I understand it, I just don't get it...

Where do you live that you can go more than 1 minutes without hearing an aircraft fly overhead? I’m not sure I’ve ever experienced that.
Where I live in SW Saskatchewan, I'll hear an airliner pass high overhead maybe once a week. Decades ago there were lots of small airplanes out here, owned by farmers; now there are hardly any. There is one cropsprayer a couple of miles away, and I heard him this morning. He hasn't been busy at all this season, with the shortages of chemicals, and their costs, affecting all the farmers.

This is quiet country. Love it.

Where I live in SW Saskatchewan, I'll hear an airliner pass high overhead maybe once a week. Decades ago there were lots of small airplanes out here, owned by farmers; now there are hardly any. There is one cropsprayer a couple of miles away, and I heard him this morning. He hasn't been busy at all this season, with the shortages of chemicals, and their costs, affecting all the farmers.

This is quiet country. Love it.

Darn rare for a plane to pass over my farm. Usually if they do, they land, but occasionally they just fly over, or circle, once a year or so.
I don't think many people grasp how remote the area is.

Someone recently sent me a PM asking about flying in commercially.
The nearest commercial flight lands a long way away.
If they do come visit, I would fly my plane to pick them up, not drive.
They can walk from the terminal down the far west end of the airport, where I have a gate key for, and I'll let them in.
Sparsely populated is an understatement.

A couple of years ago my son called me about an airliner passing overhead west of him. He lives northeast of us, about 25 miles away as the crow flies. He said the airliner looked lower than usual, and pretty slow. Thought something might be wrong.

I went to planefinder, found it, and it was an A380 travelling from somewhere in Europe to the US. Huge airplanes look lower and slower than they are.

Big event here. An airplane flying over.

Where do you live that you can go more than 10 minutes without hearing an aircraft fly overhead? I’m not sure I’ve ever experienced that.
ha....yeah, sometimes it does seem that way for sure.
I'm in NE FL just outside Jacksonville. Lots of nearby airways....
but I've observed this odd phenomena many times in many places.

Where do you live that you can go more than 10 minutes without hearing an aircraft fly overhead? I’m not sure I’ve ever experienced that.

Not Brad, but...

9/11/2001, San Francisco Bay area...

Never realized how much a part of the aural environment airplane sounds were until they went away for a few days. Sad and unsettling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was less than half a mile from the end of the runway at Andrews AFB on 9/11. Plenty of extra loud airplane noise all day.

NYC, a few days after 9/11. There was nothing in the air. No civilian, no military. That day there was a scheduled photo-recon flight over the site. At the command center they announced several times that there was going to be a US military fly over at some specific time to take photographs. Along the lines of "...repeat, US navy aircraft fly over at...", or whatever it was. My take away was that not every group was sure that they knew which other groups were there. But maybe those types of announcements are routine in a combined force operation. Either way, it was definitely a weird day.

I spent a weekend at an AirBnB at a house overlooking the Mississippi River. On the fridge was a list of tugboats that have been spotted by guests. We were invited to add to it.

It was actually a pleasant activity. Quiet. Slow-paced. Done from the comfort of a nice sofa. Gotta be much nicer than spotting airliners and trains.

Back