I think this is a "over the top gadgets" spoof.. but maybe not.

TheGolfPilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Golfpilot

If this really exists, it needs to be stopped. This guy is practically in permanent IMC with that Ipad in his face. If you need this to fly a plane (especially one with a g1000) you shouldn't be flying.

Why is everyone so concerned about single pilots? I'm a single pilot! It's true I was a married student pilot, but I've got 250+ hours since being re-singled.

Actually, that sounds no worse than an EFB app, and probably no better either. Like a lot of automation, it moves all the workload up front, and mistakes probably won't show up until later. If you don't tell it your assigned runway, it won't monitor it (at least, not correctly).

It's a good thing they have put some attention into the distractions; it really is a big problem with all the iGadgets. But, it remains to be seen if they are successful. Designing a good user interface is quite difficult, and it will have to be incredibly good to accomplish their goal. For instance, it's not helpful if the voice command interface tells you to repeat yourself 50 times because it can't distinguish your voice from the very noisy ambient environment.

It's a good thing they have put some attention into the distractions; it really is a big problem with all the iGadgets. But, it remains to be seen if they are successful. Designing a good user interface is quite difficult, and it will have to be incredibly good to accomplish their goal. For instance, it's not helpful if the voice command interface tells you to repeat yourself 50 times because it can't distinguish your voice from the very noisy ambient environment.

I'd love to have enough aural alerts to get the EFB out of my scan entirely. Voice commands would be cool too. "Betty, what's the weather at KXYZ?"

I'd love to have enough aural alerts to get the EFB out of my scan entirely. Voice commands would be cool too. "Betty, what's the weather at KXYZ?"
My pilot buddy had voice commands in his cockpit. He's a high-tech guy, ya know.
"Honey, what's the weather at KXYZ?"
:D

The voice activated stuff would be nice. But no way I'd mount the iPad where he had it.

John

I'm not getting the need for this with a G1000. The G1000 makes this a tinker toy. Maybe for those who like glass and don't have a G1000 but otherwise a waste of time, money, and most importantly view!! Oh, and I agree, get a haircut you hippe

This almost reminds me of your typical weekend warrior. All he needs is a Garmin 396 next to the compass, "just in case."

It does cover a lot of view out the windshield. I don't like that. But what the ell, someone who'd fill their windshield with that would find something else in the cockpit to look at anyway if that wasn't there so why not. Maybe a case can be made for at least it keeps your head up a little and you can look around it

If I know I'm going to fly in solid IMC with approaches, I've got a mount that puts an iPad MINI in nearly that same location, but down in that "hole" below where that one is mounted, VERTICAL not horizontal, and it articulates so it's flatter against the side wall and window.

Keeps hands free and the approach plate up in view, similar to having it on a yoke clip.

But that bigger iPad up higher is kinda silly.

I suspect a lot of folks think that thing is sticking out a lot, though. The window is further back away from the camera than the lens they're shooting with shows, due to crappy depth of field.

Back