I voted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too! :thumbsup:

I must confess that I look at this day partly as my opportunity to get even.

-Rich

me too. got my fingers crossed most of them turn out the right way!

Done.

And managed to jump through the last-minute hoops for my father's absentee ballot.

Today is take out the trash on tuesday..!!

Vote early, Vote often.......

Me too!

Although, I'll have to admit, it was hard to get excited about some of my choices. It was "hold the nose" for several races. :frown3:

I voted absentee a couple weeks ago. It was nice to be able to sit down with my ballot and spend hours going through all the choices.

I also took the trash out this morning. ;)

Actually, not permitted to vote there either anymore...:cryin: I'm fully disenfranchised.
Now you have me curious as to why that is. While I loved overseas I was permitted to vote in my 'home of record', my SO was too. My cousin, who has lived as an expat in several countries (S. Korea, China, Saudi Arabia, Australia) was always permitted to vote in the US. Why are the Canadians stopping you from voting in your home election?

I was standing there coloring in the little ovals on the back of the ballot and I found out that my sister-in-law is running for some agriculture board. Evidently she hasn't been campaigning hard. I voted for her. It said to vote for no more than five, and there were only four names on the ballot.

Now you have me curious as to why that is. While I loved overseas I was permitted to vote in my 'home of record', my SO was too. My cousin, who has lived as an expat in several countries (S. Korea, China, Saudi Arabia, Australia) was always permitted to vote in the US. Why are the Canadians stopping you from voting in your home election?

The US is somewhat unique in the area of expat voting.

For me to cast an absentee ballot in Canada I need to satisfy two conditions:
  1. I must have resided in Canada within the past 5 years
  2. I must have a bona fide intention to return to reside in Canada within the next five years

I meet the first criteria (for now), but not the second.

I am also (by descent) a citizen of the Republic of Ireland (as opposed to Northern Ireland which is part of the UK). They have similar rules, and since I have never lived there, I have no vote in their elections.

The US is also unique in that US Citizens are required to report worldwide income on their taxes each year, and in the absence of a tax treaty with the country of residence, pay federal income tax on foreign income.

For Canada, I no longer have to file tax returns there or report my US based income...the year I moved was ugly in that I had income in both countries, and had to apply the bilateral tax treaty to figure out which country got what money!

We vote by mail. Sent in my ballot last week.

In line at 7AM. Done!

And I still want the "None of the Above" option.

someday, maybe.

I have been presented with no viable choices. My vote is for none of the above.

Voted about two weeks ago, but we won't know who won for another two weeks, because Murray will need time to get all the dead felons to vote.

Hey, hey...we already have SZ threads on all this stuff!

That means it is probably time for you to start considering running for office yourself.

I did a few years back. The requirements to get on the ballot were ridiculous if you weren't nominated by one of the big two.

I did a few years back. The requirements to get on the ballot were ridiculous if you weren't nominated by one of the big two.
Fully agree. Both times I had to get on the ballot if was a PITA! But I did it. One of my wins was because my opponents, who got more votes than me, did not file their paperwork properly. I was declared the winner.

One of my wins was because my opponents, who got more votes than me, did not file their paperwork properly. I was declared the winner.
So you circumvented the will of the people by following the rules?

DONE, also!

Blew a lumbar disc suddenly 10 days ago, lost the use of my left leg, and was not able to pee - it was this last that bought it to a head...

Had surgery a week ago today... Gimped my way out to the truck this morning and carefully drove to town... THought about parking in the handicap slot right at the front door but I'm allergic to 100 dollar fines... Took me a couple of minutes to walk (I use the term loosely) from the lot... But, the deed is done... It's the consequences I dread (when my sweetie finds out I 'drove' - she's gonna be hot)....

denny-o

Fully agree. Both times I had to get on the ballot if was a PITA! But I did it. One of my wins was because my opponents, who got more votes than me, did not file their paperwork properly. I was declared the winner.

I forget what the numbers were, exactly, but in order to get on the ballot, I had to get something like 15% of the voting public to "vote for me" before they even voted for me. The expense alone of trying to get my name out there would have been ridiculous, let alone the time it was going to take to try and convince that many people to sign the petition.

So you circumvented the will of the people by following the rules?
Yep.

My first election was as a write in. In Illinois there are a lot of hoops to jump through to be a write. I know one person got 15 votes yet lost to me with my 7 votes because he failed to register as a write in candidate. Another person lost to me with his 10 votes because he only registered as a write-in in one county when the office that we were running for is for a district that was in two counties. Several of his votes came from that county that he was not registered in and the votes were discarded.

I forget what the numbers were, exactly, but in order to get on the ballot, I had to get something like 15% of the voting public to "vote for me" before they even voted for me. The expense alone of trying to get my name out there would have been ridiculous, let alone the time it was going to take to try and convince that many people to sign the petition.

I'm not saying this to slam you Fred, but I've been told that one of the reasons for that is to keep people out who are not real serious about running for an office. I had a friend who ran for city council. He had to get all the signatures to file. Then he had to go through a primary election. He didn't get more than fifty percent of the primary vote, so he ended up having to go through a run-off vote. Finally he had to campaign the final election. He won, thank goodness, but it was an ordeal.

Last edited:
I voted, holding my nose all the way.

One of these days I hope to vote for someone because I believe they will do a good job rather than screw things up less than the other guy.

I voted, holding my nose all the way.

One of these days I hope to vote for someone because I believe they will do a good job rather than screw things up less than the other guy.

Good luck with that.:incazzato:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back