what you said above, I see no problem you cannot get a Class I medical on your first visit to the AME. I even suspect that you could go ahead and pre fill out the forms and he'd sign them for you on the spot. Matter of fact, if you do that, they usually cut their rate in half!

Feel better now?

So much wrong here

Hello, sorry I haven't been active in a few days. I'm now looking over and to hear this post, out of my honest opinion is the closest if not accurate response to as what's going on. Ill start this off with saying I do go to a public school. I do online now, still feels the same as in person, but I cant put up with the bs of other kids messing around doing idiotic stuff and get my work done. Although I'm am no where near the best student, I've looked over and there is room for improvement. I live in what we call the "Delta Hub" its a city where almost all dads are delta pilots and a bunch have their own planes, mainly Vans Aircraft. I've been around them for quite some time and they all say for what I can do as a 16yo, is very impressive and I'm beyond smart. If a 16yo knows how to startup a plane, fly it and all this and control Atlanta Center even virtually, I can get thru school. So I will put a bit of school on my part. But on the other note about that, you get bad teachers. I've had them before, I'm not the only one. So I know what it's like and I'm in that spot right now. Ive done ALOT of research about adhd,add,the spectrum etc etc, so I know what's with my body so if something happens I can say its this and this and not know, I don't know many teenagers if not any who do that, its not an every day thing you will see a teen look up stuff about their body. I know my meds really don't do anything after being on for a few weeks then off, its the exact same. So I think its just a matter of managing my anger and self reflecting every day. I will most likely get those tests as you can tell, I want to be a pilot. After seeing the aspects of how pilots work from the atc side, ground ops side and then actually flying the plane, it makes most sense for me to be going as a pilot, as I've wanted to my whole life. About having a passion for being a controller, it started since I got a pc, I said to myself and I quote myself, "I will get to the point where I want, No one will stop me and I will get there even if there is a rocky path." I don't see the every day of a teenager doing something that can take on a profession in the aviation field. Like you go to most kids what are they playing, warzone,fortnite,minecraft etc. Most definitely not controlling planes virtually willing to learn more and try to pursue a dream with a rocky road ahead. So ya, I think if I go over everything with a willing AME whos ready to help me, willing to help me and wants me to get this, Ill shoot my shot have a consult get some more info and go from there. I'll let you know If I have any questions.

Hello, sorry I haven't been active in a few days. I'm now looking over and to hear this post, out of my honest opinion is the closest if not accurate response to as what's going on. Ill start this off with saying I do go to a public school. I do online now, still feels the same as in person, but I cant put up with the bs of other kids messing around doing idiotic stuff and get my work done. Although I'm am no where near the best student, I've looked over and there is room for improvement. I live in what we call the "Delta Hub" its a city where almost all dads are delta pilots and a bunch have their own planes, mainly Vans Aircraft. I've been around them for quite some time and they all say for what I can do as a 16yo, is very impressive and I'm beyond smart. If a 16yo knows how to startup a plane, fly it and all this and control Atlanta Center even virtually, I can get thru school. So I will put a bit of school on my part. But on the other note about that, you get bad teachers. I've had them before, I'm not the only one. So I know what it's like and I'm in that spot right now. Ive done ALOT of research about adhd,add,the spectrum etc etc, so I know what's with my body so if something happens I can say its this and this and not know, I don't know many teenagers if not any who do that, its not an every day thing you will see a teen look up stuff about their body. I know my meds really don't do anything after being on for a few weeks then off, its the exact same. So I think its just a matter of managing my anger and self reflecting every day. I will most likely get those tests as you can tell, I want to be a pilot. After seeing the aspects of how pilots work from the atc side, ground ops side and then actually flying the plane, it makes most sense for me to be going as a pilot, as I've wanted to my whole life. About having a passion for being a controller, it started since I got a pc, I said to myself and I quote myself, "I will get to the point where I want, No one will stop me and I will get there even if there is a rocky path." I don't see the every day of a teenager doing something that can take on a profession in the aviation field. Like you go to most kids what are they playing, warzone,fortnite,minecraft etc. Most definitely not controlling planes virtually willing to learn more and try to pursue a dream with a rocky road ahead. So ya, I think if I go over everything with a willing AME whos ready to help me, willing to help me and wants me to get this, Ill shoot my shot have a consult get some more info and go from there. I'll let you know If I have any questions.

You need to be able to handle distractions in this industry

As far as the medical part, go ask some of the delta dads for a good ame who they use for tuff cases, don’t complete a medexpress forum, just ask for a consult, go over everything with him, go from there

Good luck

You need to be able to handle distractions in this industry

As far as the medical part, go ask some of the delta dads for a good ame who they use for tuff cases, don’t complete a medexpress forum, just ask for a consult, go over everything with him, go from there

Good luck
and after 401 came CRM. 401 is such an interesting incident.

Anyway, ADHD and ASD seem to be subjective. Like I've posted before, I was diagnosed with ADHD and ASD at a young age (we're talking like 4 years old). My ASD diagnosis was odd though since even in my original diagnosis the doctor said "Differential diagnosis between ASD and a tic disorder such as Tourette’s plus ADHD remains a question". My ASD diagnosis was never really mentioned again in any of my other 130+ pages of medical records except for at the top of every visit a list of all diagnoses made, so the FAA may have looked at that and said that the ASD and Tics diagnosis was questionable at best. I only had to do a neuropsychological eval with Cogscreen and that was it; no psychiatric eval. Yours may be different depending on the frequency that your ASD diagnosis is mentioned I imagine.

Disclaimer: I'm an AME myself and I work with a HIMS AME at his office but am not yet HIMS trained myself.
I suggest making an appointment with an experienced HIMS AME and discussing your situation. This will help you understand the estimated: likelihood of getting a medical, cost, and time. Depending on where you live or where you are willing to travel, I am happy to recommend one to you.

Disclaimer: I'm an AME myself and I work with a HIMS AME at his office but am not yet HIMS trained myself.
I suggest making an appointment with an experienced HIMS AME and discussing your situation. This will help you understand the estimated: likelihood of getting a medical, cost, and time. Depending on where you live or where you are willing to travel, I am happy to recommend one to you.

WELCOME to PoA, doctor! Nice to have a new member who's an AME!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back