I used the chute today. I am lucky to be alive.

I took a ride in a powered parachute in 2003 at an area fly-in, and I was hooked! I didn't have a pilot's license, nor had I really considered it, but that PP ride had me dreaming of getting into the air quickly. The feller that gave me the ride also sold'em (but of course!), and I was one day away from writing him a fat check for my own PP when I ran across a newly-minted CFI who talked me out of it, thank goodness. Instead, I used that money to begin flight training. Still, I think having a PP would be neat if I lived in a scenic area with very low n' slow sight-seeing opportunities, but I live in West Tumbleweed Texas.

A long time ago In a land far far away I had a PP up to 7,000' but doing touch and goes and staying below 50' was a lot more fun. It was an awesome way to take the edge off but flying around at 25 mph did get old after awhile. My local airport is a mile and a half away from town, one flight it took me 45 mins. to get there! Could have waked it quicker.

Ya know what.
Until yesterday, I wasn't sure I could jump out of a plane.

I added it to the list after riding in that. I could totally do it.
I swear each flying method is just a gateway drug to the next one :yes:

Do the AFF thing. I did the first jump in the AFF program a few years back. Free fall was intense but it was totally awesome once I popped the chute. Then I felt in my element. I hesitated a heartbeat on the exit and, on the ground, me and my primary instructor had a little disagreement as to whether I jumped or whether he pushed me out.

There were a couple of guys with powered parachutes pretty close to us. I used to see them fairly frequently, but it has been at least two years (maybe more) since I have seen them flying. I think the new must have worn off :).

Its a blast! - Still pretty expensive for the whole rig... atleast when I looked into it. Was about the cost of a PPL for training 'chute, Harness and Reserve 'chute.

True, but after that it's basically just fuel. Whereas after the PPL, it's $$$$$$$$$$. Especially if you're dumb enough to get your multi. :D

In looking at planes that we could keep at the house, one consideration is definitely how much fuel it would use. The idea would be something that would be very cheap to operate so we could go count cows, etc.

So I started a thread in the experimental/homebuilts section. What's takeoff and landing distance? Now I'm interested.

You looked a little white-knuckled on takeoff. Seriously, youll do THAT but wont go jump tandem with me?? Talk about two guys uncomfortably close to one another...!

Do the AFF thing. I did the first jump in the AFF program a few years back. Free fall was intense but it was totally awesome once I popped the chute. Then I felt in my element. I hesitated a heartbeat on the exit and, on the ground, me and my primary instructor had a little disagreement as to whether I jumped or whether he pushed me out.

Yeah, you hesitate on the exit count we WILL drag you out! :yes:

You fly it w/ your feet.
The pilot had that selfie stick out the whole time.

Kinda funny looking.

Lol...that's awesome. IF I went up in one of those, I think I'd prefer the pilot to be focusing on flying rather than positioning the selfie stick...hah

That's a whole bunch of nope right there. I've jumped out of a plane, but I'm not interested in this. If you really want to just experience you and the wind, try a glider. They're actually capable of flight.

Back